E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding not sticking

07-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
bimmerdavid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Coding not sticking

So I've been in my car a few different times doing some different coding. This last time I changed a couple other things in NFRM and noticed that my AE DRL's and a few other things changed back to the defaults. Is there a step I'm missing to make them persistent when coding again?
      07-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdavid335
So I've been in my car a few different times doing some different coding. This last time I changed a couple other things in NFRM and noticed that my AE DRL's and a few other things changed back to the defaults. Is there a step I'm missing to make them persistent when coding again?
If you're coding anything via nettodat; it will be lost each time you recode via .man.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
bimmerdavid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdavid335
If you're coding anything via nettodat; it will be lost each time you recode via .man.
I've only been using ncsexpert. Does it go to default when I read the ecu and get the trc file?
      07-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

No; reading should not change anything.

Are you using an expert profile and is it set up correctly?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
bimmerdavid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
No; reading should not change anything.

Are you using an expert profile and is it set up correctly?
As far as I know, yes. I followed the digital speedo tutorial and setup my profile that way. It codes fine and have never had an issue. When I write them, they work. It's only if I go back into that module and change something else, the others go back to their defaults.
      07-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
It doesn't sound like you are in expert mode or have expert mode setup correctly. Also make sure the .MAN file is clear when you finish coding or are switching to different modules. Check back over your steps because I think you have something simple wrong.
      07-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

I agree this has to be something simple. Not to state the obvious, but are you sure you're modifying the file you read out and not the one you have stored with your stock configuration? So in essence...the only coding that would stick would be what you are currently changing while everything else is reverting back to factory configuration? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
bimmerdavid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
It doesn't sound like you are in expert mode or have expert mode setup correctly. Also make sure the .MAN file is clear when you finish coding or are switching to different modules. Check back over your steps because I think you have something simple wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
I agree this has to be something simple. Not to state the obvious, but are you sure you're modifying the file you read out and not the one you have stored with your stock configuration? So in essence...the only coding that would stick would be what you are currently changing while everything else is reverting back to factory configuration? Just a thought.
So I have seen the .trc file being overwritten everytime I read based on timestamp. I also overwrite when renaming it to .MAN. When I write to the car, it works fine, and what I've coded is there. It only changes/disappears when I go to read that module again to change something else, it goes back to the default.
      03-29-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdavid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
So I have seen the .trc file being overwritten everytime I read based on timestamp. I also overwrite when renaming it to .MAN. When I write to the car, it works fine, and what I've coded is there. It only changes/disappears when I go to read that module again to change something else, it goes back to the default.
So use write is read of sg coderin? How do you fix this I'm running into the same problem
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedamanualse90 View Post
So use write is read of sg coderin? How do you fix this I'm running into the same problem
What profile(s) do you have listed in NCS?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:12 AM   #11
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
I'm going crazy 😜. I'm using expert mode psw.man is set for manipulation. What's crazy is I know my profile is correct. When I code the battery to 70ah_agm only the coding works and I can check back. When I code both together or just the power class to 2. I get this coding error in the picture below.
I also tried coding through NETTODAT.MAN and same error?!?! Please help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0