E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D smoking issue

03-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
Oogle44
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D E92 (Stage 1)

Hello

I own a 2007 335D E92 which has been remapped.

For the last 6 months I have been completely chasing my tail with it trying to sort a couple of issue including an issue with it smoking on startup. See video:

This only happens on a cold start, and the smoke clears after about a minute. It also has a distinct smell of unburnt fuel to it. I've had the turbos checked, they're fine, I've had a new intercooler, new boost pipes, changed the crankcase breather. I'm wondering if my last port of call is maybe glow plugs? The car also feels like it's struggling to start a bit on a cold sometimes, but not all the time. As you can see from that video it start fine but is a bit lumpy when it does. I'm just wary of throwing more money at it because I've already spent a fortune. And it's a big enough job to get to glow plugs if that is the problem. So I want to be sure.

Any ideas or anyone had a similar issue?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
def1nity
Rep
Drives: e90 330d pre-LCI

That's a leaky injector I'm pretty sure. The reason why it smokes so much on cold start is probably condensation + an injector that leaks in the cylinder when the car is off. Then when you start, it smokes since the A/F mixture is messed up. That's why you can smell the unburnt fuel. The starting trouble is also a symptom of a bad injector, even in this video it is starting very wonky. It should start very snappy with quarter of a turn generally considered good. Go have them injectors diagnosed and you'll see. Driving like this can lead to catastrophic damage so sort it out asap if you want a car to drive/sell.
Appreciate 0