E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DEF tank refill

03-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

DEF tank refill

Hey guys. Just had my DEF tank replaced. The bottom cap is the active tank refill correct? The top one is like a reservoir to fill the active tank up when it gets low if I recall correctly, but is the top tank suppose to be pressurized if you remove the cap? I topped off both tanks so i don't have to deal with it for a while, but if i remove the top cap after driving cycle its pressurized and DEF starts to spill out. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:55 PM   #2
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

I'm not an expert but I believe both tanks are atmospherically vented and neither should be pressurized. DEF should not pour out (other than a little that my be sitting in the filler pipe) when the cap is removed. I only fill the passive tank to prevent the DEF from getting stale/old and possibly overfilling which can end up plugging the vent filter if the DEF crystallizes in vent. When I get the xxx miles to no start, I simply fill the passive tank with one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. The pump will move it to the active tank. No start warning goes away after a few miles as I recall. 2.5 gallons for me is about 10K miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #3
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
I'm not an expert but I believe both tanks are atmospherically vented and neither should be pressurized. DEF should not pour out (other than a little that my be sitting in the filler pipe) when the cap is removed. I only fill the passive tank to prevent the DEF from getting stale/old and possibly overfilling which can end up plugging the vent filter if the DEF crystallizes in vent. When I get the xxx miles to no start, I simply fill the passive tank with one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. The pump will move it to the active tank. No start warning goes away after a few miles as I recall. 2.5 gallons for me is about 10K miles.
Cool thanks. I actually popped open the cap again and it was no longer pressurized.
Appreciate 0