E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valvetronic Code P10E3-Car Won't Start

03-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
andrews920
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i M-Sport

Valvetronic Code P10E3-Car Won't Start

2011 e90 sedan with n55 motor has 76k miles.

Drove about 20 miles this morning then parked car for ~10 minutes. Came out to start it back up and it attempted to crank and then failed. Gave me engine reduced power on the idrive.

Checked codes with MHD immediately. Only one code:

0x3719 , P10E3 : Valvetronic relay, supply voltage: short circuit to earth

I assume its just the relay for the Valvetronic. Although, I am not sure exactly which relay it is. Is it possible to just replace the relay or fuse and restart the car or do I have to relearn the vavletronic? is it dangerous to try and start the car again?

The reason I suspect it is just a fuse is because I already had the F01 fuse (code 2F8B) for the ignition coils fail on me and leave me stranded. I replaced that fuse though.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews920 View Post
2011 e90 sedan with n55... Came out to start it back up and it attempted to crank and then failed. Gave me engin.. Only one code: 0x3719 , P10E3 : Valvetronic relay, supply voltage: short circuit to earth
I assume its just the relay for the Valvetronic. [Suggest testing for short to ground (Resistance/Ohms near-zero) at Pin #5 of Connector X6319 at the VVT Relay, K6319a in schematic below] Although, I am not sure exactly which relay it is. Is it possible to just replace the relay or fuse and restart the car or do I have to relearn the vavletronic? [NO, just like turning off ignition turns off power to VVT] is it dangerous to try and start the car again? [If there is a short to ground, fuse F04 will blow when you turn on Ignition (starting engine is irrelevant)]
Here are links to the TIS wiring diagram for Power Supply to the Valvetronic Relay (K6319a), and the "Installation Location" for that relay and its Connector (X6319):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...upply/CkOkr85a
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...relay/GIa14aVV

Here is a link to "BMW Fault Code Lookup" Fault Information Sheet for that fault. NOTE that the "Description" says: The fault is detected when there is a short circuit to ground." The "Service Plan" states (my interpretation added in brackets ;-):
- Check the lines and plug connections between the following components: DME & Valvetronic relay
[If no wiring short found, then]
- Replace the Valvetronic relay.
So, as stated above, I would FIRST check to see if fuse F04 is blown. Here is F04 Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-fuse/GImPxeab

Then test for near-zero resistance/ohms, in relation to ground, at Pin #5 of Connector X6319 at the relay (you don't have to blow more fuses to test for short ;-). That's the Red/Green wire that goes to the DME. If ~0 resistance, you have an issue with that wire and NOT the relay itself. You can also test the relay for proper operation, or perhaps an internal short. Also check for any sign of water in the E-box. I would suggest taking the time to do proper electrical testing with a multimeter. If any questions on how to do that, please post back.

George
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
andrews920
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i M-Sport

Initially, I just pulled both the K6319a and K6341 relays and then reinstalled them, and checked the fuses. No fuses were blown this time. The car started fine after that. I ended up replacing the K6319a relay and have had no issues since then. If it happens again I will also replace the K6341 relay since that is connected to the F01 fuse that blew a few months ago.

I think the relays may just be getting old and are sticking/not working properly.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0