E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Yet another "Where to Vacation" thread

03-10-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Yet another "Where to Vacation" thread

Wife desperate to go somewhere this summer, I am 100% against the idea. Prices are insane, i'd just rent a local cottage but apparently if we don't get on a plane it is not a holiday. But whatever, I am not going to win this battle.

So our needs are weird 'cos the wife is still covid cautious (don't turn this into another covid thread, it is what it fucking is, nothing gonna change her mind).

- Ideally beachfront or close enough
- Ideally part of or next to a resort but not a deal breaker
- Accommodations for 4
- Accommodation must be stand alone, no apartments with shared aircon for example. Could feasibly do a villa that is attached but so long as we can open windows or have own air
- Must have outdoor eating options, we won't be doing large gathering buffet all inclusive breakfast for eg
- Open to a VRBO or Air B and B but has to be close enough to a safe city for outdoor restaurants
- Ideally a direct flight from Toronto
- Looking at July/August
- $10K CDN all in, tops, absolute tops, less if we can
- Did I mention this is a waste of money? FML.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:32 AM   #2
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

We were going to do Maui, but prices are insane, nothing under $600/night and the fees are insane for airbnb, vrbo, vacation rentals etc.

Instead we are breaking it up into 3 trips and will still spend less than Maui.
5 Days in Clearwater, FL nice hotel on the beach. Under $300/night
3 Days in Key Largo, FL at a nice resort. Under $300/night
5 Days in Vegas. haven't decided where yet, there are lots of inexpensive options but we will probably stay at somewhere nice this time.
Will be mostly Hilton properties, we get a F&F discount.

We enjoy vacays and don't think it is a waste unless we feel like we are over paying and not getting any value.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
We were going to do Maui, but prices are insane, nothing under $600/night and the fees are insane for airbnb, vrbo, vacation rentals etc.

5 Days in Vegas. haven't decided where yet, there are lots of inexpensive options but we will probably stay at somewhere nice this time.

We enjoy vacays and don't think it is a waste unless we feel like we are over paying and not getting any value.
Oh I enjoy them too but we could rent a cottage for a week for about $2K if we split it with the wife's cousin. Swim, fish, fire etc, wonderful time. Or, spend 10K, hassle of flying and travelling with kids for basically the same experience as the cottage but salt water. It makes no fucking sense.

We do Maui on the way to Australia. Where do you stay in Clearwater? I keep thinking this may be an option. I just hate dealing with the US hidden fees and tipping culture, like just list the fucking ffs.

OT: That is a wonderful looking M3, jus wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:05 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
We do Maui on the way to Australia. Where do you stay in Clearwater? I keep thinking this may be an option. I just hate dealing with the US hidden fees and tipping culture, like just list the fucking ffs.

OT: That is a wonderful looking M3, jus wonderful.
Thanks!

We are staying at the DoubleTree Beach Resort, looks pretty cool, we haven't really explored the area much so we plan to do some of that when not relaxing on the beach.

I used to live in Toronto, so I know what you mean about the US tipping culture but it's really not that much more given the expectations now shifted in Canada also. Being in the US domestic flights are so much easier and cheap, plus no us customs to deal with.

Summers are nice in Toronto so I'd say do the cottage stuff in the summer, travel to a nicer place during the not so great months.

We like visiting new places and usually have to be forced to relax, if we goto the same place twice we tend to get bored. So everyone's different in what they like.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Biggest issue living here other than the weather is it's cottage or plane, nowhere nice to drive to and plonk yourself on a beach for a week.
Appreciate 1
tdott3930.50
      03-10-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
HappynHealthy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Wife desperate to go somewhere this summer, I am 100% against the idea. Prices are insane, i'd just rent a local cottage but apparently if we don't get on a plane it is not a holiday. But whatever, I am not going to win this battle.

So our needs are weird 'cos the wife is still covid cautious (don't turn this into another covid thread, it is what it fucking is, nothing gonna change her mind).

- Ideally beachfront or close enough
- Ideally part of or next to a resort but not a deal breaker
- Accommodations for 4
- Accommodation must be stand alone, no apartments with shared aircon for example. Could feasibly do a villa that is attached but so long as we can open windows or have own air
- Must have outdoor eating options, we won't be doing large gathering buffet all inclusive breakfast for eg
- Open to a VRBO or Air B and B but has to be close enough to a safe city for outdoor restaurants
- Ideally a direct flight from Toronto
- Looking at July/August
- $10K CDN all in, tops, absolute tops, less if we can
- Did I mention this is a waste of money? FML.

Any suggestions appreciated.
They book up fast,. Skipping this year for another place

Our goto for 3 years of Covid vacations was figure 8 island off of the coast of Wilmington, NC

Figure8island.com had an awesome house - with an elevator!!

Check out 16 Comber Road on the island its the closest to the water from google earth. There's many others but this one was so good we stayed 3 YRS in a row
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #7
MunkyTool
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

You can find cheaper options on Big Island or Oahu. Maui is deff the most expensive of the Hawaiian islands.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 10:41 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyTool View Post
You can find cheaper options on Big Island or Oahu. Maui is deff the most expensive of the Hawaiian islands.
True, we already did Oahu in the past and wanted to try another island. But I think FL will get us some of the beach scenery without the flight hassle and added expense.

We'll definitely visit there some time, hopefully when things are a little less crazy.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11091.00
      03-10-2023, 12:40 PM   #9
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

So, I'm going through the same scenario kind of.
Was going to do Dominican Republic b/c its reasonable. Totally forgot our Passports expired and cant expedite them in time.
The decided Sandals Bahamas. Well dumb azz that I am, you need a Passport for Bahamas UNLESS you are on a cruise. Duhhhhh

My travel agent just sent me this. Looks amazing! You said 4 people so if that includes 2 kids, this may be out....and its def not cheap but it checks most of your boxes

https://www.bungalowskeylargo.com/

Anyone been?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 01:32 PM   #10
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
So, I'm going through the same scenario kind of.
Was going to do Dominican Republic b/c its reasonable. Totally forgot our Passports expired and cant expedite them in time.
The decided Sandals Bahamas. Well dumb azz that I am, you need a Passport for Bahamas UNLESS you are on a cruise. Duhhhhh

My travel agent just sent me this. Looks amazing! You said 4 people so if that includes 2 kids, this may be out....and its def not cheap but it checks most of your boxes

https://www.bungalowskeylargo.com/

Anyone been?
no but read the reviews. Awful.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I don't know how nice the beaches are but I have heard that the Alabama gulf shores are a less expensive way to beach vacation. I have never been but I've had some friends and coworkers mention it was cheaper and their families enjoyed the experience.
      03-10-2023, 02:21 PM   #12
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyTool View Post
100% agreed. Was going to chime in and recommend trying a different island than Maui to save some cash.
tdott3930.50
      03-10-2023, 02:36 PM   #13
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
no but read the reviews. Awful.
I didnt even get that far but thanks for pointing it out. At that price point it better be like a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:42 PM   #14
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Yet another "Where to Vacation" thread

Not in Mexico.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4467.00
RickFLM410880.50
      03-10-2023, 04:21 PM   #15
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Any recommendations in Jamaica? Seeing some really ideal looking places in Negril but a right pain in the arse to get to, 2 hours from the dang airport.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 04:29 PM   #16
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Punta Cana

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 04:37 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Punta Cana
This. If I want a relaxing vacation on a beach for reasonable $$ it's either Cancun or Punta Cana. I know people who rent houses and what not, but personally I just stay at one of the all inclusives and call it a day. Haven't been in a few years. I know OP said no buffets or what not, but there are plenty of nice all inclusives that offer a la carte or room service options for breakfast and lunch.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2023, 05:36 PM   #18
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Eastern Caribbean.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:00 PM   #19
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
This. If I want a relaxing vacation on a beach for reasonable $$ it's either Cancun or Punta Cana. I know people who rent houses and what not, but personally I just stay at one of the all inclusives and call it a day. Haven't been in a few years. I know OP said no buffets or what not, but there are plenty of nice all inclusives that offer a la carte or room service options for breakfast and lunch.
It’s all taken care of for you and you don’t have to touch your debit card or wallet once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 06:17 PM   #20
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Traveling with kids or no?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:42 PM   #21
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Sorry, yes two kids. I am leaning resort because the kids, imho, will get bored just on a beach all week. By that I mean say we rent a villa in a small complex, I see them in Negril for example, it's just a beach, not much to do. There's decent looking bars and the like but the kids will be bored. At a resort, there's more to do but finding accommodations where we control the airflow and it is not centralised, is very difficult, as is non-buffet dining.

I realise i am being difficult but this is what I am facing and why a cottage with the cousins would work better but again, I am not winning this battle. Wife has gone through hell at work the past month so she is going to want a reward for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh keep in mind we have a great pool in our yard so novelty of water activity will wear off pretty fast.
Appreciate 0