E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > CD Changer Retrofit

05-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

CD Changer Retrofit

I recently retrofitted a BMW 6 stack CD changer in to an E90 320i. There is a retrofit guide on here somewhere so if you follow that you should be okay. However I had issues with the wiring in at the MOST ring.
Here is how my setup was

You needed to insert the CD changer wiring in the top block in to the MOST ring by including it in the bottom block. The guide says to move all of the wires across one in the top row of the bottom block and insert the wire from pin 5 in the top block in to pin 1. Then the bottom wire in the top block was to be removed from pin 5 and placed in to the next available slot. When I did this the it disconnected the ULF and the phone stopped working. After talking to a BMW Master tech, he told me to move the conveluted wire from pin 2 in the bottom block in to pin 3 and insert the CD wire out of pin 5 in to pin 2. I could leave the outbound wire in the bottom block in pin 3, the next available slot.

I then plugged my OPS head in and coded the changer using the SSS as follows by going in to the load software section and selecting retrofits:

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

The battery didn't need to be changed, you just had to say it was. So if you have somebody with the SSS that is how you code the changer to the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

Sorry to revive a thread that's almost 10 years old!

The world was a different world 10 years ago, thats for sure!

Does the O/P or anyone know why the BMW CD Changer retrofit guide (attached) gives wrong information about the MOST wiring block re-arrangement?

Could it be that the BMW guide does not apply to cars fitted with a Bluetooth telephone?

I am looking to retrofit a used BMW CD Changer to my E92 Pre-LCI 330d with Idrive and Bluetooth telephone and am now unsure whether that BMW guide contains the correct MOST re-arrangement information for my car?

See my current thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...7#post26203027

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CD Changer Retrofit.pdf (569.9 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by bmw_solid; 05-20-2020 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:43 AM   #8
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

I suspect you are using the wrong EBA guide. The one you have is for the US market, I used the attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CD Changer retrofit EBA guide.pdf (1.39 MB, 566 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:33 AM   #9
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
I suspect you are using the wrong EBA guide. The one you have is for the US market, I used the attached.
Hi, Thanks for the guide.

Is this guide the one you used to modify the MOST blocks and ended up stopping your bluetooth telephone from working?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #10
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
Hi, Thanks for the guide.

Is this guide the one you used to modify the MOST blocks and ended up stopping your bluetooth telephone from working?

Thanks.
Yes. This is how I wired it in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:31 AM   #11
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I recently retrofitted a BMW 6 stack CD changer in to an E90 320i. There is a retrofit guide on here somewhere so if you follow that you should be okay. However I had issues with the wiring in at the MOST ring.
Here is how my setup was

You needed to insert the CD changer wiring in the top block in to the MOST ring by including it in the bottom block. The guide says to move all of the wires across one in the top row of the bottom block and insert the wire from pin 5 in the top block in to pin 1. Then the bottom wire in the top block was to be removed from pin 5 and placed in to the next available slot. When I did this the it disconnected the ULF and the phone stopped working. After talking to a BMW Master tech, he told me to move the conveluted wire from pin 2 in the bottom block in to pin 3 and insert the CD wire out of pin 5 in to pin 2. I could leave the outbound wire in the bottom block in pin 3, the next available slot.

I then plugged my OPS head in and coded the changer using the SSS as follows by going in to the load software section and selecting retrofits:
Thanks for the pictures.

I'm a bit confused as in your original post (above) you mentioned the following:

"The guide says to move all of the wires across one in the top row of the bottom block" - correct.

"and insert the wire from pin 5 in the top block to..." In the EBA guide, it says PIN 2 not PIN 5?

"in to pin 1 (bottom block)." correct

"Then the bottom wire in the top block was to be removed from pin 5" Again, EBA guide says PIN 2?

"and placed in to the next available slot (bottom block)." correct

Am I reading it wrong? Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:46 AM   #12
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
Thanks for the pictures.

I'm a bit confused as in your original post (above) you mentioned the following:

"The guide says to move all of the wires across one in the top row of the bottom block" - correct.

"and insert the wire from pin 5 in the top block to..." In the EBA guide, it says PIN 2 not PIN 5?

"in to pin 1 (bottom block)." correct

"Then the bottom wire in the top block was to be removed from pin 5" Again, EBA guide says PIN 2?

"and placed in to the next available slot (bottom block)." correct

Am I reading it wrong? Thanks,
It is that long ago I can't quite remember, but I found my email trail with the BMW Master Tech that helped me solve it back then. I hope this helps:

> The top connector block just contains the 2 most cables from the cdc, they are not onnected to anything else at present and they are both conected together in pin5, what you have to do now is connect those two pin5 cables into the main most network which is the connector displayed on the leftof your picture with 6 cables going in and out,> To do this I would move the top convoulted cable on the main most connector from pin2 to pin 3, I would then remove the top pin 5 cable from the detatched top connector (from the cdc), and plug it into the vacated slot 2 on the main most connector, then remove the lower pin5 from the cdc top connector and connect it into the lower pin 3 of the main most connector (the other side of the convoluted tube.Then program the car and if its connected ok it will program fne.

Please let me know if your having ny problems ,if you have the wires the wrong way round its just a case of swapping them around.

My reply back then:

having read your email, I didn't want it to get the better of me so I tried what you suggested, and it worked! Everything sailed through as per the final screenshots. What is the BO and CAS?

How did you know that I had to leave pin 1 where it was in the lower block and move the existing pin 2, the conveluted tubed one? The EBA guide said to move all of them.

His Reply:

all we are trying to do is include the CDC into the most loop. On each most subsciber there is an input and an output all you need to do is join the output of one device (probably the ulf on your car) to the input of your cdc and the output of the cdc to the input of your ulf.
The BO is a sub control unit or your CCC unit, it is the user interface. You have CCC-A = applications CCC-BO user interface ,CCC-ANT tuner and CCC-GW which is gateway. The gateway translates the data from the K-CAN network and sends the commands to the MOST bus subscriber for instance if you press the arrow key on your steering wheel the message is sent from the SZL unit down the K-CAN, the CCC-GW reads it and sends it through the MOST bus, the CDC reads the message and changes track.
The EBA instructions dont always show you the easiest way of doing things also sometimes the illustrations show vehicles with different specfications which can be confusing!

My reply:

Thanks, so essentially we are trying to do is daisy chain it. Looking at the MOST blocks though I still don't understand why it wouldn't work when:

pin 1 was moved to 2 and 2 to 3 with pin 5 placed in pin 1's slot. - Didn't work.
pin 1 and 2 not moved, pin 3 was pulled from pin 5 out of the top block. - Didn't work

It worked when I left pin 1 in place, moved 2 to 3 and 5 went in to two, you must have to insert it in between the data flow of 1 and 3. So if I was to add something else in to it I'd move 3 along one slot and insert the new device in to 3?

I presume that pin 1 must be the input in to the block which can't ever be moved, 2 to 4 must piggy back off it and with a full block 5 would be the output? Presumably on the outbound part of the block (other end) it must be the same. I still don't have it quite right in my head I think.
Appreciate 2
dar2008302.50
      05-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #13
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is that long ago I can't quite remember, but I found my email trail with the BMW Master Tech that helped me solve it back then. I hope this helps:

> The top connector block just contains the 2 most cables from the cdc, they are not onnected to anything else at present and they are both conected together in pin5, what you have to do now is connect those two pin5 cables into the main most network which is the connector displayed on the leftof your picture with 6 cables going in and out,> To do this I would move the top convoulted cable on the main most connector from pin2 to pin 3, I would then remove the top pin 5 cable from the detatched top connector (from the cdc), and plug it into the vacated slot 2 on the main most connector, then remove the lower pin5 from the cdc top connector and connect it into the lower pin 3 of the main most connector (the other side of the convoluted tube.Then program the car and if its connected ok it will program fne.

Please let me know if your having ny problems ,if you have the wires the wrong way round its just a case of swapping them around.

My reply back then:

having read your email, I didn't want it to get the better of me so I tried what you suggested, and it worked! Everything sailed through as per the final screenshots. What is the BO and CAS?

How did you know that I had to leave pin 1 where it was in the lower block and move the existing pin 2, the conveluted tubed one? The EBA guide said to move all of them.

His Reply:

all we are trying to do is include the CDC into the most loop. On each most subsciber there is an input and an output all you need to do is join the output of one device (probably the ulf on your car) to the input of your cdc and the output of the cdc to the input of your ulf.
The BO is a sub control unit or your CCC unit, it is the user interface. You have CCC-A = applications CCC-BO user interface ,CCC-ANT tuner and CCC-GW which is gateway. The gateway translates the data from the K-CAN network and sends the commands to the MOST bus subscriber for instance if you press the arrow key on your steering wheel the message is sent from the SZL unit down the K-CAN, the CCC-GW reads it and sends it through the MOST bus, the CDC reads the message and changes track.
The EBA instructions dont always show you the easiest way of doing things also sometimes the illustrations show vehicles with different specfications which can be confusing!

My reply:

Thanks, so essentially we are trying to do is daisy chain it. Looking at the MOST blocks though I still don't understand why it wouldn't work when:

pin 1 was moved to 2 and 2 to 3 with pin 5 placed in pin 1's slot. - Didn't work.
pin 1 and 2 not moved, pin 3 was pulled from pin 5 out of the top block. - Didn't work

It worked when I left pin 1 in place, moved 2 to 3 and 5 went in to two, you must have to insert it in between the data flow of 1 and 3. So if I was to add something else in to it I'd move 3 along one slot and insert the new device in to 3?

I presume that pin 1 must be the input in to the block which can't ever be moved, 2 to 4 must piggy back off it and with a full block 5 would be the output? Presumably on the outbound part of the block (other end) it must be the same. I still don't have it quite right in my head I think.
Thank you very much for digging out contents that is almost 10 years old!

I will have a thorough in depth read through and hopefully this will help me out.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
erhanuzun28
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d SE Saloon 2010

CD cganger place is empty but fibre optic cable and poer/gorund cable

Hi all,

I have BMW 325D 2010 model e90 saloon with base sound system. No factory fitted amp/cd changer etc.

I decided to upgrade the sound, bough AUDISON 8.9 BIT which has optical fibre sound input. I found fibre optical cables(2 pieces) come from BMW professional radio head unit. I bought and installed after Market Android iDrive, as instructed i moved fibre optic cables from head unit to iDrive.

My question is can I use that fibre optic cables from car trunk to connect sound to AUDISON AP8.9

Could you please advice?
thanks in advance
Appreciate 0