E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Swirl Flap removal ???

07-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
08-320d
Rep
Drives: 320d e90

Swirl Flap removal ???

There's so much on the internet about swirl flap removal for the n47 I'm now very confused as to what to do.

My understanding is that the N47 isn't as prone to swirl flap failure compared to the older engines however the issue with these is the brass rod snapping.

From what I've read there are very mixed opinions on performance post removal, low down specifically. To me it seems that those with the 3.0l don't notice any power loss but those with the 2.0l do.

Am I right in saying that on the early N47s once you remove the flaps there's no going back and you'll have to buy a new manifold of you want them back ?

Anyone able to give an estimate of the cost of a new intake manifold from BMW main dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Banginpadr
Boss
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport Coupè 2008

Garage List
here is what you can do. just open your intake and check it yourself. if you have more than 130k on it, i bet that is already broken. just go to amazon and buy yourself the kit for the removal is only like 20 euros. you dont really want to buy an intake manifold specially from BMW they will make you pay at least 500 euros for that junk and after some time it will just break again.

i noticed my car, was weak, no responsive and when i finally went on the hunt for the problem my problem was that the swirl flap weren't working. the stick that open them was broken and didn't open them at all, in fact only 2 holes out of 8 were open. now that i did that removal my car went back to be alive

Last edited by Banginpadr; 08-01-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

Buy a 2nd hand Intake manifold.
Clean and mod it, and fit it.

Seen them go from £40 to £150
      07-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Banginpadr
Boss
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0K3R5 View Post
Buy a 2nd hand Intake manifold.
Clean and mod it, and fit it.

Seen them go from £40 to £150
dont misguide him, is not worth it. why would you spend money to buy an 2nd hand item that already have problems from the start? the stick holding and opening the flaps is made of copper and eventually it will just break
Attached Images

Last edited by Banginpadr; 08-01-2020 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

He's not suggesting keeping the flaps; he's suggesting buying a second manifold so the OP can continue to use their car while they get the 'new' one clean and remove the flaps.

Anyhow, I'm in the minority here who think that flaps should stay in. And EGR, and DPF, too. They're all in there to do specific jobs, which they do well. Just because you may not notice a difference, doesn't mean that there isn't a difference. For example, the swirl flaps contribute to clean running at low rpm; remove them, and you'll find that the DPF regens more often. Correspondingly you'll also find that fuel consumption increases a bit and low end driveability worsens - the latter mainly being noticeable on manual cars. But I do agree that it's super frustrating not to be able to rebuild what you already have.

There are cheaper 3rd party manifolds available, but I have no idea whether to trust them or not...
Appreciate 2
J0K3R5405.50
      07-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
08-320d
Rep

I would prefer to keep them in tbh but I don't think the risk is worth it.

I'm guessing a remap will fix if not improve any low end power that's lost no ?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #7
08-320d
Rep

Found this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303295012249
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:08 AM   #8
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah it probably would.

Yes, I've seen those on eBay too. I asked them how the swirl flaps were 'reinforced' (or whatever the listing said), and their reply was 'they're metal'.......cool, so were the original BMW ones with higher failure rates!

You can get vaico or Metzger branded ones on autodoc probably, for similar money... Again, I've never seen any review for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:45 AM   #9
Banginpadr
Boss
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
He's not suggesting keeping the flaps; he's suggesting buying a second manifold so the OP can continue to use their car while they get the 'new' one clean and remove the flaps.

Anyhow, I'm in the minority here who think that flaps should stay in. And EGR, and DPF, too. They're all in there to do specific jobs, which they do well. Just because you may not notice a difference, doesn't mean that there isn't a difference. For example, the swirl flaps contribute to clean running at low rpm; remove them, and you'll find that the DPF regens more often. Correspondingly you'll also find that fuel consumption increases a bit and low end driveability worsens - the latter mainly being noticeable on manual cars. But I do agree that it's super frustrating not to be able to rebuild what you already have.

There are cheaper 3rd party manifolds available, but I have no idea whether to trust them or not...

bro, you really know nothing about these cars and how they work. " he's suggesting buying a second manifold so the OP can continue to use their car while they get the 'new' one clean and remove the flaps" and this here is the evidence. all you have to do is uninstall the intake clean it, install again, and you good to go. a 20 minute job top and that time is only to clean it well.

"remove them, and you'll find that the DPF regens more often. Correspondingly you'll also find that fuel consumption increases a bit and low end driveability worsens" how you even pass judgement on something you dont know? had you done this to your car to know this? because i did and this is not true. if anything is the opposite. if people delete the dpf, egr, swirls in these cars it must be a reason for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

So BMW put these systems on their engines to...make them worse??

If you can clean the baked on carbon shit out of your manifold in 20mins, you need to share your secret! Plenty of people send their manifolds off to be ultrasonically cleaned, which normally involves an overnight soak in degreaser before ultrasonically cleaning. Never mind walnut blasting the cyl head ports (yes simpler ways are possible, but they are also very time consuming)...

If anything you are showing your ignorance. Whichever way, I don't care for getting into arguments with strangers using a device which has the ability to access pretty much the entirety of all human knowledge. You do you, I'll do me, and the OP can decide for himself.

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 08-01-2020 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
J0K3R5405.50
      08-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #11
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

plenty of cleaners out there..even mr muscle works,,as said..take manifold off and egr etc,,clean as best you can,,can even replace the flaps and i would deffo replace the gaskets,,have a look at XR8 on e bay quality gaskets and blanks,,,not cheap rubber etc
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:11 AM   #12
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Where can you get replacement flaps?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #13
Banginpadr
Boss
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So BMW put these systems on their engines to...make them worse??

If you can clean the baked on carbon shit out of your manifold in 20mins, you need to share your secret! Plenty of people send their manifolds off to be ultrasonically cleaned, which normally involves an overnight soak in degreaser before ultrasonically cleaning. Never mind walnut blasting the cyl head ports (yes simpler ways are possible, but they are also very time consuming)...

If anything you are showing your ignorance. Whichever way, I don't care for getting into arguments with strangers using a device which has the ability to access pretty much the entirety of all human knowledge. You do you, I'll do me, and the OP can decide for himself.

why are you responding to my questions with dumb stupid questions? sure bmw put them there for a reason. but that doesn't mean that in the end is for our interest. just as Apple be rolling out Updates for our phones but everyone knows that at every update your phone just keep getting worst not better. so stop being this fcking stupid. you just don't know what you are talking about and are here giving advice on stuff you had never done your self or to your car. this is why i asked you if you had done this before, because i already knew the answer. if you didn't care as you are saying you wouldn't be here still trying to show others you know what you are talking about when in reality you don't and are just looking stupid
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
Banginpadr
Boss
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
plenty of cleaners out there..even mr muscle works,,as said..take manifold off and egr etc,,clean as best you can,,can even replace the flaps and i would deffo replace the gaskets,,have a look at XR8 on e bay quality gaskets and blanks,,,not cheap rubber etc
see, he is just too stupid to know this or understand what we are talking about. funny, because he is saying i have a device that can give me any info i want, yet he doesn't know how to use it himself otherwise he wouldn't be here embarrassing himself. his analogy is that if bmw have that there it should be there, period.

just as you just gave him more info on what i had been saying here and he still asking you where to get the flaps replecements

Last edited by Banginpadr; 08-01-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
Banginpadr
Boss
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-320d View Post
I would prefer to keep them in tbh but I don't think the risk is worth it.

I'm guessing a remap will fix if not improve any low end power that's lost no ?
trust me, you don't want to do that, just do what i told you, you will thank me later. just remove the part to check that is not broken because if it is and one of those flaps get into your engine, you will have bigger problems than worrying to buying a 20 dollars kit on amazon for that removal(and yes, in older engine is worst. since they are made of metal, newer model use plastic).

when i didn't have a person give me the same advice i'm giving to you, i went and wasted 350 dollars to fix the low end power lost, just as you mentioned here(because when these are broken you car will feel weak and not as strong as it used to be) what happened?

well, since the problem was that my intake was broken my car was wasting diesel almost at a M3 rate. i got tired of this and decide to remap it again to stock, which was another 300 dollars to remove the remap. just because i was thinking that it was the remap making my car waste this much diesel.

long story short i burned 650 plus 50 euros for something that was worth 20 minute of my time and a 20 euros kit to fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #16
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banginpadr View Post
dumb stupid
Ignored...

OP, let us know what you do and how it works out for you
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #17
Banginpadr
Boss
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ignored...

OP, let us know what you do and how it works out for you
good for you, this was the first thing you should had done from the start, not just talk about ignorance and then say what you said here.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:20 AM   #18
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Well this is getting feisty
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:35 AM   #19
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

N57

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431465
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #20
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Where can you get replacement flaps?
blanks i meant as a replacement,,well not really a replacement,,just summit to bung holes up
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #21
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
blanks i meant as a replacement,,well not really a replacement,,just summit to bung holes up
Got you. You had my hopes up there that there was somewhere to buy replacement flaps separately!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #22
Daviebrown
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330D

When i bought my car the flaps had already been removed, the best i could do to replace them was to buy some second hand one’s and make sure they were in good condition before i fitted them.
Appreciate 0