E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Install SSD in CIC

04-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #111
Beachparty
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by user0011 View Post
Yes I did, but same problem
Hi!
You seem to have the exact same problem I had.
After changing the partition type to 4d , you have to validate the changes.
If you don’t, you end up with two different partition names that belong to the same drive.
Just do the operation again. Unfortunately you can’t just go back, change the name and not format the partitions.
1 change partition type to 4d
2 Type W (to validate !!!)
3 Format both new partitions. Those will appear as 77.4 and 77.5 now

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #112
Beachparty
Private
Rep

Reinstall SSD[INDENT]42. Reinstall the SSD back into the CIC. Before placing all trim back in place, check to make sure the Nav works - This verifies that the hbnavi partition is functioning. Then check the Media Info to see the available size. If you have more than 12GB free space, it shows as 100% free

I’m now wondering if that would possible to fix the available space info to match the actual size of the partition...?
Also for those in the process of doing the mod, you can download the latest CDDB Gracenote database (search the forum, its there) and update while the partition is mounted.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #113
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

It could only be fixed via a firmware update from BMW.

The OS code is in flash memory and not on the hard drive.

You would also need their source code and digital keys.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #114
Beachparty
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
It could only be fixed via a firmware update from BMW.

The OS code is in flash memory and not on the hard drive.

You would also need their source code and digital keys.
In other words…. forget it !!
Thanks OPjose
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #115
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Can anybody tell me if this would work on the f30 3 series? I read through the entire thread but may have missed it. I could really use more storage for digital music, not to mention a back up image in case the stock drive ever fails. I have the nbt system with nav, if it helps.
Thanks!
      05-31-2020, 01:13 AM   #116
Z06Luke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35D

Awesome write-up! I completed the process start-to-finish today.

The one part that I couldn't get working was connecting to a network share using "fs-cifs". Instead I backed up the hbmedia & hbdebug folders to the virtual hard drive of the QNX VM.

I also couldn't get removable storage working, as it doesn't appear that the QNX OS is compatible with an NTFS file system. If there were a workaround here, it would be helpful to transfer music files to the SSD rather than wait the multiple hours that it will take to import via the USB port in the vehicle.

For those of you who have gotten network storage attached to the QNX VM, what file system was it running? Is anyone else aware of any other ways to transfer data from a Windows file system (either directly or indirectly) via QNX?

EDIT: It's a bit hacky, but I realized that if I created an ISO with all of my music in it that I could then pass that ISO into the QNX VM as a virtual CD & transfer my data in that fashion. This is much better than waiting for 20+ GB to trickle through the USB port in the glove box.

Last edited by Z06Luke; 05-31-2020 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #117
DennisT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i

Many thanks to Jaeger for all of the hard work working through the process and sharing with us. I have been getting ready to install an SSD in my e89 using this guide and ran into a couple of major problems that I thought I would share my solutions. I am running VMplayer 15.5 and Neutrino641Target. I tried 3 different OS(Win10, Ubuntu and Mint) all on a couple of Dell laptops. These issues may be unique to my setup but I thought I would pass it on as it cost me many hours. BTW vmplayer only works on newer pc’s the support virtualization and that must be enabled in BIOS.

1. Mouse pointer disappears within vm target. Once I click in the box the pointer disappears making it nearly impossible to do anything. The solution is to change the mouse from “software” to “hardware” in the Display config. Unfortunately, you need to make the change with no mouse. My solution was to click in box, cursor disappears, right click to get a menu, TAB and arrow keys are used to navigate to “Display” then ENTER. Navigate to the mouse selector and change “software” to “hardware”, Accept and quickly confirm in a new popup it reverts in a few seconds. I found this solution from a vm workstation forum from some years but did not bookmark.

2. Cannot get Boot Menu as hard drive boot occurs too quickly. This is a problem then booting to ubcd iso in order to extend the partitions. The solution is to add a delay in the startup so you can click in black box and hit ESC in order to bring up Boot menu. To add the delayput the following line to Neutrino641Target.vmx.
bios.bootDelay = "xxxx" where xxxx is delay in milliseconds, I used 10000, the max
You must power down Neutrino before editing as the file is writen as Neutrino exits.
I found this at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1004129

My parts arrive this week so I will attempt the process.

Last edited by DennisT; 06-08-2020 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #118
DennisT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30i

I received my adapter and msata drive.
The adapter I got is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
All went smooth except the adapter fit in the CIC. The rotating drives I have including the original Toshiba and another I had out of and old laptop have little ears that help alignment of the connector as it is inserted. The Ableconn adapter does not have that. Out of ten insertion attempts maybe one goes in correctly. I know it is a mechanical issue because I cloned the SSD drive to a rotating drive and it works fine. I might remove some of the flange on the outside so I can see to align the inside connector but for now I am looking for a different adapter.

For the person who asked about using an external drive in Neutrino ntfs is only supported as a read only file system. FAT32 is supported as a USB file system. Add it as a hard drive and it auto mounts as something like /fs/hd1-dos/. Use df to see for your case. I used a fat32 thumb drive so I would have a copy of all the files in the partitions out of the virtual drive.

Last edited by DennisT; 06-17-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:44 PM   #119
apirumann
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 99 E46 323i

I cannot find the QNX anywhere to download. Could someone send me a link to the .vmx directly? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #120
apirumann
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirumann View Post
I cannot find the QNX anywhere to download. Could someone send me a link to the .vmx directly? Thanks.
Nvm. I figured it out. The link is hidden somewhere in the website. I found it by chance and it is not the 6.5 version but it works. I am attempting to share it below...

https://bit.ly/2BtPtdo
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #121
Guesswhosback
Challenge Accepted
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i '07

That's one crazy DIY, good job on that mate! some serious stuff right here!!
Saw any differences in term of speed/loading etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #122
apirumann
Banned
Rep

Jaeger Your inbox is full so my PM did not go through. I got it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #123
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Jaeger fantastic guide buddy.

I did it using a virtual hard drive like mentioned in p0lar post on page 2.

you're legends.

It wasn't too bad, but I am a daily linux user.
the hardest part was being quick enough to hit f2 and change the vm's boot order. I cursed sooooo many times at VMware for not letting you slow the boot.

or if there was I'm not sure how to do it. I'm a virtualbox user and that's an easy thing to change in the machine settings.

I could not easily locate a 6.5 QNX image, but this PDF has a link to a 6.4 and it worked fine.
http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~real...Student_PC.pdf
https://users.encs.concordia.ca/~rea...20_qnxv641.zip
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu141.00
      08-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #124
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

well I was copying more mp3s to the drive today and i'm pretty sure it errored out and boned it's whole file system.

It certainly seems like the way to do this is to copy things from the PC directly into the partition.

Now that I've boned mine up I can't see how it's arranged.
can someone tell me the file structure in that partition?
I'm feeling lazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #125
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
well I was copying more mp3s to the drive today and i'm pretty sure it errored out and boned it's whole file system.

It certainly seems like the way to do this is to copy things from the PC directly into the partition.

Now that I've boned mine up I can't see how it's arranged.
can someone tell me the file structure in that partition?
I'm feeling lazy.
Not sure if the same happened to me but after copying only about 10 songs, the message "Data Transfer Unsuccessful" appeared and fails immediately every time after that when I try.
The 10 songs it did initially transfer still do work though which makes me think the partition is possibly still OK and the maps still work.

Any ideas?

I basically followed the OP to the letter and everything (seemed to have) worked.

Last edited by GtiGyver; 08-17-2020 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #126
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

mine definitely would crash after transferring about 4Gb of data.

didn't matter how many folders it was.
I haven't pulled it to see what happened as the rest of it has kept on working and i've been lazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #127
opjose
Major
Rep

The most likely cause of this is a corrupt data partition.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #128
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
mine definitely would crash after transferring about 4Gb of data.

didn't matter how many folders it was.
I haven't pulled it to see what happened as the rest of it has kept on working and i've been lazy.
Ok, so I tried a different USB key with 1/4 of the files from the first and it worked perfectly.

My guess is, like others pointed out, large keys with too many files may be problematic.

I also noticed that because of the way the files are organized, it was MUCH better to dedicate keys to different categories of music; otherwise when I would select RANDOM, it would play basically any file from a given key regardless of the folder structure of said key.

Since I have a mix of Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative... using dedicated keys during the upload makes organizing that mess MUCH easier and lowers the chance of failure.

At least I hope so...

For the RANDOM part, am I wrong? or does iDrive really just mix all songs from a given key regardless of (folder/playlist) structure in the key?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:23 AM   #129
opjose
Major
Rep

After upgrading my drive I immediately uploaded 18gb of files on one go.

All files were in \artist\album\music structure.

I did not have any trouble with the transfer other than how long it took.

Selecting Random does seem limited to one USB drive transfer.

I've gone back to using a USB 128gb flash drive in the center console instead of uploading music to the SSD.

The upgrade was still worth it though.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #130
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Just did the SSD upgrade. A few things I wanted to share with folks especially if you are doing this in windows:

1. The HDD cover and HDD screws are T8 Torx, not T9 like the guide says.
2. The HDD screws are held in with locktite, so make sure you have something with enough leverage to crack them free.
3. It is entirely possible to do this from windows, and for free, (kind of).
-You can make a Hyper-V VM and use it to boot clonezilla (boot the ISO). Clonezilla is a good choice because its free- and you know you will be able to restore the data 20 years later if you need to.
--Use a NTFS VHD with everyone full control permissions. After you create the VHD, mount it to your host OS, and create the file system and set the permissions. Then unmount the VHD.
--Attach the HDD directly to the VM. The disk needs to be marked as offline in disk management in windows first.
--Create an image of the HDD (disk image, not partition) and save it to the VHD.
--Power off the VM, and mount the VHD again, copy the image somewhere for safekeeping. Unmount the VHD
--Attach the new SSD directly to the VM (make sure its offline in disk management in windows first)
--Boot clonezilla, and restore the image to the SSD from the VHD.

All finished. Totally free- as you can use clonezilla inside hyper-v in windows. No need to have an actual linux machine or dual boot something.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #131
opjose
Major
Rep

Wouldn't it be easier to boot clonezilla off a usb drive directly and not bother with a VM?

Clonezilla comes as a bootable Linux ISO that can be written and booted from a USB drive.

You could even store the drive image to your windows NTFS partition temporarily and use that as a source to write the image back out.

I remember trying this and it worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #132
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to boot clonezilla off a usb drive directly and not bother with a VM?

Clonezilla comes as a bootable Linux ISO that can be written and booted from a USB drive.

You could even store the drive image to your windows NTFS partition temporarily and use that as a source to write the image back out.

I remember trying this and it worked.
The benefit about the VM is you can boot the the VM from the ISO. No need to leave your host OS. No need to physically boot your machine into clonezilla.
Appreciate 0