E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2009 328i Multiple Fault Codes

08-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
velaslm
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 328i Coupe

Hey guys, I'm a new member to this community that just recently purchased a 2009 E92 3 Series 328i off my brothers dad (same mom different dads not hard to understand). Since I purchased the car the "Service Engine Soon" light had been on. I got the car checked out and multiple fault codes came back which I'll include a picture of. The person that checked the car told me to purchase a genuine replacement gas cap from the dealer and I've been wondering if that's truly necessary or if an OEM gas cap from anywhere else like amazon would be fine aw well. Other than that I've tried researching the other fault codes to see if they're doable myself but I'm honestly new to all of these but I'm eager to learn and fix my problems on my own. If anyone has had these fault codes and could possibly give some tips or pointers that'd be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

08-13-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Isn't your brother's dad, your dad?

Anyway, the codes that behind with "2" are BMW codes. Two of the codes, 2A1S and P0442, are for a fuel tank evaporation system leak. All OBDII compliant cars use an air pump to test if the fuel tank seals correctly. A faulty sealing gas cap can cause the tank to leak during this test. The leak could be from another source in the fuel tank, but starting with replacement of the gas cap is a reasonable approach to fix the problem.

The IBS code could be your version of the E90 doesn't have an intelligent battery sensor. Just look at the battery negative cable in the trunk where the battery is. If the negative cable is just a black wire with no electronics box on it, then the car did not come with an IBS.

The 2F9E just means the engine oil level is low. It could also mean the oil level sensor is faulty, but you should check the oil level to verify.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Isn't your brother's dad, your dad?

Anyway, the codes that behind with "2" are BMW codes. Two of the codes, 2A1S and P0442, are for a fuel tank evaporation system leak. All OBDII compliant cars use an air pump to test if the fuel tank seals correctly. A faulty sealing gas cap can cause the tank to leak during this test. The leak could be from another source in the fuel tank, but starting with replacement of the gas cap is a reasonable approach to fix the problem.

The IBS code could be your version of the E90 doesn't have an intelligent battery sensor. Just look at the battery negative cable in the trunk where the battery is. If the negative cable is just a black wire with no electronics box on it, then the car did not come with an IBS.

The 2F9E just means the engine oil level is low. It could also mean the oil level sensor is faulty, but you should check the oil level to verify.
Spot on. The car should have an IBS cable, I have had to replace this on two e90s. Easy swap, just get a used or new one, pull out the battery, remove some insulation, remove the IBS cable, pop on the new one and slip the battery back in. Don't pay someone to do this if you can replace a battery on your own.