E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > SZL coding & Calibration

11-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
Skydancerak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (E70) 2008

Smile Need help with SZL as well

Hello everyone,
noticed that this thread is still living till 2019, so I thought about asking you for help.

simply I replaced the SZL on my car, with a brand new one, it's just that previously, I've done a retrofitting for the iDrive system, by bimmertech, so now the workshop where I go to (they use the official BMW software I guess) said that they cant code the car now, because it's asking for the old part.

and said that we have to do the coding "offline" , I didn't even know what it meant, anyway, now I have the K+DCAN cable, USB, have NCS expert ad INPA, and tool32... I believe i'm all set, I just need the courage ad your support to code this SZL because i'm really tired of the heavy steering wheel :-/

and one more thing, 2 years ago, I chaged the tail lights as well to the newer shape, so I have an error message for them as well, they also need coding.

can you guys guide me on how to code them both? i'll be really thankful...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #24
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Member enda320 on another forum wrote up a guide on changeing the VIN in a used SZL
Here’s what he wrote
1) Firstly make sure all your INPA stuff works
2) Fire up NCS expert, load a profile (anything with "expert" in the title will do, there are lots of different names/versions)
3)press F1 (FG/ZCS/FA) (aka read FG("Car") ZCS / FA (central coding key or vehicle order)
4)press F3 (ZCS/FA f/ECU) - (read ZCS central coding key or Vehicle option order from an ECU)
5)pick your chassis type (E65)
6) choose CAS as the module to read the ZCS/FA from. You can also pick LMA to read it from, if in doubt, pick what is more likely to be original to you car.
7)The should populate NCS with your VIN number and options codes. Double check this is your VIN, and make a note of the last letter at the end. This extra letter is a checksum which will show if the VIN is valid, or just a collection of jumbled letters.

Next stage-
8)Close NCS now that you know the VIN and checksum, as you'll be needing that now.
9)Open Tool32
10)file>load SGBD /Group file and you'll need to pic the group file that matches your SZL. I believe it might be SZL_60 but there are also SZL and SZL_01
11)In the Select job window, scroll down to c_fg_lesen (VIN read) and press 1*> (run once) from the header toolbar
12)This should pop up a window which will have the 7 digit VIN number from the SZL, which won't be your VIN number
13)Time to change the VIN. Select the job c_fg_schreiben (VIN Write) and you'll see an argument window now highlights in yellow saying what the argument should be (argument is a computer term, not really related to a human argument!)
14)A window in the background will give details, and in this case say-
argument : FG_NR
type : string
comment : Fahrgestellnummer (18-stellig)

Which means the "argument" of FG_NR (VIN NUMBER) is a string of data, and it is the VIN number (18 letters long)
You'll notice a VIN number is 17 letters, so the extra letter is the checksum you noted down earlier.

15)Type the full VIN with the checksum digit at the end into the bar under the word "argument" and press 1*> (run once)

This should then write your new VIN to the SZL, and if you go back to the c_fg_lesen job, it should report your 7 digit short VIN.

The final stage will be to clear any errors and recalibrate the steering angle sensor with INPA, DIS, ISTA/D etc and hopefully it'll all work out fine.
      04-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #25
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

This is extremely helpful in 2021! I'm about to do this with my 2008 335i. I ordered a SZL from ebay because my SAS does not work (the disc is clean but when you turn the steering wheel it does not register any values when turning)..

Thanks Aus335iguy!
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Member enda320 on another forum wrote up a guide on changeing the VIN in a used SZL
Here’s what he wrote
2) Fire up NCS expert, load a profile (anything with "expert" in the title will do, there are lots of different names/versions)
3)press F1 (FG/ZCS/FA) (aka read FG("Car") ZCS / FA (central coding key or vehicle order)
4)press F3 (ZCS/FA f/ECU) - (read ZCS central coding key or Vehicle option order from an ECU)
6) choose CAS as the module to read the ZCS/FA from. You can also pick LMA to read it from, if in doubt, pick what is more likely to be original to you car.
7)The should populate NCS with your VIN number and options codes. Double check this is your VIN, and make a note of the last letter at the end. This extra letter is a checksum which will show if the VIN is valid, or just a collection of jumbled letters.

Next stage-
8)Close NCS now that you know the VIN and checksum, as you'll be needing that now.
9)Open Tool32
10)file>load SGBD /Group file and you'll need to pic the group file that matches your SZL. I believe it might be SZL_60 but there are also SZL and SZL_01
11)In the Select job window, scroll down to c_fg_lesen (VIN read) and press 1*> (run once) from the header toolbar
12)This should pop up a window which will have the 7 digit VIN number from the SZL, which won't be your VIN number
13)Time to change the VIN. Select the job c_fg_schreiben (VIN Write) and you'll see an argument window now highlights in yellow saying what the argument should be (argument is a computer term, not really related to a human argument!)

Which means the "argument" of FG_NR (VIN NUMBER) is a string of data, and it is the VIN number (18 letters long)
You'll notice a VIN number is 17 letters, so the extra letter is the checksum you noted down earlier.

15)Type the full VIN with the checksum digit at the end into the bar under the word "argument" and press 1*> (run once)

This should then write your new VIN to the SZL, and if you go back to the c_fg_lesen job, it should report your 7 digit short VIN.

The final stage will be to clear any errors and recalibrate the steering angle sensor with INPA, DIS, ISTA/D etc and hopefully it'll all work out fine.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2021, 04:10 AM   #26
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

I was able to code my used, from eBay, SAS/SLZ unit. There is no need to go into NCS expert to get the VIN #. When you recalibrate your SAS with tool32, it will code your VIN#. I coded my unit and I couldn't get the DSC malfunction fault to go away so I thought I did it incorrectly and called it a night. I spent a few hours doing research and the next day, for kicks, I drove it and after I backed out of my driveway the DSC fault went away. The reason I decided to drive it is that I verified the VIN was written correctly using INPA to look at the UID (or is that UIF?). I just didn't have the SLZ clocked correctly. It was off one revolution and when I did turn it lock to lock, I almost broke it because there was a lock on the plastic part and, being plastic, it flexed. Luckily I stopped before something broke as I saw the connectors being twisted out of shape.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #27
xavi718
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006-330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I was able to code my used, from eBay, SAS/SLZ unit. There is no need to go into NCS expert to get the VIN #. When you recalibrate your SAS with tool32, it will code your VIN#. I coded my unit and I couldn't get the DSC malfunction fault to go away so I thought I did it incorrectly and called it a night. I spent a few hours doing research and the next day, for kicks, I drove it and after I backed out of my driveway the DSC fault went away. The reason I decided to drive it is that I verified the VIN was written correctly using INPA to look at the UID (or is that UIF?). I just didn't have the SLZ clocked correctly. It was off one revolution and when I did turn it lock to lock, I almost broke it because there was a lock on the plastic part and, being plastic, it flexed. Luckily I stopped before something broke as I saw the connectors being twisted out of shape.
In a few words It coded by it self when you recalibrate the SZL ?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #28
xavi718
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006-330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Here’s what he wrote

Next stage-
9)Open Tool32

Greetings

Is this the same process for a brand new SZL ? If not can you explain the process to program the new part .

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 05:53 AM   #29
virtual_law
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i auto stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Could you identify exactly which lock on the plastic part you're referring to? Is it the one on the clock spring that sits on top of the steering angle sensor?
Prior to the new unit installation, were your horns, indicators, high beam stocks working? Because mine work fine, just that indicator doesn't self-cancel and all the other errors (DSC, DBC, Flat Tyre Monitoring, etc) persist.

I ask because in INPA, my steering angle readings are way off. The values change when I turn the wheel but at dead center with wheels straight, it shows a wild reading in the negatives which as I understand should be zero after initializing. I have default coded DSC and reinitialized SAS using tools32, but the error pops right back up. I have tried calibration with Ista+ also which also resulted in two possible causes of fault: 1. Incorrectly installed SZL. Follow installation instructions! (Drive pin of coil spring assy), 2 Coding of DSC control unit incorrect.

I am going to order the repair kit: 83192179894, but before I do, maybe I make one last check of the 'revolutions being off' as in your case.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #30
RomunskI
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_law View Post
Could you identify exactly which lock on the plastic part you're referring to? Is it the one on the clock spring that sits on top of the steering angle sensor?
Prior to the new unit installation, were your horns, indicators, high beam stocks working? Because mine work fine, just that indicator doesn't self-cancel and all the other errors (DSC, DBC, Flat Tyre Monitoring, etc) persist.

I ask because in INPA, my steering angle readings are way off. The values change when I turn the wheel but at dead center with wheels straight, it shows a wild reading in the negatives which as I understand should be zero after initializing. I have default coded DSC and reinitialized SAS using tools32, but the error pops right back up. I have tried calibration with Ista+ also which also resulted in two possible causes of fault: 1. Incorrectly installed SZL. Follow installation instructions! (Drive pin of coil spring assy), 2 Coding of DSC control unit incorrect.

I am going to order the repair kit: 83192179894, but before I do, maybe I make one last check of the 'revolutions being off' as in your case.

Hey mate im just wondering if the SAS sensor repair kit worked for you? I have the exact same problem as you. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #31
virtual_law
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i auto stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomunskI View Post
Hey mate im just wondering if the SAS sensor repair kit worked for you? I have the exact same problem as you. Thanks
Sorry for the delay, I was in the process of fixing this issue, and I'm happy to report, its FIXED!

However, it was NOT the repair kit that was the problem. Kit did NOT work. I installed it and tried to recalibrate the SAS using ISTA, but the errors persisted.

The solution was a replacement SZL/switch unit. Got one from ebay with matching part numbers.

Now, in all the dismantling and reinstallation, I learnt a few things which may help anyone else in their diagnosis, so listing them here:

1. When I first opened the SAS, the optical disk looked pristine to me, both in indirect and direct light. I cleaned it anyway and some dirt came off the rag, but none of the crystallized nano-particles thingamajig I saw in other threads were present. So if yours looks clean with no issues, chances are, its fine and the problem lies elsewhere.
2. My stalks worked fine, indicator, wiper, etc except for the self-cancellation of turn signals (which of course is linked to the faulty SAS). This to me meant that it was not a communication/programming issue from my laptop to the SZL.
3. Clock spring. Now my clock spring felt fine, I could gently turn it by hand from stop to stop, but I had nothing to compare it to. The replacement SZL unit looked exactly alike, but as opposed to mine, the little 'white spring tab' on the clock spring would keep the spring from turning. Meaning I could not turn it lock to lock without depressing the white tab and I didn't try cause I didn't wanna risk anything before installing. The 'white spring tab' on my faulty unit was not working. This lead me to the conclusion that it was actually just my clock spring that was bad. I'll attach a pic of that white tab.
4. It is important to match the part numbers directly from SZL unit on the car when ordering a replacement. Also ensure that donor part is from a Left Hand Drive car if yours is LHD. My car is Right hand drive, so I got the donor from a RHD car. There are a number of stickers with part numbers on the SZL, but I shall attach the one that should actually match. In my case, the correct part number was LZ 9123051. Also note that realoem showed something different against my VIN.

Now, the entire SZL includes the stalks, the SAS and the clockspring. So it is a simple remove and replace job. However, it needs programming also, which is a 3 step process. I got the steps from another thread and it worked flawlessly on first try and all the warning lights disappeared.

Good luck! Btw, was doing this on a 2007 335i e93 RHD.
Attached Images

Last edited by virtual_law; 04-18-2022 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
E90325M475.00
      06-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #32
E90325M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_law View Post
Sorry for the delay, I was in the process of fixing this issue, and I'm happy to report, its FIXED!

However, it was NOT the repair kit that was the problem. Kit did NOT work. I installed it and tried to recalibrate the SAS using ISTA, but the errors persisted.

The solution was a replacement SZL/switch unit. Got one from ebay with matching part numbers.

Now, in all the dismantling and reinstallation, I learnt a few things which may help anyone else in their diagnosis, so listing them here:

1. When I first opened the SAS, the optical disk looked pristine to me, both in indirect and direct light. I cleaned it anyway and some dirt came off the rag, but none of the crystallized nano-particles thingamajig I saw in other threads were present. So if yours looks clean with no issues, chances are, its fine and the problem lies elsewhere.
2. My stalks worked fine, indicator, wiper, etc except for the self-cancellation of turn signals (which of course is linked to the faulty SAS). This to me meant that it was not a communication/programming issue from my laptop to the SZL.
3. Clock spring. Now my clock spring felt fine, I could gently turn it by hand from stop to stop, but I had nothing to compare it to. The replacement SZL unit looked exactly alike, but as opposed to mine, the little 'white spring tab' on the clock spring would keep the spring from turning. Meaning I could not turn it lock to lock without depressing the white tab and I didn't try cause I didn't wanna risk anything before installing. The 'white spring tab' on my faulty unit was not working. This lead me to the conclusion that it was actually just my clock spring that was bad. I'll attach a pic of that white tab.
4. It is important to match the part numbers directly from SZL unit on the car when ordering a replacement. Also ensure that donor part is from a Left Hand Drive car if yours is LHD. My car is Right hand drive, so I got the donor from a RHD car. There are a number of stickers with part numbers on the SZL, but I shall attach the one that should actually match. In my case, the correct part number was LZ 9123051. Also note that realoem showed something different against my VIN.

Now, the entire SZL includes the stalks, the SAS and the clockspring. So it is a simple remove and replace job. However, it needs programming also, which is a 3 step process. I got the steps from another thread and it worked flawlessly on first try and all the warning lights disappeared.

Good luck! Btw, was doing this on a 2007 335i e93 RHD.
Thanks for your tips. I have the same problem - turn signal can't cancelled automatically after finishing the turns. all other functions work well.
I am going to buy a new one SZL (steering column switch) and do the programming.

Could you let me know which 3 steps were you using for reprogramming SZL? Thank you.
      07-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #33
bimmaholic540
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90325M View Post

Could you let me know which 3 steps were you using for reprogramming SZL? Thank you.
In case you (or anyone else) are still working on it, it might be the 3 steps in the post linked below, which for me was the only thing I needed out of several long threads, after I installed a used SZL to replace a blown control board in my SAS.

NOTE: If you (like me) are not using Tool32/NCSExpert, make sure you use your 18 digit VIN (17 + checksum) as the argument for the first 2 jobs. If you can't figure out your checksum you can use this.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=7

Last edited by bimmaholic540; 07-23-2022 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: add note
Appreciate 1
E90325M475.00
      07-24-2022, 01:38 AM   #34
E90325M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90325M View Post
Thanks for your tips. I have the same problem - turn signal can't cancelled automatically after finishing the turns. all other functions work well.
I am going to buy a new one SZL (steering column switch) and do the programming.

Update my problem here.
Took the car to the dealership and upgraded latest software and my issue was gone!