E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New member: My 330D

11-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #23
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

MOT tester should fail the car for any sign of tampering with any part of the dpf and ancillaries... Interestingly, BMW's replacement part for the exhaust flexi would be welded to the dpf, which should therefore be an automatic fail. Clearly there is some room for manoeuvre.

Remapping generally won't affect idling emissions, so should be perfectly safe for your MOT, as long as the dpf is in place and functional.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #24
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I think it totally depends on the guy doing the MOT and how he has interpreted the rules. For example the rules say for xenon headlights that they have to self level, however one on mine (before I fixed the adaptive lights) did not. I asked the MOT guy about it and he just said all I'm concerned about is that they line up correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #25
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Saloon 2011

Are you intending to do anything cosmetic to it on the interior? One thing I did recently was replace the ugly standard steering wheel with an M-SPORT one. Should have done it ages ago. Makes a massive difference to the look of the dashboard and also feels good driving. Not sure how much you might be into sound quality etc, but if you are then I can tell you that the E90's have notoriously bad audio setup. If you are planning to keep the car for a while, upgrade the speakers and add an amplifier. It makes a huge difference especially on long commutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #26
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarisbradistan View Post
Are you intending to do anything cosmetic to it on the interior? One thing I did recently was replace the ugly standard steering wheel with an M-SPORT one. Should have done it ages ago. Makes a massive difference to the look of the dashboard and also feels good driving. Not sure how much you might be into sound quality etc, but if you are then I can tell you that the E90's have notoriously bad audio setup. If you are planning to keep the car for a while, upgrade the speakers and add an amplifier. It makes a huge difference especially on long commutes.
Yes I would like to do a few things interior, exterior and engine. Not too much hopefully. How much did the steering wheel cost? Yes, I have noticed the bad sound quality. What speakers and amplifier do you recommend? I am planning to run this into the ground if possible so will definitely be doing some tasteful changes over time.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #27
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Saloon 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger96 View Post
Quote:
Yes I would like to do a few things interior, exterior and engine. Not too much hopefully. How much did the steering wheel cost? Yes, I have noticed the bad sound quality. What speakers and amplifier do you recommend? I am planning to run this into the ground if possible so will definitely be doing some tasteful changes over time.
I managed to get the wheel including the airbag from eBay for £87 including postage. The wheel was in immaculate condition and made a massive change to the look of the dashboard. In terms of my audio setup, I have a Pioneer 80prs as my source. The front speakers are MBquart QM100C which consist of 4" midrange drivers for the doors and tweeters for the sail panels. The underseats are 8" Audison APBMW S8-4 which provide a good strong midbass and I have a 12" Alpine Type-R in a sealed box in the boot. These are all powered by a 5 channel JBL GTR 7535 which runs 4 x 75watts @ 4ohms and the subwoofer channel runs @ 350watts @ 2ohms. I'm debating about swapping out the amp for an Alpine PDX V9 or even the JL HD 900/5, both of which will give me 4x100 watts on the speaker channels and 500 watts on the subwoofer channel. In your car it might be more prudent to get a DSP rather than swapping out the headunit because you have the idrive. I suggest something like the Audison Bit Ten for the DSP and a decent 5 channel amp. There are many options out there for speaker upgrades. It's worth doing it if you are keeping the car for a long time. Check out the audio section on the forums. There are many suggestions and guides, enough there to make an informed choice. Don't hesitate to ask questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #28
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport

Quote:
Awesome! Does “this persons” car smoke much at all? Idling? And when hard on the gas?
It's the only down side. I've seen a puff of dirty smoke from this when the accelerator is planted. very little/if any on idle.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #29
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I managed to get the wheel including the airbag from eBay for £87 including postage. The wheel was in immaculate condition and made a massive change to the look of the dashboard. In terms of my audio setup, I have a Pioneer 80prs as my source. The front speakers are MBquart QM100C which consist of 4" midrange drivers for the doors and tweeters for the sail panels. The underseats are 8" Audison APBMW S8-4 which provide a good strong midbass and I have a 12" Alpine Type-R in a sealed box in the boot. These are all powered by a 5 channel JBL GTR 7535 which runs 4 x 75watts @ 4ohms and the subwoofer channel runs @ 350watts @ 2ohms. I'm debating about swapping out the amp for an Alpine PDX V9 or even the JL HD 900/5, both of which will give me 4x100 watts on the speaker channels and 500 watts on the subwoofer channel. In your car it might be more prudent to get a DSP rather than swapping out the headunit because you have the idrive. I suggest something like the Audison Bit Ten for the DSP and a decent 5 channel amp. There are many options out there for speaker upgrades. It's worth doing it if you are keeping the car for a long time. Check out the audio section on the forums. There are many suggestions and guides, enough there to make an informed choice. Don't hesitate to ask questions.
Thanks for all the useful information, I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #30
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash330D View Post
It's the only down side. I've seen a puff of dirty smoke from this when the accelerator is planted. very little/if any on idle.
That is one of the negatives that is stopping me delete it. But a little puff isn’t bad at all I suppose!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #31
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
That is one of the negatives that is stopping me delete it. But a little puff isn’t bad at all I suppose!
There is another downside, and that is the smell that comes out of a car that's had the DPF removed..... Pheweee they stink.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:52 AM   #32
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
There is another downside, and that is the smell that comes out of a car that's had the DPF removed..... Pheweee they stink.
not to mention the cancer causing chemicals that are in it,,the dpf removes them ...so if you have kids in the car then turn the car off when at lights etc or any stopping,,for even the shortest of times,,it gets into car then only one place its going....lungs
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #33
kash330D
Kash
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport

Quote:
Tbh, its only a big puff if you stamp on the accelerator. hard but gradual acceleration see's more, but not as thick compared to flooring it hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
meh. I never smell much, if anything. usually leave the smoke behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
not to mention the cancer causing chemicals that are in it,,the dpf removes them ...so if you have kids in the car then turn the car off when at lights etc or any stopping,,for even the shortest of times,,it gets into car then only one place its going....lungs
anything and everything these days is a killer
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #34
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash330D View Post
anything and everything these days is a killer
...especially harmful emissions....
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #35
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
exactly..and if you look at other countries ist even worse,,,thats why they wear face masks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #36
loc2000
Loc2000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 LCI 730d

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
what if dpf goes in to regen mode? everything what that filter collected burns off creating cloud of thick black smoke, at any time with no warning.
DPF and its role to save environment is doubtful, most likely profitable business for manufacturers who make em and we all know its very expensive.,
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #37
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by loc2000 View Post
what if dpf goes in to regen mode? everything what that filter collected burns off creating cloud of thick black smoke, at any time with no warning.
DPF and its role to save environment is doubtful, most likely profitable business for manufacturers who make em and we all know its very expensive.,
A dpf will reduce the harmful emissions in built up areas as it will regen when on a duel carriageway or motorway, which are mostly away from towns thus improving air quality in urban areas.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #38
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Dpf regens should happen passively. Even with an active regen, there still shouldn't be any significant smoke or particulate released. The dpf works by trapping soot (carbon dust) and storing it until the exhaust temps rise enough for it to burn off *within the dpf*. So its role in helping the environment isn't doubtful, so long as it's working properly.

Most dpfs are also the catalytic converter, which has known and measurable benefits for the environment, so removing the dpf is doubly bad.

Do you really think a car manufacturer would include expensive (to manufacture) components on a car if it wasn't necessary/beneficial? Of course not; they'd pocket the extra profit instead, if they possibly could! DPF, EGR, swirl flaps etc all do something important on your car, otherwise they simply wouldn't be there. It would be a very short-sighted business plan if they intentionally built unreliability into their cars. But we know that's not the case, because they advise crazy long oil and filter replacement intervals; if they wanted profit from servicing they'd just tell you to bring it in for an oil change every 1000 miles.
Appreciate 1