E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rough Idle when cold with engine light

12-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
ats101
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Competition

Rough Idle when cold with engine light

Hello,

I have a 2009 e92 325i with 79k miles on the clock. I have had this car for over 3 years. It's not been the most reliable car to be honest but it's a solid car and my daily driver.

My current issue is, when I start the car on a cold morning, the idle is erratic with vibrations through my seat and revs are fluctuating. After a few seconds, the engine light comes on. When I put it into drive and pull away, the vibrations are worse but I am able to drive the car and I do so with caution. About 5 mins later of gentle driving, the vibration disappears and soon after, the engine light goes.

This tells me that the issue occurs when the car is running in closed loop and potentially I need to update firmware.

Is this easy to do myself?

I have already downloaded ISTA D and ISTA P however, the program file is so big that I will have to buy an external hare drive.

Has anyone had this problem? I have had a search and found rough idling topics but not like this one with the engine light.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:43 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

NO need to guess what the Fault is. ANY time the SES or MIL is lighted, that means a Fault Code has been saved in the DME (Engine Control Module). The fact that the Fault becomes "inactive" or no longer "Present", and the MIL light goes out, does NOT clear the Fault Code from "Fault Memory." It's still there to be read, until it is cleared by the scan tool.

Just have the Fault Code(s) in the DME Memory read with a simple scan tool and let us know what you find. Get as much of the Fault Details and Freeze Frame Data as you can, in addition to the Fault Code Numbers & Definitions.

George
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:51 AM   #3
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i e93

You can buy a cheap ELM327 from ebay and use a free app like EOBD-facile for simple scanning that will read any stored codes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...=34998&_sop=15

Appreciate 0