E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear upper track control arm replacement

11-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
E92saj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d E92

Rear upper track control arm replacement

Hi

Bit of a noob with all this stuff so go easy. Looking to get the above done as car is tracking quite abit to the left. Had alignment done and misalignment all coming from the rear wheels especially toe. Alignment guy advised to replace the upper track control arms completely and to replace the bolts of lower arms. Had a look online and Meyle (not HD) do a pair of arms for £50 on ebay. Are these any good? Where is best to get bolts from?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92saj View Post
Hi

Bit of a noob with all this stuff so go easy. Looking to get the above done as car is tracking quite abit to the left. Had alignment done and misalignment all coming from the rear wheels especially toe. Alignment guy advised to replace the upper track control arms completely and to replace the bolts of lower arms. Had a look online and Meyle (not HD) do a pair of arms for £50 on ebay. Are these any good? Where is best to get bolts from?

Thanks
I would advise to get your tracking done at somewhere like Chemix which use the hawks eye machine which is about the best you can get, furthermore they shouldn't charge you to check for an alignment if you want to "trial and error" the arms.

Without seeing the arms its hard to say for certain what to change, if the toe is out you'll certainly want to change the toe arm which is located on the right side (passenger side) and left side on the drivers side rear wheel as this adjusts the toe.

You could inspect the arms to see if the bushings are worn but if your not too hands on then maybe buying a set would be a good idea so you know the job gets done.

Meyle HD I've heard is good, but it's also spoken as trash on an American Facebook group I'm with. If possible I'd try to go OEM if possible like lemforder.

Also, the bolts he will likely be talking about are the eccentric bolts for the camber and toe arms, these arms have a long eccentric bolt which seize and for most alignment shops are a common issue. My eccentric bolt seized with the aluminium bushing of the toe arm and it was literally welded together and I had to use an angle grinder to cut the bolt off.

You need to go onto the realoem website and input your VIN number and from there you can get the part numbers for those eccentric bolts and nuts. Mine for example was.

Do you have a print out of your alignment

Here's a video of me checking my arms, the first two arms in the video are the toe arm (upper arm) and camber arm (lower arm) I then move to the other side where trailing arm can be seen (it's ridiculously close to the arm) and I'll eventually move to the top control arm around 50 seconds in. That's all the arms

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 11-10-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0