E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear

02-14-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
bshambam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

Hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear

Hey all,

I've been driving the 2009 - E91 manual for the better part of the past 4 months. All differential fluids, transfer case fluids and gear box fluids have been changed.

Over the past three weeks or so, i've had a really tough time getting into first gear, and from first to 2nd, there is a boog.

No vacuum leaks, fuel trim is ok and no codes via INPA. New OEM clutch, new floating flywheel, new clutch fork & pivot.

The transmission oil used is Motul Gear 300 Synthetic Transmission Fluid.

Any ideas what could be the cause?

IG: Shambam_makes
Twitter: B_Shambam
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #2
Cm452
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI, stock...for now

Dunno what the viscosity is of the Motul Gear Oil you have in there, but the spec is for MTF LT 3 from BMW. Alternatively, there is Redline D4, which is an ATF. Both are low viscosity. You're in Canada, which means you're having similar issues to me, and I am a muppet because I filled my 'box with Redline MTL. Why? The interwebs got real whipped up by the fancy MTL's, but these cars run best with light weight synthetic--especially in the cold. I too stir near-cured concrete when it is very cold out until the car warms up. It's miserable.
The bog is well known--there is a torque limit that goes logical HI if you are fast on the accelerator pedal and depressing it a certain amount. You can have it turned off in MHD, but it makes the car jerkier to drive IMO. YMMV.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
bshambam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

Motul Gear 300. Its a 75w-90.

I referred to the BMW approved oil list
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478346

IG: Shambam_makes
Twitter: B_Shambam