E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help me choose a better setup

03-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Help me choose a better setup

I'll make this as short as possible.

2008 e93 328i-
Bilstein B8
H&R sport springs
M3 Control arms
Cusco front strut bar
White line subframe inserts
Rouge engineering trans mounts
DIY semi sold motor mounts
18" apex ARC8

Basically this car rides like complete shit. A large factor in that is how terrible the roads are here in Dallas. I wish that wasn't the case because this car handles amazingly on the twisty roads. I took a girl out the other night and it was embarrassing, I could tell she hated how badly it rode. Also, this is my dd for now and I want something a little less harsh. Here are my ideas, tell me what option you think is best.

Option 1-

Replace H&R springs with Dinan performance springs

Option 2-

KW street comfort

Option 3-

What ever you suspension gurus recommend.
2008 328i e93- 3SIM, StageFP tune, magna flow #12148 muffler + vibrant resonator, BMS filters, Bilstein B8s, H&R sport springs, ECS sway bars, whiteline rear subframe bushings, rouge engineering trans mounts, custco front strut bar, M3 front lower control arms. Cosmis R1 18x8.5 245/40 front 18x9.5 255/35 rear.

Last edited by S65Hunter; 05-13-2022 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
How old are the shocks? Could they be worn out? What about your tires?

You could revert back to an m-sport spec: stock m-sport springs, B4's. Just don't ignore tires as a source of harshness.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #3
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I purchased all the shocks/struts brand new and installed on 2019. Yes the tires make it rougher (Falken azenis rt660) but it still rode terribly when I had all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #4
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

The B8s are the source of your pain.

They are great at speed, but will bust a kidney around town.

Swap 'EM out for B4's or Koni Yellows and you'll love your car again.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I may have to try that out. I'm really tempted to go with the KW street comforts....but I don't particularly want to spend $1800 if I don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #6
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

I just ordered some B4's to replace my B6's xi struts that I'm running in my rwd car. (Drivetrain swap) Mine rides pretty crappy too. I'm not sure if I messed up the rear install or what. I'd buy some kushy coilovers but the price right now is a deal breaker for me. I'll let you know if it gets better.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #7
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

Ride quality is extremely subjective. One mans "firm, but not crashy/harsh" is another mans "crashy / intolerable/ harsh".
That being said, I believe two or three things make the most impact on ride quality, in this order (my opinion):
1. Available suspension travel
2. Dampers that are able to control the spring motion
3. Firmness of the spring, aka "spring rate"
4. Run-flat tires (makes even a decently soft setup feel crashy/harsh over potholes and bad roads)

**NOTE: this is assuming you don't have any completely cracked/worn out control arm bushings - if any of these are bad, fixing them with a replacement will make a massive difference in terms of ride quality, and should be done for alignment/ tire wear purposes anyways to save you money in the long run.

So if you want to improve the ride quality, you need to change some or all of those things to go in the direction of more comfort. The worse the quality/condition of the roads that you drive on on a daily basis are , the more aggressive you want to be with these fixes.

I think with h and r sports, you may be riding on the bump stops, which means if you drive in a big city, every few seconds you and your passengers will feel a crashy sensation as the springs compress, and cause the shocks to hit the bump stops, aka "bottoming out".

Bottoming out is really bad for ride quality. Its your shock/strut body ramming into the body of the car, with the hard rubber bump stop acting as a buffer. Increasing available suspension travel even one inch will improve this drastically, as that one inch may be the difference between bottoming out and not. Increasing travel will have the most effect on comfort. As long as you aren't hitting the bump stops, the ride will be fairly good.

Next and almost as important, or maybe as important, is dampers. As long as they are not blown, and are still able to control the springs movement you're good. As far as I know bilstein last a while so I doubt they are bad, but who knows. If you bottom out one too many times, the shocks can and will go bad EVENTUALLY. Driving slower on bad roads will make your dampers/shocks last longer.

Finally, spring rate. I feel this makes the least impact and would only address this if the other two things didn't make enough of a difference.

KW street comforts are really good for comfort from what I have heard. If you can afford those, those will allow you to have an adjustable and still nice and low ride height (no or minimal wheel gap), and the adjustability means if the ride is bad because of bottoming out on bad roads, you can simply raise the ride height.

Otherwise, you can do stuff in steps. If your dampers are not blown, try going back to sport package springs for the added ride height. And then go from there. If you can afford street comforts, I think those are the gold standard, but definitely not necessary.
Appreciate 1
sbsk51810.50
      03-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #8
E92only
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaosKid View Post
Ride quality is extremely subjective. One mans "firm, but not crashy/harsh" is another mans "crashy / intolerable/ harsh".
That being said, I believe two or three things make the most impact on ride quality, in this order (my opinion):
1. Available suspension travel
2. Dampers that are able to control the spring motion
3. Firmness of the spring, aka "spring rate"
4. Run-flat tires (makes even a decently soft setup feel crashy/harsh over potholes and bad roads)

**NOTE: this is assuming you don't have any completely cracked/worn out control arm bushings - if any of these are bad, fixing them with a replacement will make a massive difference in terms of ride quality, and should be done for alignment/ tire wear purposes anyways to save you money in the long run.

So if you want to improve the ride quality, you need to change some or all of those things to go in the direction of more comfort. The worse the quality/condition of the roads that you drive on on a daily basis are , the more aggressive you want to be with these fixes.

I think with h and r sports, you may be riding on the bump stops, which means if you drive in a big city, every few seconds you and your passengers will feel a crashy sensation as the springs compress, and cause the shocks to hit the bump stops, aka "bottoming out".

Bottoming out is really bad for ride quality. Its your shock/strut body ramming into the body of the car, with the hard rubber bump stop acting as a buffer. Increasing available suspension travel even one inch will improve this drastically, as that one inch may be the difference between bottoming out and not. Increasing travel will have the most effect on comfort. As long as you aren't hitting the bump stops, the ride will be fairly good.

Next and almost as important, or maybe as important, is dampers. As long as they are not blown, and are still able to control the springs movement you're good. As far as I know bilstein last a while so I doubt they are bad, but who knows. If you bottom out one too many times, the shocks can and will go bad EVENTUALLY. Driving slower on bad roads will make your dampers/shocks last longer.

Finally, spring rate. I feel this makes the least impact and would only address this if the other two things didn't make enough of a difference.

KW street comforts are really good for comfort from what I have heard. If you can afford those, those will allow you to have an adjustable and still nice and low ride height (no or minimal wheel gap), and the adjustability means if the ride is bad because of bottoming out on bad roads, you can simply raise the ride height.

Otherwise, you can do stuff in steps. If your dampers are not blown, try going back to sport package springs for the added ride height. And then go from there. If you can afford street comforts, I think those are the gold standard, but definitely not necessary.
Can someone please recommend which bump stops to get? OEM part #?

2020 Porsche Macan S PASM
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
I just ordered some B4's to replace my B6's xi struts that I'm running in my rwd car. (Drivetrain swap) Mine rides pretty crappy too. I'm not sure if I messed up the rear install or what. I'd buy some kushy coilovers but the price right now is a deal breaker for me. I'll let you know if it gets better.
It will definitely get better.

We installed B6's on a '99 Volvo S90 (E-Class equivalent), and the ride was fine on the highway, but downright annoying around town.

Had B6's on a 2004 Audi S4 as well - horrible around town, fine on the highway.

We recently installed B4's on the wife's 2014 W212 E-Class, and the ride is perfect - a bit firmer than stock, but not harsh at all.

I think you'll be pleased.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 06:40 AM   #10
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
It will definitely get better.

We installed B6's on a '99 Volvo S90 (E-Class equivalent), and the ride was fine on the highway, but downright annoying around town.

Had B6's on a 2004 Audi S4 as well - horrible around town, fine on the highway.

We recently installed B4's on the wife's 2014 W212 E-Class, and the ride is perfect - a bit firmer than stock, but not harsh at all.

I think you'll be pleased.
Honestly my fronts don't seem too bad, but my rear I have a clunking and slamming, which is where things should be good vs the front. In the front I'm running the Xi struts which realistically are too short to run in a rwd front suspension but the drop is good. The rears should be fine as the rear of an awd car is the same as a rwd car. All my control arms are new within 10k miles and the B6's are within that range as well.

I likely hosed up the install but visually everything looks good. I had some confusion about the bilstein shock assembly stackup and install, maybe I duffed it up. I'm also running the sedan spring in my wagon. For $320 I can put all new B4 shocks and struts and sell the Xi B6's and take some time enjoy the kushy ride and decide if I can live with the wheel gap. Our roads are good here in central FL so the B6's or B8's should be fine, but the right B6 kit is $1k. I'll buy coilovers or a different setup before spending that coin.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 09:49 AM   #11
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
So I think I'll pull the trigger and get the Adjustable Koni Yellows. What all do I need to buy with it? I'm going to order new Spring shims for front and rear and strut mounts. What bump stops should I go with? Like I said I'm coming from B8s which have built in bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
So I think I'll pull the trigger and get the Adjustable Koni Yellows. What all do I need to buy with it? I'm going to order new Spring shims for front and rear and strut mounts. What bump stops should I go with? Like I said I'm coming from B8s which have built in bump stops.
Are you purchasing struts (Front) and shocks (Rear)? Or just shocks?

FCP Euro has:

Rear: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rear-e9xrsmkit

Or: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...kit-e9xrsmkit1

Front: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ce-35120377kt1 (Have to check the link, and purchase everything other than the struts themselves)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 07:05 PM   #13
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Shocks and struts, but it was my understanding that most people run E36 M3 front bump stops and Z4M rear bump stops. From what I've seen, it seems you need the whole bump stop assembly, but the part numbers I was given are for just the bump stop itself
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 09:25 PM   #14
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
Shocks and struts, but it was my understanding that most people run E36 M3 front bump stops and Z4M rear bump stops. From what I've seen, it seems you need the whole bump stop assembly, but the part numbers I was given are for just the bump stop itself
Bump stops are available separately. Both front & rear.

When I did mine (Koni Yellow also), I used the normal E90 bump stops as listed in the links. No complaints at all.

If you click on 'What does this include', you can find the full parts breakdown.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 08:04 AM   #15
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I think its probably too late, but I've found that the key to happiness with the Bilsteins was to ditch the bumpstops that come with the rears and use the stock BMW bumpstops. The rear bumpstops are just way too hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 10:42 AM   #16
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I went ahead and purxhe5the e36 M3 front bump stops and Z4M rears. Almost every thread I've gone through so far pertaining to Koni yellow/HR springs recommended those bump stops over factory e9x bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 11:39 PM   #17
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Having no first hand experience, from my research a decent setup looks something like this

Koni Yellows
Swift Springs
E36 M3 / Z4M bump stops
      04-01-2022, 02:07 AM   #18
E92only
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I'm installing my Bilstein B14 kit on Saturday and didn't even consider bump stops before this thread. I called Bilstein and the representative told me to get E92 rear bump stops, and did not recommend cutting them. FYI for those of you who are on the same boat as me.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #19
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I'm thinking it's a combo between your semi-solid motor mounts/heavy e93/h&r springs. I have b8's with BMW P yellows (same as Dinan) and no complaints from the females. Where in Dallas?? If you're in like East or south D I guess, I grew up in Dallas and I thought some of the best roads minus horrible patches here and there but overall not as horrible. I have Michelin P4s also.

I would say put the iS motor mounts in or back to stock for e93, and get the B12 kit or Koni's with Eibach to soften it a bit. And get new rubbers everywhere

For Koni's get the e36 front/z4 rear bump stops
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #20
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I grew up/ still live right by love field airport. The surrounding areas have pretty decent roads. BMW P/Dinan springs were another thought I had but they are back ordered on most sites. Swift springs would be great but they don't make a set for the e93 (or atleast not that I've seen). For now, I ordered koni yellows, new mounts all around and e36/z4 bump stops. I'll report back with how it rides, may end up trying to get the Dinan springs if I'm not happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #21
E92only
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You can get custom rates from Swift if you go to them direct.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #22
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92only View Post
You can get custom rates from Swift if you go to them direct.
I may look into that then. Thought I would have no clue what spring rates would be best, ill have to do some research.
Appreciate 0