E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2011 N55 Vanos Issues

04-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
FlyingBuckeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335xi

2011 N55 Vanos Issues

Hello,

I have a 2011 N55 with 105k miles on it. The other day while driving in the neighborhood, the car bumped in to limp mode and after pulling in to the driveway, an erratic and rough idle. I pulled the codes in INPA: 2D54, 2D56, and 2D60. Mostly everything I saw went to VANOS solenoids. I replaced both of them today, started the car up and am now getting 2C58 - "Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequential reaction".

The car still runs but just in limp mode. I'm also back to getting the other 3 codes. Is it possible/likely the new solenoids are bad, or is there likely something further going on? I'll also add that when pulling the fan out, the grommet that connects to the charge pipe broke off. I stuck my phone down and snapped a picture of the charge pipe, didn't look like any hole was a result.

I'm really hoping it is something simple. I've owned the car like 3 years/25k miles and have already replaced 2 coolant expansion tanks, water pump/thermostat, pullies, and coil packs/plugs, to name a few. It also has both a coolant (lower radiator) leak and oil leak (valve cover gasket). I know most would consider a lot of it general maintenance but I'm starting to understand why resale value is so awful.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Did you replace with OEM solenoids? I read people having bad luck with anything that isn't OEM when it comes to vanos solenoids.

Yeah BMWs are pretty unreliable but there's nothing that drives like them in the price range lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
FlyingBuckeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceway View Post
Did you replace with OEM solenoids? I read people having bad luck with anything that isn't OEM when it comes to vanos solenoids.

Yeah BMWs are pretty unreliable but there's nothing that drives like them in the price range lol.
No, I used aftermarket solenoids. I’m not saying they can’t be faulty, I would just think at least one of them would work. I think it’s a different or bigger issue.
Appreciate 0