E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Price Check 2011 335is

12-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #23
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
but the 335 is viewed mostly as chick car regardless, even in the usa, I mean even on american movies you do not see the guys driving around in their 335. You could argue the 335 is more capable of 90% of the cars presented on movies, however you would see american V8s , subarus , hondas , nissans way before you see a bmw , and if you get to see a bmw , its probably a M one.

To be honest with you heavier and less tight does not mean crap for the market of the bmw 335. It is not a sports car, its more of a luxury car. 99% of people buying these cars are not going to go anywhere near a track period. They will not even drive the car to 50% of its potential on curves.
People are already scare enough with the maintenance bill on these cars to be risking potential mechanical issues for driving them hard.

This heavier argument is also not really valid , a 303 hp car is plenty capable , and they can even be tune for more power. Convertible or not , this car is fast for the street. The less tight argument is even worst, I have yet to see someone throwing their 335i around outside the track like it was a Miata.

To me BMW brand is more about style, luxury and some sportiness in that order.

I understand these cars are more accessible now and more people are trying to make them sports cars, but again the market is floated with 335i coupes, I have seen them as low as 8000 $ canadian . I have never seen a convertible for that price. To me a convertible is marketed for the guys with deeper pockets that want something up from a regular coupe. Someone that wants to look rich , have a garage queen type of car , and still have some sportiness

I actually would prefer a used convertible over a coupe if I were to use it around town. Chances are the guy who owned it did not race the car , or track the car . You can even argue that the few convertibles for sale are usually in better shape than the coupes. A lot of the coupes I see for sale are usually somewhat modded too , so I kind of know whoever owned it probably beat the crap out it hahah
Well we were talking coupes vs convertibles, not 335i vs other cars/M3, so not sure how you got on about the 335 being a chick car and we never see them in movies. Of course movies are going to choose the sportiest car BMW makes, which would be an "M" if the intent is to have a sporty bmw/luxury brand.

You're entitled to your opinion, not going to argue or try to change your mind. Just telling you how convertibles are looked at in the USA by almost every younger-mid aged person that I have talked to, and why they are generally cheaper here........

You're right on a few things, heavier/less rigidity doesn't mean much to most people buying regular BMW's.

Anyways, lets not derail OP's thread any further by discussing irrelevant opinions
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #24
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Well we were talking coupes vs convertibles, not 335i vs other cars/M3, so not sure how you got on about the 335 being a chick car and we never see them in movies. Of course movies are going to choose the sportiest car BMW makes, which would be an "M" if the intent is to have a sporty bmw/luxury brand.

You're entitled to your opinion, not going to argue or try to change your mind. Just telling you how convertibles are looked at in the USA by almost every younger-mid aged person that I have talked to, and why they are generally cheaper here........

You're right on a few things, heavier/less rigidity doesn't mean much to most people buying regular BMW's.

Anyways, lets not derail OP's thread any further by discussing irrelevant opinions
my man , I did a quick google search in a usa site for cars

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25

I still see convertibles sell for higher price than coupes too. So I m not sure who are all these guys you are talking too and how you say that you speak for the USA somehow ... But again , you walk into a dealer and price a convertible vs a coupe with the same specs and the convertible will always be more expensive. So if the USA people somehow see convertibles as a lesser option , it sounds crazy to think the dealers would sell their convertibles at a higher price?. I mean there is a reason they are price higher than coupes . If the people in the USA somehow think the way you say they think , it just does not make any sense that a dealer would be selling their convertibles at a higher price, noone would be buying them .
The used market is not that much different. Same options , mileage, etc ,etc a convertible is a little more expensive than a coupe. Specially on a luxury brand like BMW.

Its a different story some guys want to think that a little more weight and less rigidity is somehow going to make a huge difference on the street. I really don't see it. The 335 is plenty capable regardless of coupe or convertible for 99.9% of driving. At the end of the day , its a luxury car , not
a sports car. You get some sportiness with it . A track test is a different story , but how many people are actually beating the crap out of a 335 on the track. I make good money and i dont even think I could afford to keep a 335 running on a track lol

But you are right, we just have different opinions. I was just curious to see if the convertibles actually sell for less in the usa used market as you pointed many times as a fact. To me surprise the story is a little different which makes sense.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #25
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Ya brand new, and therefor used, the convertible is more expensive to build. More difficult, more moving parts associated etc. Plus girls buy convertibles and can't negotiate
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #26
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
my man , I did a quick google search in a usa site for cars

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&numRecords=25

I still see convertibles sell for higher price than coupes too. So I m not sure who are all these guys you are talking too and how you say that you speak for the USA somehow ... But again , you walk into a dealer and price a convertible vs a coupe with the same specs and the convertible will always be more expensive. So if the USA people somehow see convertibles as a lesser option , it sounds crazy to think the dealers would sell their convertibles at a higher price?. I mean there is a reason they are price higher than coupes . If the people in the USA somehow think the way you think they think , it just does not make any sense dealer would be selling their convertibles at a higher price, noone would be buying them .
The used market is not that much different. Same options , mileage, etc ,etc a convertible is a little more expensive than a coupe. Specially on a luxury brand like BMW.

Its a different story some guys want to think that a little more weight and less rigidity is somehow going to make a huge difference on the street. I really don't see it. The 335 is plenty capable regardless of coupe or convertible for 99.9% of driving. At the end of the day , its a luxury car , not
a sports car. You get some sportiness with it . A track test is a different story , but how many people are actually beating the crap out of a 335 on the track. I make good money and i dont even think I could afford to keep a 335 running on a track lol

But you are right, we just have different opinions. I was just curious to see if the convertibles actually sell for less in the usa used market as you pointed many times as a fact. To me surprise the story is a little different which makes sense.
I've been talking used prices here, yes I know brand new convertibles are more.

You got me there though, every time I've searched used car prices in the past, I have always seen convertible BMW's for less than the corresponding coupes, but maybe that's because I don't specifically look at convertible prices mainly. Maybe it has to do with every time I saw a killer deal on an M3, it was a convertible lol. And also usually convertibles are optioned out more than a coupe so that likely factors in to the slightly higher pricing.

True, these are originally luxury cars, but 13+ years after the fact more people are getting into these cars(335 specifically) because of the (engine)performance they are capable of, and they handle exceptionally well also.

I live in Cali, probably make way less than you, own a home, and have no problem affording to track my 335i btw.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #27
LarryFish
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330xi

What the hell did I start here hahaha
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #28
LarryFish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
but the 335 is viewed mostly as chick car regardless, even in the usa, I mean even on american movies you do not see the guys driving around in their 335. You could argue the 335 is more capable of 90% of the cars presented on movies, however you would see american V8s , subarus , hondas , nissans way before you see a bmw , and if you get to see a bmw , its probably a M one.

To be honest with you heavier and less tight does not mean crap for the market of the bmw 335. It is not a sports car, its more of a luxury car. 99% of people buying these cars are not going to go anywhere near a track period. They will not even drive the car to 50% of its potential on curves.
People are already scare enough with the maintenance bill on these cars to be risking potential mechanical issues for driving them hard.

This heavier argument is also not really valid , a 303 hp car is plenty capable , and they can even be tune for more power. Convertible or not , this car is fast for the street. The less tight argument is even worst, I have yet to see someone throwing their 335i around outside the track like it was a Miata.

To me BMW brand is more about style, luxury and some sportiness in that order.

I understand these cars are more accessible now and more people are trying to make them sports cars, but again the market is floated with 335i coupes, I have seen them as low as 8000 $ canadian . I have never seen a convertible for that price. To me a convertible is marketed for the guys with deeper pockets that want something up from a regular coupe. Someone that wants to look rich , have a garage queen type of car , and still have some sportiness

I actually would prefer a used convertible over a coupe if I were to use it around town. Chances are the guy who owned it did not race the car , or track the car . You can even argue that the few convertibles for sale are usually in better shape than the coupes. A lot of the coupes I see for sale are usually somewhat modded too , so I kind of know whoever owned it probably beat the crap out it hahah

Just a guy looking for a price check on a car.... and then this hahaha. If anyone cares car sold for $20k sellers asking price. Some moron paid it with a leaking oil pan gasket, couldn't be me. Taking a break from the search for a bit.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #29
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I've been talking used prices here, yes I know brand new convertibles are more.

You got me there though, every time I've searched used car prices in the past, I have always seen convertible BMW's for less than the corresponding coupes, but maybe that's because I don't specifically look at convertible prices mainly. Maybe it has to do with every time I saw a killer deal on an M3, it was a convertible lol. And also usually convertibles are optioned out more than a coupe so that likely factors in to the slightly higher pricing.

True, these are originally luxury cars, but 13+ years after the fact more people are getting into these cars(335 specifically) because of the (engine)performance they are capable of, and they handle exceptionally well also.

I live in Cali, probably make way less than you, own a home, and have no problem affording to track my 335i btw.
with m3 the story may be a little different, that is a sports car so I would agree that a m3 coupe may be price higher than a convertible.

I think there are 2 markets for the 335i or IS, one is the guys looking to mod the crap out of this car, usually the guys trying to get a sick deal thus the low prices on many used 335i models. The other market is the more " mature" market looking for a " garage queen" / "look at me type of car" , something more special without breaking the bank , this market is usually willing to pay a higher price for a used car

nothing wrong with each market. If you can get a really good deal on a 335 , you could put the rest of the money on mods and maintenance and end up with one hell of a performance car . Or if you just want something nice to drive around town , make you " look rich" and still have something to back it up a convertible may be a better option.

I would personally prefer the latter, realistically speaking the only place I would push this car somewhere close to its limits would be the track. But cost of tires, brakes , etc ,etc is just way to much on these cars , to me at least. I ve looked into it for a while and its just not worth it . It would take the enjoyment out of it . I think this is the reason you do not see many high end cars on the track. Average joe would prefer a more friendly maintenance vehicle to trash . Go to any track and you ll see japanese cars, some older e36/e46s , you may also have the rich guys with their porshe , lambo , etc etc ( thats a whole different level type of crew ) Like they said , the car you track is the car you are ok leaving in the dump after one crash

but if you can afford tracking a 335is , by all means

Last edited by rick100; 12-02-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #30
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFish View Post
Welcome to e90post

I swear we're going to see a new member post in a month: "New car iS OIL LEAK!??!??!!!? WHY?????"
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #31
LarryFish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFish View Post
Welcome to e90post

I swear we're going to see a new member post in a month: "New car iS OIL LEAK!??!??!!!? WHY?????"
Oh if that happens I'll cry laughing hahahaha. Hey some idiot didn't do his homework.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if we see the car on here lol
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #32
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
i dont know man , I can put money down that a hard top convertible is perceived more sportier , luxurious and expensive than the counter part. In my area convertibles cost more than coupes last time I check.

heavier and floppier sure, but majority of people do not care about that, the 335 is a luxury car, not a sport car. You want a sport car , get a m3 .

As potential issues? , sure , same can be said for a 335 coupe alone. People buying these cars are usually people that can afford repairs on them.

I ll take a convertible over a coupe in a heartbeat, damn , I ve been looking for a convertible at a reasonable price for a while but they are always more expensive than the coupes. If I want a true sport car , I ll be looking somewhere else. I would think 99% of people buying a 335 are not looking to go on a track and throw it around. All these talk about handling is pure BS , very few people , if any , are pushing these cars nowhere close to its limits.

Im sure there will be a lot of internet racers saying that they do , highly doubt it. Most of these kids wont be able to afford tires and brakes or repairs once every 3 months .
First off, speak for yourself--I've taken my IS to 4-5 track days in the past year that I've owned it and would not have considered a convertible because of the weight and chassis differences discussed. Cost of brakes and tires has not been an issue, especially if you choose tires judiciously you can get some good 200tw rubber that lasts for many days. I'd venture to say that an equal or higher percentage of 335 owners track their cars vs m3 owners. Anecdotally, I've seen twice as many 335's as m3's at laguna seca. Oh, and none have been convertibles.

Secondly, the 335 is not solely a luxury car I'm really unclear where you're getting these misguided assumptions. To each their own--I got my n54 car because it makes more torque at any RPM than the m3 and has a lot more potential than the s65. And with the IS's DCT, I've got the same transmission as the M. For a luxury car, one could buy a $100k (msrp) 7 series at the same age and mileage for a similar price to the $50k 3er.

Potential issues--lets see, they're virtually identical except one has a motorized moving roof and one does not. If that's not a glaringly obvious potential issue to you I'm not sure what to say. Look up the countless threads of e93 owners having issues with the top. In the same breath you've said that owners can't afford tires and owners wouldn't care about extra upkeep expense--pick one.

Anyways, the pricing/used market value definitely differs based on locale. I wouldn't be surprised if convertibles are considered much more of a luxury item and therefore sell for more in Canada vs California. Desirability is a lot more complicated than weight and rigidity; uniqueness and external perception play a large(r?) factor when weighed against technical capabilities.

And OP--if you're turning down every bmw with an oil leak you're in for a very long search. Prices are up in the pandemic and if you want a car, be prepared to both pay top dollar and spend a grand+ on maintenance right off the bat. It is what it is right now, market is crazy.
Appreciate 1