E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Time Slip For Dinan 335i Flash Beta - 12.3 second quarter mile run!

08-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #67
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbezee92 View Post
couldnt someone local call and say: "hey my friend told me that he was up there today in a bmw 335i and got a 12.3x, he talks a lot of bs and was just wondering if there was even a car like that there today around 1ish"

would you sound weird to the guy on the other end of the phone...? probably; but we might find something out from the convo you two have.
try it
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #68
Div4our
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with my right foot down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
An M5board member visited Dinan a couple of months ago and they were working on a white 335i.

I fully believe Dinan will have a 335i flash program for more power. This is their roots! Plus this will not violate warranties as many BMW dealers are also Dinan dealers.

With the M5 / M6, BMW was futzing around with the software to prevent tuning. There was speculation that they implemented a checksum on the engine map so no mods would be necessary.

All speculation except I am pretty confident Dinan is working on the 335i.
I don't think anyone is doubting that Dinan is making a flash or working on the 335i, but the numbers that are posted.
      08-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #69
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbezee92 View Post
couldnt someone local call and say: "hey my friend told me that he was up there today in a bmw 335i and got a 12.3x, he talks a lot of bs and was just wondering if there was even a car like that there today around 1ish"

would you sound weird to the guy on the other end of the phone...? probably; but we might find something out from the convo you two have.
why dont you call them, orlando speedworld dragway, google it, phone numbers on their site
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #70
esbezee92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego 328i Coupe

hmm wouldnt i get some type of long distance charge for calling across the country, seems more logical for someone local to do it but if no one else is up for it and its not long distance then why not.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #71
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Well, if it's legit or not it has people talking about Dinan. I'd say mission accomplished on their end.
Until you start talking Dinan prices.

Which I will do here/now.

The Dinan wheels he used are forged 19x8.5 f and 19 x 9.5 r
they weigh 20 lbs (10-11 pounds lighter than stock). Same weight as the Morr Alloy wheels I'll be getting this week.
Dinan's wheels cost $5000.
Yes, $5000

What's funny is, on Dinan site, they list that with these wheels and 245 front and 265 rear tires you lose 51 pounds total rotational mass.
But what's not correc is they list the stock 335i Coupe wheels at 26 pounds.
Which they are actually 30 pounds front and 31 rear.
But if they think the stocks are only 26 pounds and their wheels are 20 (6 lbs less each for a total of 24 pounds) which tires do they think weigh almost 7 pounds lighter than stock???

Next, the Brembo brakes they have.
As I stated in my first post these brakes also probably reduce rotational mass by a couple pounds each...so as I guessed, this car that ran the 12.3 @ 114 had 55-60 pounds less rotational mass as well.
These Brembo brake package from Dinan cost:
$6590.

So just the brakes and wheels will set you back $11,590...tires are extra!

The exhaust.
Dinan's exhaust is a catback system.
On their site they list it give a gain of only 6 hp and 5 lbs ft of torque.
That's not possible. It HAS got to give more than that.
Just removing the cats will give you more power than that.
Hell, just changing to high flow mufflers will give you close to that.
Every other Catback exhaust from other manufacturers are giving 15-18 hp gains at the crank (10-15 rwhp).
So I'd say Dinan is being a bit conservative on the gains here.
But surely, as stated before, it dropped weight. Probably 25-30 pounds just like other catback systems.
Dinan price: $1899 (not too bad, but others are $1500).

Flash:

I'm going to guess they'll charge between $1000-1499 for the flash.

In summary...WAY to much for the wheels and brakes.
The exhaust and flash, well it's not bad if the flash is in that range.
But I'll take the removable, re-sellable PROcede v2.0
With a comparable exhaust, lightweight wheels and lighter but wider and sticker aftermarket wheels you'd see the exact same 12.3's @ 114 mph times (on 93 Octane)...give or take a bit, driver dependent (skill and weight) of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #72
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

some people (with too much or a lot of money) dont care about the price but rather, feel comfortable for the warranty coverage by dinan
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #73
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
the dinan flash wont be warrantied by BMW lol
No but Dinan warranties their product. My Dinan diff went on my M6 and they replaced it quickly and with no cost to me.
      08-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #74
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

What warranty coverage by Dinan??
How's Dinan going to warranty your engine/drivetrain with an ECU flash when you take your car into a BMW dealership for service and they clearly see the ECU has been flashed.
You can't remove the ECU flash before taking the car in, and even if you could flash it back to stock, the BMW computer will register the ECU flash anyway.
A piggyback, once removed is undetectable to the stock ECU.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #75
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi guys,
Dinan is here located in Northern California. Not sure why they would do beta testing on the other side of the country.
-shiv

For the same reasons companies to testing in different geographies. They offer different temps, humidity, altitude etc....
      08-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #76
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
How's Dinan going to warranty your engine with an ECU flash when you take your car into a BMW dealership for service and they clearly see the ECU has been flashed.

I suppose some dealers could make a stink but not those dealers who are also Dinan dealers and they did the work.

Unless it is a catastrophic failure, they will be able to attribute the blame. Also, I have seen SA's negotiate with both BMW and Dinan to get the work done/
      08-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #77
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
How's Dinan going to warranty your engine/drivetrain with an ECU flash when you take your car into a BMW dealership for service and they clearly see the ECU has been flashed.
You can't remove the ECU flash before taking the car in, and even if you could flash it back to stock, the BMW computer will register the ECU flash anyway.
A piggyback, once removed is undetectable to the stock ECU.
very true...

who knows what will happen? we just gotta wait and find out i guess
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #78
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Shiv,
Any chance we can get a glimpse of a V2 Proceed timeslip?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #79
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

yeah but a small nearly bankrupt company like Dinan, it does seem weird they would do beta testing in Flordia if they are located in No. California.
How do they monitor the testing?

There are a lot closer places to do hot, humid, sea level testing to No. California than Flordia.
I would think if they had other beta testers around the country the news would have leaked by now.
And I would also think they would most definitely have at least one of not more beta testers IN their own area or town.

Weird.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #80
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

I didn't think BMW warranties any Dinan products anymore?

Surely BMW is not going to warranty an ECU flash that brings the turbos up to 15 psi of boost???
I don't see how that would make financial sense to them.

Dinan say charges $1500 for the flash, $750 of which BMW and the dealer get.
The added stress on the engine and drivetrain and the probability of parts failing sooner is surely NOT worth a few hundred dollars per car to BMW.
I can see covering an exhaust, or wheels, or brakes, or sway bars, or suspension, etc etc.
But an ECU flash that nearly doubles the boost pressure....no way!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #81
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
yeah but a small nearly bankrupt company like Dinan, it does seem weird they would do beta testing in Flordia if they are located in No. California.

There are a lot closer places to do hot, humid, sea level testing to No. California than Flordia.
I would think if they had other beta testers around the country the news would have leaked by now.
And I would also think they would most definitely have at least one of not more beta testers IN their own area or town.

Weird.
its even more weird, now that they're going to be their own individual company and no longer partnered with bmw since the bmw performance line is coming out
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #82
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

I find it hard to believe the little turbos will do 15lbs...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #83
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Rambler View Post
I find it hard to believe the little turbos will do 15lbs...
I think they'll do up to 16.
Maybe it was Shiv who posted that somewhere.
Just too much for them though.

I wouldn't want anymore than the 13.5-14 the PROcede v2.0 (and I think the current v1.47 is about that too) is going to put out. And even that worries me a tad.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #84
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Weird.

Seems to me that they would want a tester that would be a lot easier for them to monitor so N. Cal would be the obvious location. Now it's possible that they are finished with local testing and decided to send it out to a select few cars around the country to test. Seems strange that they would just let one of their testers run the car at the track and then post the times, you would think they would be trying to milk that for all they could, unless the poster broke a NDA but then it wouldn't be hard for them to know who it is so that seems unlikely.

With that all said, based on current upgrades that are out and the prices Dinan normally charges, I'd be shocked to see it at anything less than $1999.00, but I've been surprised before.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #85
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No but Dinan warranties their product. My Dinan diff went on my M6 and they replaced it quickly and with no cost to me.
sure dinan will reflash your ECU if it gets corrupted somehow im sure....

but their not going to warranty your engine if it blows up, which is all anyone cares about
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #86
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Until you start talking Dinan prices.

Which I will do here/now.

The Dinan wheels he used are forged 19x8.5 f and 19 x 9.5 r
they weigh 20 lbs (10-11 pounds lighter than stock). Same weight as the Morr Alloy wheels I'll be getting this week.
Dinan's wheels cost $5000.
Yes, $5000

What's funny is, on Dinan site, they list that with these wheels and 245 front and 265 rear tires you lose 51 pounds total rotational mass.
But what's not correc is they list the stock 335i Coupe wheels at 26 pounds.
Which they are actually 30 pounds front and 31 rear.
But if they think the stocks are only 26 pounds and their wheels are 20 (6 lbs less each for a total of 24 pounds) which tires do they think weigh almost 7 pounds lighter than stock???

Next, the Brembo brakes they have.
As I stated in my first post these brakes also probably reduce rotational mass by a couple pounds each...so as I guessed, this car that ran the 12.3 @ 114 had 55-60 pounds less rotational mass as well.
These Brembo brake package from Dinan cost:
$6590.

So just the brakes and wheels will set you back $11,590...tires are extra!

The exhaust.
Dinan's exhaust is a catback system.
On their site they list it give a gain of only 6 hp and 5 lbs ft of torque.
That's not possible. It HAS got to give more than that.
Just removing the cats will give you more power than that.
Hell, just changing to high flow mufflers will give you close to that.
Every other Catback exhaust from other manufacturers are giving 15-18 hp gains at the crank (10-15 rwhp).
So I'd say Dinan is being a bit conservative on the gains here.
But surely, as stated before, it dropped weight. Probably 25-30 pounds just like other catback systems.
Dinan price: $1899 (not too bad, but others are $1500).

Flash:

I'm going to guess they'll charge between $1000-1499 for the flash.

In summary...WAY to much for the wheels and brakes.
The exhaust and flash, well it's not bad if the flash is in that range.
But I'll take the removable, re-sellable PROcede v2.0
With a comparable exhaust, lightweight wheels and lighter but wider and sticker aftermarket wheels you'd see the exact same 12.3's @ 114 mph times (on 93 Octane)...give or take a bit, driver dependent (skill and weight) of course.
All this is why I would insist on seeing other 335i's with the supposed Dinan DME flash to post up their timeslips as well; let's see if a 335i with just the Dinan flash + 19" non-RFTs (with stock exhaust) can run <12.6x sec. @ 111+mph...now that would be impressive, imho. I would also like to know exactly how much WHP & RWTQ this supposed Dinan flash with 15psi is making.

The point is you need more than 1 car to verify and reproduce results. We all know that a PROcede 335i can run the 1/4 mi. in the mid-high 12's-13.0xx sec., and that's with v1.4x. Now, we'll wait and see what our PROcede (v2.0) 335i's can run the 1/4 mi., but it won't take too long since we have so many PROcede 335i's on the road that can verify results.

btw -- My 19" M6 Reps are ~ 25lbs. each (not 20lbs. like the Dinan wheels), which is about 4lbs. lighter than the oem stock 18" sport wheels, and my Mich. PS2s are a couple lbs. lighter than the oem RFTs; the reduced weight on my car is only about 24lbs.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #87
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
sure dinan will reflash your ECU if it gets corrupted somehow im sure....

but their not going to warranty your engine if it blows up, which is all anyone cares about
Out of curiousity have you dealt with Dinan before to make this statement?

I have had made some Dinan warranty claims and it was hassle free. I am pretty sure Dinan does a better job at product testing than almost every other tuner. It drives me crazy how long it takes for their products to come out but they do a lot of testing.

If the SW does mess up the engine, I am confident Dinan will stand by the product and warranty whatever breaks. I am willing to bet my car on it.
      08-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #88
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiousity have you dealt with Dinan before to make this statement?

I have had made some Dinan warranty claims and it was hassle free. I am pretty sure Dinan does a better job at product testing than almost every other tuner. It drives me crazy how long it takes for their products to come out but they do a lot of testing.

If the SW does mess up the engine, I am confident Dinan will stand by the product and warranty whatever breaks. I am willing to bet my car on it.
no i just arrived at that conclusion through common sense, thats all
Appreciate 0