E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

04-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #155
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Has anyone got a new 320i that's actually working without any problems? I seem to have noticed quite a few more on the road of lately.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #156
james1979
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport Convertible

Angry

BMW were meant to drop my "fixed" car back to me last night but didnt!!!

After talking to them this morning, I have been informed that v29 has been installed already, in fact it was done last week before the spark plugs were changed. Apparently they are now awaiting v31 for some models but this doesnt apply to mine because it is now "fine"..... ONLY I KNOW THAT IT ISNT!

However, as a jesture of goodwill, and possibly because of the fact I have bought 5 cars from them in 18 months, and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that their engine is an absolute bag of spanners, BMW are apparently going to offer me a goodwill payment which will help me out of the vehicle. They have been discussing other options this morning with me.

Problem is, I have lost faith now in all fairness and if I am truthful, the cars I fancy driving now dont have a BMW badge on them!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #157
yatesey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320 SE cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLSEN View Post
Has anyone got a new 320i that's actually working without any problems? I seem to have noticed quite a few more on the road of lately.
or NOT on the road!!.....

..just by way of an update...mines had new cam sensors and it def feels smoother at 1500......and a little quicker on the uptake...but the hesitation is still there!!!...as BMW tech have confirmed to me!......theyve not put v29 on as its usuitable for mine ..so still waiting for 29.1...ish

my bet is ..all the plugs/injectors/coils/cams/wiring/ and the computer plus the software update will be needed before its anywhere near fixed....still feeling like a guinea pig here!

...thats a point???.....why do they keep wanting to change the software if the hardware is failing!!...how would they know wot to change if they didnt have a 320 car/engine running (or not!) somewhere in Germany under test and therefore how could they say theres nothing wrong with the 320's....when the repeated software updates have to suggest that there is!!...or have i been drinking too much coffee this morning...sorry for the brain dump

"sex on legs!...well.. wheels!!..."
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #158
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
James, welcome and sorry to hear about your problems (unfortunately welcome to the club, as it were). Mine still has the hesitation at 1500 and 1900rpm on light throttle. I shall be getting it checked again. I suggest getting BMW UK to write a letter saying your car is completely fixed and that there are no problems. Then try What Car? Dunno, I'm just waiting to see if mine gets any worse. Mine went tits up in November, and was at a dealers in Scotland for over 4 weeks. Apparently it just had a software update, but when I got it back the oil had been topped up. For some dealers I am assured this is normal (but not in my experience thus far) and the cynic in me therefore assumed that mechanical work had been done.

It'll get sorted eventually; my opinion is that BMW are refusing to admit there is a problem as that will open the rejection floodgates. I'll check babybmw at some point but does anyone know of issues with the same engine in the 1 Series??
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #159
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Still not had an answer:

1. Did nobody ever have the 320i problem in their 318i?

2. Since the ED engine is 'new', and (I believe) features a new injector system, should we not be able to say - with some degree of confidence - that the ED cars will not have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #160
eimer3107
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
I've had mine since last July, done around 16000 miles....

I've not had the orange engine light come on and I've not noticed any loss of power. Are there any other early symptoms which might be evident ?

Getting around 34 mpg at the moment
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #161
james1979
Rep

Smile

Went into BMW again today.

They refuse to agree that something is up with the car but its currently worse than ever!

Anyway, BMW and the dealer have done a deal to get me out of the car and into another vehicle as a 'goodwill gesture'.

The way its been done, BMW have contributed so much, the dealer has contibuted so much and in all fairness, thanks to the efforts of the dealership, I have lost nothing out of the deal apart from my time and a few headaches.

I pick up my new motor at the end of the month and now i'm driving a better car, a higher value car and it is costing me less money than before.

Needless to say, I would never buy a 320i again! Diesels only for me from now on!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #162
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
What did you get?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #163
yatesey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1979 View Post
Went into BMW again today.

They refuse to agree that something is up with the car but its currently worse than ever!

Anyway, BMW and the dealer have done a deal to get me out of the car and into another vehicle as a 'goodwill gesture'.

The way its been done, BMW have contributed so much, the dealer has contibuted so much and in all fairness, thanks to the efforts of the dealership, I have lost nothing out of the deal apart from my time and a few headaches.

I pick up my new motor at the end of the month and now i'm driving a better car, a higher value car and it is costing me less money than before.

Needless to say, I would never buy a 320i again! Diesels only for me from now on!
well done James!!....

..i wonder..is this the first exchanged / replaced??...might prove to be good for all us sufferers!

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #164
james1979
Rep

Got a 56 plate X5 Le Mans Edition.

Had one before. Only sold last one because of fuel consumption being so awful.
However, I am used to awful fuel consumption now so it doesnt matter!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #165
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimer3107 View Post
I've had mine since last July, done around 16000 miles....

I've not had the orange engine light come on and I've not noticed any loss of power. Are there any other early symptoms which might be evident ?

Getting around 34 mpg at the moment
Generally just running like a pile of sh!t, mine always felt like it was mis firing when acelerating no matter how fast or slow. On the motorway if your foot was steady or even with the cruise control on it felt as if the car was pumping different amounts of fuel into the engine sometimes pushing the revs around slightly other times just feeling like you were letting off the gas every few seconds. The times it popped it's fuel injectors.. just previous to this the revs have bounced around a bit then it's just stuttered and gone into limp mode... not good, But I'm hoping if you're motoring away trouble free it may have just been a problem with the first batch or something? My 320 was the first in & out of my particular dealership in April 07... still bl00dy annoying

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #166
macka
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Coupe E92

Hey guys. Just so you know im driving E92 320i coupe ED engine and i did 9k km so far. I didnt notice any bad behavior on my egine apart from 2 or 3 times my idle rev went down and up few times, but after reading all your posts i went to dealer to check if everything is allright with my engine. Dealer did some tests and it turns out that i had more than 250 errors of one kind. After some reserach they told me they have to replace EGR valve which is resposnible for may idle rev "weaves".
Im waitng now for part to be delievered and im gonna get it replaceed on friday ... we will see if it helps and ill let u know.
Any of you guys had EGR replaced ?? Maybe this is the problem ??
What do you think about this diagnosis?

Last edited by macka; 04-09-2008 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #167
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
You guys are lucky that BMW is developing s/w updates for your car type.

I have been told today that there will be no updates planned for the 320si model!!

So it looks like they will probably start to swap parts out - might even get a new engine - who knows!
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #168
babyone
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 118i SE

Can't tell you about a 318 but my 118i (the ED) has shown the symptoms discussed here on the 320. It's been back 3 times and now has the latest version of the offending sensors and software.

I've now had it back for 10 days and acceleration is now much better (it now feels like 140 bhp) but it still sounds like a diesel when started.

It did appear to "blip" the power delivery when I first got it back but has been fine since.

I'm also told by my dealer that the problem exists on another 118 they have
and that I am far from the only person suffering from the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #169
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

Just to give you guys an update, after 2 weeks hard running mine still is good.

Im getting 32 plus MPG (I do stretch its legs alot!), as opposed to 27mpg that I was getting before.

The car does however feel great to drive, the power curve feels totally different, has a lot more pull which is great.

We will see how it continues...

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #170
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

So...chaps/chapesses.....any more news?

E92fan - do we have any recognition of the problem yet ?

I'm about to resume battle this week....car is due back in but it won't happen unless they give me an acceptable replacement FOC.....

Latest niggle to add to the catalogue is that they finally sent me a replacement for the cover to the diagnostic plug which they lost on one of the other visits.....and its the wrong one!!!!!!

AAAArrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #171
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've been driving a courtesy car (FOC) for 5 and a half weeks now!
When will they get all of these cars sorted??

BBC's watchdog anyone???

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #172
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've been driving a courtesy car (FOC) for 5 and a half weeks now!
When will they get all of these cars sorted??

BBC's watchdog anyone???

Exactly!!

While obviously E92fan has a day job, it really would be nice to know if he has had any success in presenting our collective complaint.........???

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #173
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Exactly!!

While obviously E92fan has a day job, it really would be nice to know if he has had any success in presenting our collective complaint.........???
Chrisbin, I'm sure Tony will deal with it as soon as he can. He's got a day job, and has had about as many problems with his own car as we have collectively, too. After all, he's doing this in his own time for no return. Everything comes to he who waits.......
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #174
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Chrisbin, I'm sure Tony will deal with it as soon as he can. He's got a day job, and has had about as many problems with his own car as we have collectively, too. After all, he's doing this in his own time for no return. Everything comes to he who waits.......
Absolutely - I fully understand about his work on this being unpaid, hence the statement in my post...its just that I have enquired a couple of times, both directly and also in this thread, and not received any answer at all....

Anyway, I guess I just have to continue to plough my own furrow....

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #175
yatesey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
hi bumps........hows urs running these days? ok? or not?...mine-about to be reinspected by BMW senior engineer tomorrow!

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #176
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Exclamation

There have been some changes at BMW UK recently- Jim O'Donnell has moved on to BMW NA & his successor is now Klaus Kibsgaard.
This hasn't made communication any easier.

I've spoken to Tony a few times about this. He has been speaking to BMW UK about the problems concerning the 320i, but he can only pass on information to everyone here, after BMW communicate with him.
He has also been sorting out problems with his own car, other people's cars and the UK5 meet, all in addition to running his own business & his life.

I'm sure he'll let you all know what's happening, as soon as he does.

Try to be a little more patient, ok.

Viv

Appreciate 0