E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JDMspeed valve cover

06-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #23
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

I’m sorry, there is nothing “obvious” about your conclusion

Most of us use aftermarket parts with great success. Whether an aftermarket part will last depends on the quality of the components and manufacture which in many cases are at least equal to the OEM supplier. Sometimes the aftermarket supplier is the OEM supplier. No generalization can be made.

In the case of the aftermarket valve cover, there are a very low number of posts reporting failures. They haven't been around long enough or utilized broadly enough to generate a consensus about longevity at this point.

Last edited by dpaul; 06-18-2019 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #24
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I'm sorry, there is nothing "obvious" about your conclusion

Most of us use aftermarket parts with great success. Whether an aftermarket part will last depends on the quality of the components and manufacture which in many cases are at least equal to the OEM supplier. Sometimes the aftermarket supplier is the OEM supplier. No generalization can be made.

In the case of the aftermarket valve cover, there are a very low number of posts reporting failures. They haven't been around long enough or utilized broadly enough to generate a consensus about longevity at this point.
There was a period of time around a year ago where 3-4 back to back posts of people using dorman or uro or cheap ebay all had issues upon install and had to replace with the oem bmw cover. If you have time to be redoing work then feel free to take the chance. Most people do not use off-brand valve covers on These cars for this reason, it's not worth the potential risk of double labor charges or time out of your life. Do it once and do it right.
      06-19-2019, 05:11 AM   #25
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OK, 3-4 posts about a year ago. I suspect there have been quite a few more than that sold and installed in that time. Most people only post when they have problems - few post to report success, even in lengthy threads where lots of people try to help them out.

You are absolutely right however, about the labor issue. It's an easy choice for me because I do all the work myself and I enjoy doing it. I've got 4 vehicles, a good set of tools and a good place to work so there's never any time pressure. If I were paying a garage to do the work and/or it involved an obligate daily driver, I'd use an OEM valve cover because the cost differential, say $200 at most, would not be worth the risk.
Appreciate 1
Jklad421.00
      06-19-2019, 05:35 AM   #26
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
My point is even tho OE part might be shit, it still has made it to all this mileage. Then you buy a part that is usually cheaper in price and build you will obviously not get as much mileage out of it IMO. Especially something like gaskets.
Sorrry.

I know it's past time for me to let this go but one final remark:

Especially something like gaskets? I've never used an OEM gasket from BMW when an aftermarket was available and never had subsequent problems. Perhaps you missed the discussion in which the problems with BMW gaskets and seals was ascribed to regulations requiring the use of recycled materials in certain types of manufacture. I can't say that this is truly the explanation for why BMW gaskets and seals seem to fail at a rate so much higher than those used in much less exalted vehicles. I can only say that BMW gaskets tend to fail when there is no obvious reason to do so. You do realize that N54 engines aren't even the ones with the worst problems? Google valve stem seals N63 engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #27
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Sorrry.

I know it's past time for me to let this go but one final remark:

Especially something like gaskets? I've never used an OEM gasket from BMW when an aftermarket was available and never had subsequent problems. Perhaps you missed the discussion in which the problems with BMW gaskets and seals was ascribed to regulations requiring the use of recycled materials in certain types of manufacture. I can't say that this is truly the explanation for why BMW gaskets and seals seem to fail at a rate so much higher than those used in much less exalted vehicles. I can only say that BMW gaskets tend to fail when there is no obvious reason to do so. You do realize that N54 engines aren't even the ones with the worst problems? Google valve stem seals N63 engines.
For sure I agree BMW gaskets are subpar and yeah I think might be because of those regulations... but still IMO if my valve cover gasket had made it 120k KM I expect my next OE one to do the same, which 120k KM is still pretty good if you consider how long you will keep the car again... at most you will have to do the jobs 2 times. I just did OFHG last year with a aftermarket one and yikes it was terrible only lasted one year. Just put in the OE one granted the new one is now made in Japan but still would've went with OE if made in Germany.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 06-19-2019 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #28
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
My original OEM VC has 164,000 miles and counting.

If you use an OEM gasket and sandwich is between two beads of Ultra Black, you will get at least 75 to 100,000 miles out of the VC gasket.
Appreciate 1
Jklad421.00
      06-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #29
PortDover335xi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

Well I have an actually bmw gasket that I bought As well. I'll think about the gasket seal. Might pick some up this weekend. Don't worry I'll keep everyone updated!
Appreciate 0