E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Australia Classifieds Section > NBT retrofit to CCC and CIC

04-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #67
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

neo andersson
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #68
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I installed and coded Trev88's CIC and combox for him. Required some repinning of the MULF harness but wasn't too bad.

NBT requires a bit more work with the trimming of the display. Not hard but it would be time consuming. I'd say unless you're going to CNC route the cutout for the touch controller its not going to look that great. You can still use the CIC controller if you don't want to deal with the trim though.
How long do you think the install would take?

TBH I was thinking of just dremelling out the CIC then wrapping it.

But if we had enough guys I may be able to organise a batch of CNC routed consoles.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #69
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
neo andersson
I'm guessing you typed the guys name who supplied a lot of assistance in that link I provided, he's the supplier whom you're sourcing through? (Neo)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #70
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Socks, CCC never had a USB option bro
Oh
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #71
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
How long do you think the install would take?

TBH I was thinking of just dremelling out the CIC then wrapping it.

But if we had enough guys I may be able to organise a batch of CNC routed consoles.
For something that you will look at everyday I wouldn't think a dremel job would look good enough, but i'm very picky. On a 1 series the piece of plastic for the controller is pretty small and I could just throw it on my friend's CNC router but a 3 series trim is a big piece that would be tricky to mount without a jig (to hold it stable while its being milled). The problem is that the controller does not have a lip that will cover minor mistakes.

Hard to say how long it would take. Everyone works at different speeds and find certain things easier/harder. For a DIY for someone who hasn't done it before but is reasonably competent I'd say it would take an afternoon (4-5 hours?).

Last edited by vtl; 04-06-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #72
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
I installed and coded Trev88's CIC and combox for him. Required some repinning of the MULF harness but wasn't too bad.

NBT requires a bit more work with the trimming of the display. Not hard but it would be time consuming. I'd say unless you're going to CNC route the cutout for the touch controller its not going to look that great. You can still use the CIC controller if you don't want to deal with the trim though.
Anyone got a link for the NBT touch controller???
I assume this is the one with the functionally to draw letters on the surface to select names in address book etc
Ill need to buy one of these now, before i get my trim wrapped
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #73
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quote:
Socks, CCC never had a USB option bro
Oh
Sure it did, its for the 6FL option. Even my car with the crappy M-ASK system (cut down CCC) has a usb port to connect an IPOD.
      04-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #74
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
For something that you will look at everyday I wouldn't think a dremel job would look good enough, but i'm very picky. On a 1 series the piece of plastic for the controller is pretty small and I could just throw it on my friend's CNC router but a 3 series trim is a big piece that would be tricky to mount without a jig (to hold it stable while its being milled). The problem is that the controller does not have a lip that will cover minor mistakes.

Hard to say how long it would take. Everyone works at different speeds and find certain things easier/harder. For a DIY for someone who hasn't done it before but is reasonably competent I'd say it would take an afternoon (4-5 hours?).
I was going to try and attempt to get mine wrapped in thick novillo leather and figuired it would be pretty easy to dremmel out a few mm accurately by making up a template with cardboard tracing on the console then hitting it with a dremmel (allow the extra few mm for the leather and bam done)

But yes agree a cnc profile would be trick!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #75
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing you typed the guys name who supplied a lot of assistance in that link I provided, he's the supplier whom you're sourcing through? (Neo)
Shane, yep. I saw his name way before I came across custom retrofit .co!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #76
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Anyone got a link for the NBT touch controller???
I assume this is the one with the functionally to draw letters on the surface to select names in address book etc
Ill need to buy one of these now, before i get my trim wrapped
Socks, that's the one. It comes in the kit already! Just wait for it to arrive befoe you do it. I wa na get carbon fibre overlay like EB89 did, so I'm either gonna cut the CIC trim to fit then send it off to be overlaid (use my existing CCC trim in the meantime as the touch controller just sits in the big hole if you cut the plastic between the dial and the knob) OR I saw someone fibreglass their existing CCC trim before wrapping.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #77
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

*between dial and menu button
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #78
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Socks, that's the one. It comes in the kit already! Just wait for it to arrive befoe you do it. I wa na get carbon fibre overlay like EB89 did, so I'm either gonna cut the CIC trim to fit then send it off to be overlaid (use my existing CCC trim in the meantime as the touch controller just sits in the big hole if you cut the plastic between the dial and the knob) OR I saw someone fibreglass their existing CCC trim before wrapping.
I see thanks Cashy
Better hold off until it arrives then
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #79
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The problem is that the controller does not have a lip that will cover minor mistakes.
Instead of a dremel, I was gonna use sandpaper to get it down as perfect as possible then I was thinking of plastidipping one of these and it would cover the edge enough
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1459980175266
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #80
JASE335
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 2008

This could be be released soon which allows Android on iDrive screen with either touch screen or mini trackpad control. This guy has it running on CIC however there are two models one for CIC and another for NBT.

Would be a pretty sweet setup combined with NBT. MHD Logging and gauges.

Eglober Android Interface Link

Mini Trackpad link
Attached Images

2008 (pre LCI) 335i E90 6AT Sapphire Black- MHD Wedge Custom E60 Map - Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP - Alpina Trans Flash - AFE Stage 2 Intake - RB Inlets & Outlets - Wagner Performance Intercooler - BMS catch can, RB PCV Valve - Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings - Dunlop Sportmaxx RT - M3 219M 18" Wheels - Akebono Ceramic Pads - M3 Steering Wheel & M3 DCT Paddles - M3 LCI Novillo leather full interior

Last edited by JASE335; 04-06-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      04-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #81
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7 View Post
CIC systems that came with 6Fl and 6VC option codes (Combox) has 2 USB ports, one in the glovebox and the other in the armrest.

CIC that doesn't have Combox only has one USB port in the glovebox and only an AUX port in the armrest without USB.

The USB port in the glovebox is used to update the maps and CIC firmware (can be obtained from BMW website for free by entering your VIN). While the USB in the armrest can't be used for updating, but is used instead for connecting USB sticks, iPhone, iPod... etc.

CCC doesn't have any USB ports anywhere, but has an AUX in the armrest.

EB89 your car has CIC with Combox so you won't be benefiting much from doing a NBT upgrade! You'll gain slightly better graphics, faster processor, higher contrast screen, larger HDD storage capacity, M-lap timer, BMW Apps, ability to stream videos from USB in the armrest (CIC does not allow this), and Sports Display (real-time power and torque meters).
Sounds like ill benefit a lot!! haha, but I know what you mean, the jump from mine compared to someone with CCC wont be as big feature wise.

Also FYI you can play music via the glovebox USB with an iPhone as well.
      04-07-2016, 02:01 AM   #82
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
There is a CIC version too

http://www.eglober.com/productshow.asp?/2074.html
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:03 AM   #83
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Instead of a dremel, I was gonna use sandpaper to get it down as perfect as possible then I was thinking of plastidipping one of these and it would cover the edge enough
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1459980175266
This is a good idea to get a clean finish, especially in silver
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #84
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

To help answer a few more questions :
Hi,

************* on forums is my nickname.

1. CIC USB in glovebox works OK with NBT
2. Attached wiring diagram for front and rear camera with relay switch.
3. Camera switching is like this : when car is in reverse rear camera is activated, if you put car in drive will switch to front camera until 10kmh speed is reach and pdc/camera screen is deactivated. It will switch to back camera again if car in reverse so everytime you switch from R to D and vice-versa relay will switch between cameras. If PDC button is pressed, front camera is displayed until R gear is engaged.
4. OEM GPS aerial in any BMW will work OK with NBT, also any aftermarket GPS aerial with fakra connector. For any other required part we can provide part numbers to be ordered locally.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #85
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Good stuff Kent

emtronika seems to have cables etc covered FWIW he recommended to buy adapters from carsystems.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #86
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

All BT streaming hardware is inside NBT and we activate it by default.
Only thing for is tp work is to connect BT aerial to NBT. Can be car's original BT aerial if fitted, any aftermarket BT aerial with fakra connector or the BMW OE BT aerial for NBT which is about 30 euro at dealer and comes with cable to connect it to NBT.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #87
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff Kent

emtronika seems to have cables etc covered FWIW he recommended to buy adapters from carsystems.
Hey Shane, I have no idea what you're talking about here. Shays an emtronika and what adapters
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #88
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

DW, I just googled emtronika and tried carsystems dot com lol. You mean the usb/aux box yeah? What's the price for box and 2M cable?
Appreciate 0