E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost issues

06-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #45
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: From the passenger seat

I definitely agree that another video would be much more helpful. If possible a video from the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #46
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by White330 View Post
Actually with our turbos, at vacuum the wastegates stay closed and with boost they open. So I guess my thought is if the going into to boost they start to open, but then fail and shut and this keeps happening causing the choo choo noise. Another thing OP may want to check is his Cats(if he has them). If they are clogged, that can cause too much back pressure and huge problems.
Not true. They actually work backwords on bmws. Vacuum closes the turbo wastegates.

Heres a video showing it in action.

Looking at his recent log

https://datazap.me/u/monkeyspeed/bmw...data=3-5-20-30

and his WGDC is high the entire time not just at the beginning like they normally do. The only time the wgdc stays high all the way through is if your maxing out the turbos.

So this leads me to belive he has a huge boost leak (could be a valve cover gasket or head gasket even if replaced not to long ago a boost leak check will find out) or engine problems with compression, or the wastegates themsleves are messedup and not actually closing with vacuum.

He can test this by buying a vacuum pump and testing the wastegates manually by inspecting them when applying vacuum (with downpipes off)
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #47
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: From the passenger seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Not true. They actually work backwords on bmws. Vacuum closes the turbo wastegates.

Heres a video showing it in action.

Looking at his recent log

https://datazap.me/u/monkeyspeed/bmw...data=3-5-20-30

and his WGDC is high the entire time not just at the beginning like they normally do. The only time the wgdc stays high all the way through is if your maxing out the turbos.

So this leads me to belive he has a huge boost leak (could be a valve cover gasket or head gasket even if replaced not to long ago a boost leak check will find out) or engine problems with compression, or the wastegates themsleves are messedup and not actually closing with vacuum.

He can test this by buying a vacuum pump and testing the wastegates manually by inspecting them when applying vacuum (with downpipes off)
That's what I said lol we must be arguing the same point. I agree it sounds like a boost leak, but OP said he got boost leak tests by multiple shops. That's why I was saying it seems like actuators, but should show as a leak right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White330 View Post
Actually with our turbos, at vacuum the wastegates stay closed and with boost they open. So I guess my thought is if the going into to boost they start to open, but then fail and shut and this keeps happening causing the choo choo noise. Another thing OP may want to check is his Cats(if he has them). If they are clogged, that can cause too much back pressure and huge problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #48
Monkeyspeed
Hi
Rep
Drives: 08 535i, 12 X5 x35i

Ended up getting my car back from the shop. They weren't able to diagnose the issue and had to give the car back due to how busy their shop has been. They didn't charge me anything which was awesome and really shows that they have their customer's interests in mind.

When I got the car back it was showing intermittent misfires on 4,5,6 and 30FF. Did some diagnosing with Rheingold and went through all the checks. It basically said either something's wrong with the injectors or there's to much charge pressure after the turbos.

While doing the diags I was looking up as much as I could on the forums. I then saw another post about someone having similar symptoms and it being a clogged secondary cat. I remembered I still had my stock secondaries on. Went on amazon and ordered a borescope for $35. In the mean time I had my stock DPs in my garage and when I looked through the one for Bank2, I noticed I could see light on the other side. The entire thing was empty...

Dropped my exhaust, fed the camera through and what do you know...It looked like someone scooped up some tan bark and threw it in there. I'll post a pic later...

My buddy that was helping me with the Rheingold stuff then welded in a couple vibrant 1792 resonators that everyone seems to use. Took it for a spin and no more 30FF. Sounds good, almost stock with this setup which I like.

The car isn't quite done yet though - my diverter valves seemed to have been misplaced but a set of stock ones are currently installed. I'm running a "base tune" and not trying to go WOT too much while I iron out the rest of the kinks.

Not sure if it's tune related but I do hear a slight surge like sound coming from the turbos or DVs while WOT. I've noticed a bit of a stutter too when going higher in the RPMs, almost like misfires.

Still need to find time to do some proper logs but will post up once I can.
Appreciate 0