E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i won’t start all of a sudden!

11-22-2022, 01:30 AM   #1
Rog325i
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

Post 325i won’t start all of a sudden!

Hey all,

New to the forum so greetings . Bought an e93 325i (convertible) a few months ago and had been pretty strong other than a leaky windscreen washer fluid tank. But when I tried to start it most recently, it wouldn’t crank! It just made a small clicking noise, I believe from the fuel pump perhaps?

I initially thought the battery died but when I charger it up with my housemates’ car battery, still no joy. However, while connected, it seems the engine started to crank before dying out, maybe 2 or 3 cranks. The dash lights and other electrics still turn on when the key is in and the ignition is switched on.

So what does it sound like the problem is likely to be and how can I diagnose for sure? I thought starter motor had gone, but because of the small cranking when connected, I’m wondering if it’s something else?

Thanks

Last edited by Rog325i; 11-22-2022 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:45 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Dead battery. Get a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
Rog325i
Rep

The battery has been very strong since I bought it, never had a problem with starting. This issue developed literally overnight. Is it possible for a battery become that weak that quickly?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 06:29 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Yes. If it shorts, it will not pass current and will not even jumpstart. My diagnosis is based on your statement that when connected to another car the engine cranked over a few times. The clicking noise is the starter solenoid being triggered by the low battery voltage.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #5
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

First, buy a $10 mulitmeter and check battery voltage, as you may have a short which is draining the battery. Can you jump the car with another battery? Once it is started, check the alternator voltage, which at the battery should be 13+ to 14+.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 09:01 AM   #6
Rog325i
Rep

I’ve checked the battery voltage, and it seems there is a voltage drop somewhere between the connectors in the engine bay at the front, and the battery in the rear. Gets 14V at the front and loses about 4V across so the battery isn’t being charged by the car. I’m likely going to have to get an auto electrician to take a look to try to locate the source, but any more suggestions of things to try before I do would be great, Thanks.

Last edited by Rog325i; 11-24-2022 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 10:17 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog325i View Post
I’ve checked the battery voltage, and it seems there is a voltage drop somewhere between the connectors in the engine bay at the front, and the battery in the rear. Gets 14V at the front and loses about 4V across so the battery isn’t being charged by the car. I’m likely going to have to get an auto electrician to take a look to try to locate the source, but any more suggestions of things to try before I do would be great, Thanks.
Check for a corroded terminal behind the right rear wheel fenderliner.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
I’ve checked the battery voltage, and it seems there is a voltage drop somewhere between the connectors in the
engine bay at the front, and the battery in the rear. Gets 14V at the front and loses about 4V across so the battery isn’t being charged by the car...
If your DMM measures significantly DIFFERENT Voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals under the hood/bonnet than at the Battery Posts in the Trunk/Boot,
then you likely have a rusted/corroded "Transfer Point" at the larger of the two B+ cables shown in attached Photo (battery removed). That Transfer
Point is where the B+ connection to Alternator and Starter pass through the Chassis to a LONGER Cable that runs beneath the vehicle to engine.

If battery voltage & Jumpstart Terminal Voltage are SAME with engine OFF, then you may have a bad Ground Strap at the Starter. Attach
ONE Jumper Cable between Chassis Ground ("Hex-pin" at right wing) and good Engine Ground (bolt or metal bracket) and see if Starter Cranks.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-27-2022, 05:49 AM   #9
jadah0101
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2007

Quote:
Hey all,

New to the forum so greetings . Bought an e93 325i (convertible) a few months ago and had been pretty strong other than a leaky windscreen washer fluid tank. But when I tried to start it most recently, it wouldn’t crank! It just made a small clicking noise, I believe from the fuel pump perhaps?

I initially thought the battery died but when I charger it up with my housemates’ car battery, still no joy. However, while connected, it seems the engine started to crank before dying out, maybe 2 or 3 cranks. The dash lights and other electrics still turn on when the key is in and the ignition is switched on.

So what does it sound like the problem is likely to be and how can I diagnose for sure? I thought starter motor had gone, but because of the small cranking when connected, I’m wondering if it’s something else?

Thanks
Quote:
Hey all,

New to the forum so greetings . Bought an e93 325i (convertible) a few months ago and had been pretty strong other than a leaky windscreen washer fluid tank. But when I tried to start it most recently, it wouldn't crank! It just made a small clicking noise, I believe from the fuel pump perhaps?

I initially thought the battery died but when I charger it up with my housemates' car battery, still no joy. However, while connected, it seems the engine started to crank before dying out, maybe 2 or 3 cranks. The dash lights and other electrics still turn on when the key is in and the ignition is switched on.

So what does it sound like the problem is likely to be and how can I diagnose for sure? I thought starter motor had gone, but because of the small cranking when connected, I'm wondering if it's something else?

Thanks
Hi ya i had the same issue it was the starter motor but i guess it could be anything. I have my replacement will be done tomorrow and hopefully it will get fix. Might be a similar thing to mine all the dashboars lights are working too. I have amber engine management light too. and i saw the low battery sign coming up too. It could be fuel pump but if you're hearing hissing noise near to your fuel then it might be the reason and they're very expensive to be done around £1,200 plus here in Uk not sure in US
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 09:56 PM   #10
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Mine recently did this to me at a gas station and it was in fact the starter. It would have a weak start sometimes when it was warm. When it died it turned over really weak then nothing, dead. Start button would just turn the dash on/off.

You can check a specific point within the engine bay electrical box to see if power is getting to the starter which will tell you the CAS is all good.

I had tried jumping the starter from the other end of the plug and it did nothing. After replacing the starter, it cranked right up.
Appreciate 0