E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Very rough idle on cold start - help! FIXED!!!!!

02-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Very rough idle on cold start - help! FIXED!!!!!

My E92 2007 (with RB turbos otherwise stock) started having very rough starts and idles on cold days. It then smoothens up after a while. But it doesn't run very well and I take it easy with it. INPA shows the following errors:

DME/DDE (Digital Motor Electronics)-
- 30BE: Injector calibration issue
- 2B2C:Fuel high pressure issue on cold start
- 29F2:Fuel high-pressure system, fuel pressure. ​

The mileage of the vehicle is 130k miles. The injectors are original but the HPFP, updated high pressure pipes and sensors were changed 2 years ago. I'm getting index 12 injectors from FCPEURO and will replace all six of them. I was wondering about the fuel pressure codes. Are the codes for fuel pressure just as a result of the injector issues? I'd be shocked if the HPFP or sensors or pipe already have issues after only two years.

Thanks for any pointers.

Last edited by musa; 08-18-2020 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep
Drives: 2007 6MT 335i upgraded twins

Can you give us a good log on startup?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
My E92 2007 (with RB turbos otherwise stock) started having very rough starts and idles on cold days. It then smoothens up after a while. But it doesn't run very well and I take it easy with it. INPA shows the following errors:

The mileage of the vehicle is 130k miles. The injectors are original but the HPFP, updated high pressure pipes and sensors were changed 2 years ago. I'm getting index 12 injectors from FCPEURO and will replace all six of them. I was wondering about the fuel pressure codes. Are the codes for fuel pressure just as a result of the injector issues? I'd be shocked if the HPFP or sensors or pipe already have issues after only two years.

Thanks for any pointers.
I'm going to bet those codes are related to the injectors and once you replace with the index 12's code them and clear the faults you'll be fine. Just my opinion.
NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS - TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS - VRSF DOWNPIPES
BMS PEDAL TUNER - VTT DUAL CATCH CANS
3.5 BAR TMAP - NGK 97506 PLUGS
H@R SPRINGS - NRW V1 PADDLES
PFS STAGE 3 LPFP - PFS V2 PORT INJECTION
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
ZIMMERMAN DRILLED ROTORS - EBC REDSTUFF PADS
Appreciate 1
JM98391.00
      02-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #4
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule1977 View Post
I'm going to bet those codes are related to the injectors and once you replace with the index 12's code them and clear the faults you'll be fine. Just my opinion.
That's my gut feeling since it appears to me the leaky injectors would compromise the fuel pressure system and therefore triggering those additional codes. But I guess I'm just supposing. I was wondering if anyone has walked my path and had a definitive answer.

Last edited by musa; 02-07-2020 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
okayboomer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

Thanks for any pointers.
Does the issue happen when the car is cold or any time it idles (even after warming up)? I had the same symptoms when my cyl 6 injector failed but it would only run like crap for a couple minutes after a true cold start
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayboomer View Post
Does the issue happen when the car is cold or any time it idles (even after warming up)? I had the same symptoms when my cyl 6 injector failed but it would only run like crap for a couple minutes after a true cold start
Only when the car is cold, like really cold now that we're still in winter. But when warm, it's all nice (not perfect though), like when I run to the store, 15 minutes and out. She starts and idles fine. Even on cold starts, if I give it a little gas to coax it, it goes on idling rough and then starts smoothening up. A couple of times it went into limp mode while driving. The codes thrown are still the ones I posted. The car was tops during summer and most of winter. Only lately it has decided to misbehave and eyeing my wallet . But, thankfully, the labor is going to be all mine .

Last edited by musa; 02-07-2020 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for any pointers.
This.

Had the same issue years back turned out to be leaky injectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I E90

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by okayboomer View Post
Only when the car is cold, like really cold now that we're still in winter. But when warm, it's all nice (not perfect though), like when I run to the store, 15 minutes and out. She starts and idles fine. Even on cold starts, if I give it a little gas to coax it, it goes on idling rough and then starts smoothening up. A couple of times it went into limp mode while driving. The codes thrown are still the ones I posted. The car was tops during summer and most of winter. Only lately it has decided to misbehave and eyeing my wallet . But, thankfully, the labor is going to be all mine .
100% sure it's leaky injectors especially if it only does when cold. I had this exact same problem.
NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS - TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS - VRSF DOWNPIPES
BMS PEDAL TUNER - VTT DUAL CATCH CANS
3.5 BAR TMAP - NGK 97506 PLUGS
H@R SPRINGS - NRW V1 PADDLES
PFS STAGE 3 LPFP - PFS V2 PORT INJECTION
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
ZIMMERMAN DRILLED ROTORS - EBC REDSTUFF PADS
Appreciate 1
musa421.50
      02-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
100% sure it's leaky injectors especially if it only does when cold. I had this exact same problem.
Thanks for confirmation. OEM index 12 injectors on their way. I'll report back after install to close this thread. Thank you everyone

Found an excellent DIY video for injector install on an E90 N54.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sigh, so I just replaced all 6 injectors (they were all index 1 so definitely what the car with from factory) with OEM index 12 from fcpeuro and coded them using INPA. Car still idles rough and now goes into limp mode while I'm still in the garage. High pressure fuel codes came back after clearing them. 30BE Injector calibration code is gone.

- 29F2:Fuel high-pressure system, fuel pressure.

Now what - the HPFP, high pressure fuel sensor, updated high pressure fuel line and low pressure fuel sensor were replaced 2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #11
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sigh, so I just replaced all 6 injectors (they were all index 1 so definitely what the car with from factory) with OEM index 12 from fcpeuro and coded them using INPA. Car still idles rough and now goes into limp mode while I'm still in the garage. High pressure fuel codes came back after clearing them. 30BE Injector calibration code is gone.

- 29F2:Fuel high-pressure system, fuel pressure.

Now what - the HPFP, high pressure fuel sensor, updated high pressure fuel line and low pressure fuel sensor were replaced 2 years ago.
Fuel pump went bad imo
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Fuel pump went bad imo
Which fuel pump? The high Pressure Fuel Pump or the one in the fuel tank?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #13
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fuel pump went bad imo
Which fuel pump? The high Pressure Fuel Pump or the one in the fuel tank?
Both codes seem to indicate high pressure
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #14
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got a new code. Now showing:

- 29DC cylinder injection switch-off
error type 1: high pressure system: pressure too low.

- 29F2 fuel high pressure system, fuel pressure
error type 4: lower threshold of rail pressure understepped.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #15
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Got a new code. Now showing:

- 29DC cylinder injection switch-off
error type 1: high pressure system: pressure too low.

- 29F2 fuel high pressure system, fuel pressure
error type 4: lower threshold of rail pressure understepped.
You might want to look into the msd mosfets.

Sounds like your msd80 might need repairing...

I'd start there since it's cheaper then replace the hpfp if that doesn't fix your issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #16
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'd start there since it's cheaper then replace the hpfp if that doesn't fix your issues.
The DME was also replaced two years ago along with DME cooling fun. This was done by the dealership after I couldn't fix the persistent limp mode the car had. What they did fixed the problem. Before taking it to the dealership, I'd replaced the HPFP and fuel pressure sensors. Both bought from fcpeuro so I'll get lifetime warranty replacement, so my cost will be only shipping.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #17
msjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:

I don’t think so. He would’ve also had 30bb or ba if it was that. 29dc is just a misfire code. Still think it’s injectors if he has bad cold start idles.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #18
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjt View Post
I don’t think so. He would’ve also had 30bb or ba if it was that. 29dc is just a misfire code. Still think it’s injectors if he has bad cold start idles.
I just replaced all 6 injectors with brand new OEM index 12 and the problem persists after coding. I'm going to replace the HPFP since it's under lifetime warranty by fcpeuro. This site http://bmwfault.codes/ also suggests error 29f2 (fuel high pressure system, fuel pressure) could also require replacing "flow-control valve" other than the HPFP. Any one know what flow-control valve is?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #19
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with the DME. I had mosfets go bad on 2 seperate occasions and each time it threw the 30BB or 30BA code. They also take out at least one cylinder when they go bad. I think the best advice was the first response you got: get a log of a cold startup and post it.
Appreciate 1
Knerr106.00
      02-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #20
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjt View Post
Quote:

30BA/30BB doesn't always show up when the mosfets go bad.

He's replaced pretty much almost everything fuel related what else could it be...

Bad hpfp, possibly bad lpfp or maybe a leaky injector is causing the issue? Every time I've had an issue similar to OP each and every one of those components fixed my issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
30BA/30BB doesn't always show up when the mosfets go bad.

He's replaced pretty much almost everything fuel related what else could it be...

Bad hpfp, possibly bad lpfp or maybe a leaky injector is causing the issue? Every time I've had an issue similar to OP each and every one of those components fixed my issue.
I guess I can't speak for every case, but did you have a mosfet go bad that didn't take out a cylinder? I'm not aware of that possibility, and he's not getting any misfire codes. Also, he just replaced all the injectors on your first sure advice and that did nothing for his issue. I'm saying he should get a log and go from there. He can check the mosfets out too, but even that isn't totally conclusive, as many have tested fine but still caused issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #22
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
I guess I can't speak for every case, but did you have a mosfet go bad that didn't take out a cylinder? I'm not aware of that possibility, and he's not getting any misfire codes. Also, he just replaced all the injectors on your first sure advice and that did nothing for his issue. I'm saying he should get a log and go from there. He can check the mosfets out too, but even that isn't totally conclusive, as many have tested fine but still caused issues.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I get a log? Yes, I have DIS and INPA, do those have logging functionality? The car is not tuned - it's completely stock other than the turbos.
Appreciate 0