E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Kolbenschmidt vs Original BMW bearings?

07-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
RichardGoller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Kolbenschmidt vs Original BMW bearings?

I'm replacing my conrod bearings and the original BMW bearings are 4x the price of the Kolbenschmidt ones, I tried to get Mahle ones but couldn't. Will it blow up my engine? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I can’t answer that but I can tell you what would be on my mind…

It was a lot of work to get the bearings out. I would not want to have to do that whole job again because I cut corners and used a cheap part that failed. I would need to see glowing reviews of the off brand before I would go that way. Bearing failures on N52 are nonexistent outside of eating a serpentine belt or doing something really stupid. The OEM are definitely good to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
RichardGoller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I can't answer that but I can tell you what would be on my mind…

It was a lot of work to get the bearings out. I would not want to have to do that whole job again because I cut corners and used a cheap part that failed. I would need to see glowing reviews of the off brand before I would go that way. Bearing failures on N52 are nonexistent outside of eating a serpentine belt or doing something really stupid. The OEM are definitely good to go.
Hmm, I see what you're saying. The reason I want to replace them is because a piston ring needs replacing, so I need to replace all rings. I thought if I'm removing the pistons I might as well change the bearings. Would it be a better decision to reuse all bearings, in correct order of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 12:23 AM   #4
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

If the original bearings are in good shape with no noticeable wear I think it would be wise to reuse them. Not going to be the first guy that has replaced bearings for the hell of it and had an issue down the line, not saying it will happen to you but I probably wouldn't do it unless necessary. You can have a new set at hand and return it if you don't end up needing them
      07-08-2021, 12:27 AM   #5
Celestio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i Sedan

Def don’t do it if it’s not necessary. But if you were to, OEM for sure
Appreciate 0