E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car won’t start after battery went flat

07-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Car won’t start after battery went flat

Cutting a long story short; i was fitting a reverse camera which took longer than expected and in the process, the battery went flat, to around 11.2v.

So I’ve charged up the battery with a noco charger suitable for my battery and it finished charging, now reads 12.7v. But it now won’t start and before it would start fine. The battery is new and was all good before. When starting all I can hear is a click of a relay and then another click and that is it, no crank, nothing else.

I read the codes on inpa and did have one code 43F2 (included the pic), I reset that and it hasn’t come back since, it still wouldn’t start. I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they all were ok on a continuity test. I have also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

When I turn the ignition on the engine light is on, I can’t remember if this stays on until you start the car.

Where should I look next and what could be the problem?

I was reading about the ibs sensor so I may disconnect that and see if it starts disconnected.

Any help is appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Have you tried jumping it from under the bonnet?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
Have you tried jumping it from under the bonnet?
No I haven’t. I was thinking that if the battery is now fully charged and before it was starting fine, that jump starting it wouldn’t make a difference. Do you think I should still try and jump start it?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Don’t suppose any one has any ideas?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

You need to get a volt meter on the battery and check what happens to it when you try to start the car. Standing charge does not equate to the volts the battery can discharge when required for a start. You`ll have to google to get the number it shouldn`t drop below (11.4v?) as i can never remember and just google it myself when ever I need to check a battery.

If it clicks it sounds to me as if the battery doesn`t have the power to start even after you`ve charged it.

Ol0Dom`s suggestion of jump starting is also a great idea as the would pinpoint the battery or the connection from the battery to the starter.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #6
Gregrobin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Tires go flat, batteries die :-)

Agreed to the volt meter check, or jump start.

Or run the battery by a service shop or parts store, and have them check it for you.
      07-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #7
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

I had a battery issue so did the whole multimeter testing, these videos and the description I added may help?

This video is with the faulty battery, the voltages where fine tbh but on random occasions the voltage would just drop on its own

This is one I took today with a new battery

Did you install the reverse camera properly (12v fused relay / 1 to battery, 1 to ground, 1 to reverse and 1 to reverse camera)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
You need to get a volt meter on the battery and check what happens to it when you try to start the car. Standing charge does not equate to the volts the battery can discharge when required for a start. You`ll have to google to get the number it shouldn`t drop below (11.4v?) as i can never remember and just google it myself when ever I need to check a battery.

If it clicks it sounds to me as if the battery doesn`t have the power to start even after you`ve charged it.

Ol0Dom`s suggestion of jump starting is also a great idea as the would pinpoint the battery or the connection from the battery to the starter.
Here is a video I just took showing the voltages, I tried to start it 3 times. Lowest it went down to was 11.97v. https://streamable.com/lpposd

Ok, thanks. Is the best way to do it with a proper jump power pack rather than trying to do it off someone’s car, as I read trying to jump off someone’s car can be bad, especially in BMW’s?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
Tires go flat, batteries die :-)

Agreed to the volt meter check, or jump start.

Or run the battery by a service shop or parts store, and have them check it for you.
Very true. Just surprises me as the batteries only a month old and wouldn’t of thought that it going flat once would kill it completely if it did charge up fine after again and the charger didn’t show any errors.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #10
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
I had a battery issue so did the whole multimeter testing, these videos and the description I added may help?

This video is with the faulty battery, the voltages where fine tbh but on random occasions the voltage would just drop on its own

This is one I took today with a new battery

Did you install the reverse camera properly (12v fused relay / 1 to battery, 1 to ground, 1 to reverse and 1 to reverse camera)
Thank you.

I did wonder if because the voltage went so low that it went into some sort of “protected mode” and I’ve lost comms to modules or something. I don’t know if that’s possible haha.

Not installed like that, no. But it isn’t finished as it isn’t working properly, that could be why it’s not working properly, because it isn’t wired like that. I’ve followed how the instructions provided but it isn’t working properly.

Mine came with a filter circuit relay module that you connect inline with the reverse lights.How I’ve currently got it wired up is +12v switched live wired from fusebox wired to dc power positive, dc power negative into negative of the relay filter circuit (which is connected to the reverse light negative), dc power Jack into camera. Rca then plugs into other end of camera, red wire off of RCA connects to positive of filter circuit relay (which is connected to +12v of reverse light), then other end of RCA connected to “video in” on stereo end and the red wire attached to rca connects to “cam det wire” on my stereo loom. At the minute it works when the ignition is on and you go into an app called “aux”, the camera will show there. But when you go into reverse and the parking sensor screen comes up with “no signal”. I’ve tried adjusting all the format/camera types and can’t get it to work (I have ccc idrive with android unit). Only works when you go into the aux app
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Processing61 View Post
Thank you.

I did wonder if because the voltage went so low that it went into some sort of “protected mode” and I’ve lost comms to modules or something. I don’t know if that’s possible haha.

Not installed like that, no. But it isn’t finished as it isn’t working properly, that could be why it’s not working properly, because it isn’t wired like that. I’ve followed how the instructions provided but it isn’t working properly.

Mine came with a filter circuit relay module that you connect inline with the reverse lights.How I’ve currently got it wired up is +12v switched live wired from fusebox wired to dc power positive, dc power negative into negative of the relay filter circuit (which is connected to the reverse light negative), dc power Jack into camera. Rca then plugs into other end of camera, red wire off of RCA connects to positive of filter circuit relay (which is connected to +12v of reverse light), then other end of RCA connected to “video in” on stereo end and the red wire attached to rca connects to “cam det wire” on my stereo loom. At the minute it works when the ignition is on and you go into an app called “aux”, the camera will show there. But when you go into reverse and the parking sensor screen comes up with “no signal”. I’ve tried adjusting all the format/camera types and can’t get it to work (I have ccc idrive with android unit). Only works when you go into the aux app
You'll have to bare with me while I try to visualise what you've done, when I was trying to compare your wiring to mine wire for wire there are two things I'm not sure is right, first off the red wire on the RCA stereo side is an extention for cars without canbus whereas your would be so I'm not sure that's required? Furthermore is does say "power supply" so if it can in fact take 12v that's another issue that you may be facing (12v supplies from multiple sources) See the photo attached with section B notes

Furthermore, with my relay installed the 12v power supply is very simple, it comes direct from the battery only when the relay switch is detected which in my case is the reverse light, so reverse light on > 12v to camera, reverse light off > 12v cut off from camera. However, you have a 12v supply coming from the junction box but your also feeding the 12v supply from the reverse light if I'm not mistaken? And I'm not entirely sure if that red wire can also receive a 12v supply so that could be a third source in the mix.

With the way it's wired up now, doesn't your 12v junction box supply also join to the 12v reverse light? If so maybe that's what's tripping your car?

Also, try different RCA inputs for the reverse camera to your stereo. Although my head unit is an aftermarket xtrons, I know for sure that some of those labels where really mind boggling and although the label seemed correct it ended up being another, I'd leave the car in reverse and keep plugging into different available yellow coloured RCA's

I'm not entirely sure on your car but the FRM module in particular is very sensitive, if you have a laptop ISTA would be great to have as it shows you a tree with every module (green is no faults, yellow is module with faults, red is no communication/dead) although I would have thought other diagnostic apps would show "no communication possible"
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:33 AM   #12
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You'll have to bare with me while I try to visualise what you've done, when I was trying to compare your wiring to mine wire for wire there are two things I'm not sure is right, first off the red wire on the RCA stereo side is an extention for cars without canbus whereas your would be so I'm not sure that's required? Furthermore is does say "power supply" so if it can in fact take 12v that's another issue that you may be facing (12v supplies from multiple sources) See the photo attached with section B notes

Furthermore, with my relay installed the 12v power supply is very simple, it comes direct from the battery only when the relay switch is detected which in my case is the reverse light, so reverse light on > 12v to camera, reverse light off > 12v cut off from camera. However, you have a 12v supply coming from the junction box but your also feeding the 12v supply from the reverse light if I'm not mistaken? And I'm not entirely sure if that red wire can also receive a 12v supply so that could be a third source in the mix.

With the way it's wired up now, doesn't your 12v junction box supply also join to the 12v reverse light? If so maybe that's what's tripping your car?

Also, try different RCA inputs for the reverse camera to your stereo. Although my head unit is an aftermarket xtrons, I know for sure that some of those labels where really mind boggling and although the label seemed correct it ended up being another, I'd leave the car in reverse and keep plugging into different available yellow coloured RCA's

I'm not entirely sure on your car but the FRM module in particular is very sensitive, if you have a laptop ISTA would be great to have as it shows you a tree with every module (green is no faults, yellow is module with faults, red is no communication/dead) although I would have thought other diagnostic apps would show "no communication possible"
Thanks for the reply.

I may be wrong but I was thinking there wouldn’t be a “cross” between supplies as that red wire off the RCA is on a separate circuit (maybe?) and connects to the trigger wire on my stereo loom, so whenever it seem the voltage, it shows the camera, but the power supply for the camera is actually being used from the 12v switched source from the fusebox, to the dc positive wire, which then plugs into the power supply wire of the camera. But I did think about the can bus too like you said, seeing as I already know it can detect it’s in reverse as when you put it i reverse, the PDC screen comes up and comes out when you take it out of reverse.

The car did start maybe 2/3 times while this was wired up like this and I have disconnected all the wiring for now (tried starting it, didn’t work) just until I can sort the issue with it not starting. Maybe once I’ve figured the no start issue, I will wire it how you have said with a proper relay, to make sure it’s done correctly.

I was doing a bit if reading and some people were saying about the EWS module needing to be reset/re synced, which I think I have managed to do through INPA but still no joy.

Someone else has mentioned that maybe the ignition system may need reprogramming.

Yes, I am in the process of seeing if I can get ISTA D and ISTA P as I’m sure this would make this a little easier and would come in handy in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 03:23 AM   #13
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Processing61 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I may be wrong but I was thinking there wouldn’t be a “cross” between supplies as that red wire off the RCA is on a separate circuit (maybe?) and connects to the trigger wire on my stereo loom, so whenever it seem the voltage, it shows the camera, but the power supply for the camera is actually being used from the 12v switched source from the fusebox, to the dc positive wire, which then plugs into the power supply wire of the camera. But I did think about the can bus too like you said, seeing as I already know it can detect it’s in reverse as when you put it i reverse, the PDC screen comes up and comes out when you take it out of reverse.

The car did start maybe 2/3 times while this was wired up like this and I have disconnected all the wiring for now (tried starting it, didn’t work) just until I can sort the issue with it not starting. Maybe once I’ve figured the no start issue, I will wire it how you have said with a proper relay, to make sure it’s done correctly.

I was doing a bit if reading and some people were saying about the EWS module needing to be reset/re synced, which I think I have managed to do through INPA but still no joy.

Someone else has mentioned that maybe the ignition system may need reprogramming.

Yes, I am in the process of seeing if I can get ISTA D and ISTA P as I’m sure this would make this a little easier and would come in handy in the future.
ISTA+ is nice in the respects that not only does it show and display the faults/module tree in a nice GUI (and all in English) but it can generate a test plan and actually advise what to do for a particular fault including wiring diagrams if need be.

Just incase you wasn't aware, a member on here called J0K3R5 has all the software up for us for free

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ge=6%20license
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #14
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ISTA+ is nice in the respects that not only does it show and display the faults/module tree in a nice GUI (and all in English) but it can generate a test plan and actually advise what to do for a particular fault including wiring diagrams if need be.

Just incase you wasn't aware, a member on here called J0K3R5 has all the software up for us for free

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ge=6%20license
Brilliant thanks man.

I will try and get that up and running and update here if I get any further (or have more questions lol).

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #15
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So i've managed to get ISTA up and running and i'm trying to get familiar with it. However this is what i've found so far (see pictures).

Would any of these faults explain my issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 05:59 AM   #16
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

As far as I'm aware, no.

AUC Sensor is an air quality sensor located drivers side just under bonnet.

Auxiliary water pump - That fails on most BMW's, its an auxiliary water pump separate to the main water pump and provides circulation with just the ignition on so you get warm air for longer with engine off, it can also bleed new coolant and prevent the head from warping if the engine overheated, I believe this is because it prevents hot spots once you turn the engine off and it will continue to circulate the coolant.

IHKA is your climate control module

Road speed signal will be down to a faulty wheel speed sensor, depending on your year that will either be a ABS Reluctor ring or it is embedded into the wheel bearing. It could also just be a faulty sensor.

Diversity antenna is because of your aftermarket head unit I believe

Fan not functioning is in relation to the original head unit I think

Central information and GPS faults are again all to do with the aftermarket head unit.

Can you do a video of the car when you attempt to start it while also displaying the voltage

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 07-18-2021 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #17
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Damn, i thought you had fixed it as you had gone quite for a bit (obvs to get ista+).

Was thinking the other day that I don`t believe in coincidences - You are quite right that a battery going flat shouldn`t cause issues once recharged. But messing with the electrics to install a rear-view camera could!

If you are 100% the battery is holding charge through the attempted start and have tried jump starting using a donor battery, then next step is to undo what you`ve done with the rear-view install. imo
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 02:30 AM   #18
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, no.

AUC Sensor is an air quality sensor located drivers side just under bonnet.

Auxiliary water pump - That fails on most BMW's, its an auxiliary water pump separate to the main water pump and provides circulation with just the ignition on so you get warm air for longer with engine off, it can also bleed new coolant and prevent the head from warping if the engine overheated, I believe this is because it prevents hot spots once you turn the engine off and it will continue to circulate the coolant.

IHKA is your climate control module

Road speed signal will be down to a faulty wheel speed sensor, depending on your year that will either be a ABS Reluctor ring or it is embedded into the wheel bearing. It could also just be a faulty sensor.

Diversity antenna is because of your aftermarket head unit I believe

Fan not functioning is in relation to the original head unit I think

Central information and GPS faults are again all to do with the aftermarket head unit.

Can you do a video of the car when you attempt to start it while also displaying the voltage
Thanks for that reply. They all make sense: Auc sensor is unplugged atm, climate control module has been unplugged and like you said other faults to do with Android head unit. The android unit has its own antenna and doesn’t use the diversity antenna I believe. So the only actual faults it seems are the Auxiliary water pump and the road speed signal. Good to know.

So here is attempting to start with voltage on the terminals of the battery. I have checked voltage on jump/charge points at front to make sure there is no difference between the front and the back. https://streamable.com/j5ugx8

And here is a video of what it does when trying to start https://streamable.com/ld75gj

The above videos are from Tuesday (it still does and has done the same). I’ve checked the battery now and it measures 11.7v and in that vid it was 12.4v. As it finished charging it was measuring just over 13v. Obviously it doesn’t start so I have been trying to start it a fair few times and having the ignition off and on to try and diagnose so I don’t know if that loss would be normal. it really sounds like a power issue. I still need to get access to a 2.0l diesel car or bigger or get a power back jump back to see if it will start like that, which I hopefully will soon.

I’m thinking battery or i did read about an ISN mismatch between cas & dde. I wouldn’t have thought it would be starter but I suppose it could be.could be lots of things lol.

Will write back if I get any further
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 02:40 AM   #19
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Damn, i thought you had fixed it as you had gone quite for a bit (obvs to get ista+).

Was thinking the other day that I don`t believe in coincidences - You are quite right that a battery going flat shouldn`t cause issues once recharged. But messing with the electrics to install a rear-view camera could!

If you are 100% the battery is holding charge through the attempted start and have tried jump starting using a donor battery, then next step is to undo what you`ve done with the rear-view install. imo
Yeah I thought it would be handy to have ISTA for the future anyway even if I didn’t have this problem.

I’m still trying to get access to a 2.0l diesel or bigger to jump start “properly” or I will get a jump start power pack. I thought I’d be looking at other things in between just in case. I do have my old battery which I probably will charge up and see if that works too. I have disconnected all of my wiring for the reverse cam just in case. If it’s not the battery/power then I did read about an ISN mismatch can happen between the CAS and DDE. So I do need to confirm the power/battery first.

Will write back if/when I get any further
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 03:22 AM   #20
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Hmm that's not what I expected to see, furthermore I don't believe it's a battery issue because when you press the start button to actually start the car it should dim the lights if it couldn't draw enough amps. The voltage "seems" as expected, I've got a brand new battery now and with the ignition on it sucks the voltage down to about 12.1/12.2ish but my last faulty battery also seemed fine on the voltage side, it was just on random occasions if come back to 11.6v.

Oh and just so you know, you can use the secret menu to view the voltage from inside the car.

Have you disconnected the reverse camera as well? Going from there if you have, I'd try again and if it still doesn't work maybe look for a fuse because it doesn't even seem to attempt to start, if it did it should dim the lights if the battery wasn't capable and the give you all the common warning lights with a low battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #21
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hmm that's not what I expected to see, furthermore I don't believe it's a battery issue because when you press the start button to actually start the car it should dim the lights if it couldn't draw enough amps. The voltage "seems" as expected, I've got a brand new battery now and with the ignition on it sucks the voltage down to about 12.1/12.2ish but my last faulty battery also seemed fine on the voltage side, it was just on random occasions if come back to 11.6v.

Oh and just so you know, you can use the secret menu to view the voltage from inside the car.

Have you disconnected the reverse camera as well? Going from there if you have, I'd try again and if it still doesn't work maybe look for a fuse because it doesn't even seem to attempt to start, if it did it should dim the lights if the battery wasn't capable and the give you all the common warning lights with a low battery.
Thanks for the reply. I did just try my old battery which was starting the car beforehand and did exactly the same; one click and then another click a couple seconds later.

Yes I did know you could do that, just decided to use the multimeter. So you think knowing that its dropped from around 13v now to 11.6/11.7v (considering I've been trying to start it quite a bit, working on it, diagnosing etc over about a week) that the reading/loss is normal on a new battery.

Yes I have tried removing the camera and trying to start quite a few times, no luck now. I did actually manage to start the car a couple of times while I had the reverse camera installed, but once the battery went completely flat and I recharged it, it hasn't worked since. I did re-charge from the front connection points on the car, not in the boot.

Yes I will look at the fuses as I could well have missed one and the relays I can access.

Getting a little annoying now lol
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #22
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thought I’d do a little update;

Just thought I’d check the starter motor for power with a test light. It looked like two wires going onto one terminal which i thought was the live, one black wire which looked to be ground and then a wire connected to a braided connection on the starter which looked to be the signal/switched live.

I had constant power to the hot terminal, no power to signal wire when ignition off, power to signal wire when ignition on trying to start.

So in terms of power, power is getting there and signal/switched live is only getting it when ignition on trying to start. So seems it could be the starter and worth trying replacing it
Appreciate 0