E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 08 n54 on pure stage 2 dd. Extreme wastegate rattle since install

07-20-2021, 02:45 AM   #1
Daman1702
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 e93

08 n54 on pure stage 2 dd. Extreme wastegate rattle since install

Hey i have a bmw 335i 2008 with pure stage 2 DD turbos. since 500 miles from leaving a verified shop in nyc. it started to have a extremely loud waste gate rattle. ive done every boost line and both solenoids and it continues to rattle worse then my old turbos ever did. Its usually when im rolling down a flat ground or down hill at about 1.5-2.5k rpms coasting or on a deceleration. it will sound like a quarter in a soda can. ive done adjustments from my tuner wedge performance multiple times to no success and done every percent of waste gate rattle fix in mhd tool and still always rattles. also it rattles when i rev in neutral only at 1.5krpm when the rpms drop after letting off the gas. i usually dont hear any rattle when accelerating its only when coasting or on deceleration.
what can i do to fix this issue without having to do a turbo swap?

also havent done any actuator arm adjustmenets yut but it never happens when the door is completely shut.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 06:06 AM   #2
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman1702 View Post
Hey i have a bmw 335i 2008 with pure stage 2 DD turbos. since 500 miles from leaving a verified shop in nyc. it started to have a extremely loud waste gate rattle. ive done every boost line and both solenoids and it continues to rattle worse then my old turbos ever did. Its usually when im rolling down a flat ground or down hill at about 1.5-2.5k rpms coasting or on a deceleration. it will sound like a quarter in a soda can. ive done adjustments from my tuner wedge performance multiple times to no success and done every percent of waste gate rattle fix in mhd tool and still always rattles. also it rattles when i rev in neutral only at 1.5krpm when the rpms drop after letting off the gas. i usually dont hear any rattle when accelerating its only when coasting or on deceleration.

also havent done any actuator arm adjustmenets yut but it never happens when the door is completely shut.

Turn off Wastegate rattle fix.

Try adjusting the wastegate actuator arms. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably a Turbo out job.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Turn off Wastegate rattle fix.

Try adjusting the wastegate actuator arms. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably a Turbo out job.
This, 100%.
That's all you got my friend. I've owned my current car for 6 years and everything I've read about these cars and the turbos leads to this "fix". I had bad wastegate rattle on my previous 335i but the turbos were under warranty at the time. Talk about hitting the jackpot. BMW replaced everything. My experience with the dealership was amazing. I've since found a independent mechanic that does equal or better work for better prices. Good luck man.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 07-20-2021 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
If I had to guess, shop did not verify wastegate position before install. You're supposed to ensure they're seated at 6in/hg and fully closed at 7, if not then you need to adjust the arm. Skipping this step can lead to a lose wastegate arm which can in turn wear out the actuator diaphragm faster than you'd expect.

Have you checked to make sure the downpipes are not hitting the subframe or the heat shield is properly in place?
      07-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #5
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24v turbo e30, e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
Have you checked to make sure the downpipes are not hitting the subframe or the heat shield is properly in place?
This is absolutely something to look for. Something touching can definitely sounds like wastegate rattle.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I’d guess either it’s the downpipes hitting the subframe or they didn’t correctly adjust your wastgates.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      12-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
slowest90@kc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

[QUOTE=Daman1702;27822913]Hey i have a bmw 335i 2008 with pure stage 2 DD turbos. since 500 miles from leaving a verified shop in nyc. it started to have a extremely loud waste gate rattle. ive done every boost line and both solenoids and it continues to rattle worse then my old turbos ever did. Its usually when im rolling down a flat ground or down hill at about 1.5-2.5k rpms coasting or on a deceleration. it will sound like a quarter in a soda can. ive done adjustments from my tuner wedge performance multiple times to no success and done every percent of waste gate rattle fix in mhd tool and still always rattles. also it rattles when i rev in neutral only at 1.5krpm when the rpms drop after letting off the gas. i usually dont hear any rattle when accelerating its only when coasting or on deceleration.

Did you ever fix the rattle? I’m having the same issue. Pure stage 2 600s installed about a year ago, as long as I can remember I’ve had a slight rattle on light acceleration. Now it’s progressively gets worse not only on light acceleration but very bad on deceleration, every time I let off the gas! The rear turbo wastegate actuator is definitely the issue. Very lose, I can shake it and hear the same rattle as I do when driving. Also can easily open close the wastegate into the diaphragm. Which is oddly rusted. Also have an oil leak which looks like it’s coming from the middle of the turbo (viewed under the car)
Appreciate 0