E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hesitation after changing vanos solenoids

07-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #1
gym_carrey
There's always something.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Hesitation after changing vanos solenoids

Quick Question here. E90 328i
I changed my vanos solenoids just out of maintenance. Had no errors no nothing before it. Vaico solenoids ordered from rock auto.

I installed the new ones and started the car. The rpm's were running back and forth for a couple of seconds but when the engine idled, everything sounded perfect.

I went for a quick drive and stepped on the accelerator ever so slightly but it hesitated and jumped the rpms quick. I turned back around to go home before it would leave me stranded somewhere.

Just checked for errors via INPA and nothing. I did let the engine idle for at least 10 minutes.

Just want your opinion, is that normal after changing solenoids? Shall i just drive for a while and it'll adjust themselves or is it something else?
TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #2
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Curious on this one since I planned to do mine preventatively as well
      07-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
E92fanboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I had this problem with a friends car, it turned out to be the off brand vanos solenoids. We returned them for Genuine BMW vanos solenoids and the problem went away.

Last edited by E92fanboy; 07-23-2021 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: grammar correction
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Those Vaico's solenoids are trash, put the OEs back in it and order the correct ones from FCP, Dealer or your location of choice.
Appreciate 1
Bobh5952.00
      07-23-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Yes I too wonder if Vaicos were the problem.

Try putting the originals back, but swap locations.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

X2 Vaico vanos valves are crap.

Watched the little foxwell datalogger after installing a set and they would hunt and peck up and down on the advance.
      07-24-2021, 01:50 AM   #7
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
I changed my vanos solenoids just out of maintenance. Had no errors no nothing before it
If ain't broke, don't fix it!
Especially for things that won't leave you stranded or cause damage when they fail.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      07-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

^ Even as someone who loves to fix shit that isn’t broken (or that’s only marginally broken), I have to agree here. I’m sure there have been others, but this is the first time I’ve heard of someone preemptively replacing their VANOS solenoids.

Put old ones back in and leave them until you need to replace them. I have over 330k kms on mine and they’re fine.
      07-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #9
Glene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Just want your opinion, is that normal after changing solenoids? Shall i just drive for a while and it'll adjust themselves or is it something else?
TIA[/QUOTE]

Clean the old solenoids with brake cleaners and put them back. No need to buy new solenoids.
Appreciate 1
-claw-4.50
      08-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
BUMMER1
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 3.0si 2001 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiii_manyu View Post
I changed my vanos solenoids just out of maintenance. Had no errors no nothing before it. Vaico solenoids ordered from rock auto.

I installed the new ones and started the car. The rpm's were running back and forth for a couple of seconds but when the engine idled, everything sounded perfect.

I went for a quick drive and stepped on the accelerator ever so slightly but it hesitated and jumped the rpms quick. I turned back around to go home before it would leave me stranded somewhere.

Just checked for errors via INPA and nothing. I did let the engine idle for at least 10 minutes.

TIA
I had similar symptoms with fault code 2A87 (exhaust vanos, mechanism failure).

I made the HUGE MISTAKE of buying non-oem replacement parts (which I do quite frequently, - genetic fault of my male dna).

My Variable Valve Timing Solenoids were supposed to be manufactured in Germany (just not Bosch or OEM). I think it is a small quiet village named "Germany"............province of People's Republic of China!

No Change in performance or fault codes.

Finally in frustration, I rinsed the old one's in gasoline, sprayed brake cleaner inside both of them and used my air compressor to give a good blowing out...... (stay focused here).

Problem solved, runs perfect. This took me about a year to solve as most of the code faults were soft failures (it didn't show up on "check engine light".......and I am a slow learner!

Hopefully, you still kept them and if you clean them and put back in, they should last another 250,000 miles.

My maintenance schedule goes like this........If I insert ignition key and the car both starts AND drives, I just change oil and filter around 8,000 miles and save the other money for my bad habits.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #11
gym_carrey
There's always something.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMER1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiii_manyu View Post

TIA
I had similar symptoms with fault code 2A87 (exhaust vanos, mechanism failure).

I made the HUGE MISTAKE of buying non-oem replacement parts (which I do quite frequently, - genetic fault of my male dna).

My Variable Valve Timing Solenoids were supposed to be manufactured in Germany (just not Bosch or OEM). I think it is a small quiet village named "Germany"............province of People's Republic of China!

No Change in performance or fault codes.

Finally in frustration, I rinsed the old one's in gasoline, sprayed brake cleaner inside both of them and used my air compressor to give a good blowing out...... (stay focused here).

Problem solved, runs perfect. This took me about a year to solve as most of the code faults were soft failures (it didn't show up on "check engine light".......and I am a slow learner!

Hopefully, you still kept them and if you clean them and put back in, they should last another 250,000 miles.

My maintenance schedule goes like this........If I insert ignition key and the car both starts AND drives, I just change oil and filter around 8,000 miles and save the other money for my bad habits.
Well sorry I forgot to update/close this thread.

It was the vaico solenoids that were the issue.
I installed oem's after cleaning them and everything was back to square.

Well it was preventive maintenance as I did get 2A87 code once which freaked me out slightly. However, after cleaning the solenoids I never had that code come back.

Well Moral of the story here is to buy OEM solenoids and not just any junk to save a buck here and there.

Pic for you to see the difference in size and a strange design up front. Left is Vaico. Right is OEM
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #12
Tomtomc23
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i x drive n55 e92 2013

I got 2 codes a limp engine 2d55 and 2fe1

Help I flushed my oil Bc somone put wrong oil in it when I got it now only codes I'm getting is 2d55 and 2fe1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtomc23 View Post
Help I flushed my oil Bc somone put wrong oil in it when I got it now only codes I'm getting is 2d55 and 2fe1
What do you mean by someone put in the wrong oil?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #14
Tomtomc23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Quote:
What do you mean by someone put in the wrong oil?
So what happen was I had oil in my garage idk if my dad put something in it or water got into it but I putting oil in car and it started shaking bag so turned it off and flushed out oil and refilled it with my favorite oil liu molly 5w40 and now engin seem fine I'm just stuck in limp mode what I think it is I did not clean out Solenoids after Flush I'm assuming what ever was in the oil that fucked my engine had gotten to the solinoids so ima clean solinoids and hopefully that fixes it gotta got to bmw Monday
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #15
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what happen was I had oil in my garage idk if my dad put something in it or water got into it but I putting oil in car and it started shaking bag so turned it off and flushed out oil and refilled it with my favorite oil liu molly 5w40 and now engin seem fine I'm just stuck in limp mode what I think it is I did not clean out Solenoids after Flush I'm assuming what ever was in the oil that fucked my engine had gotten to the solinoids so ima clean solinoids and hopefully that fixes it gotta got to bmw Monday
uhh seriously? Sounds like you have may some pretty solid internal damage at this point. Not sure cleaning the solenoid is going to help you at all. Highly likely the cam ledges are damage and won't be able to be controlled properly anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #16
Tomtomc23
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
uhh seriously? Sounds like you have may some pretty solid internal damage at this point. Not sure cleaning the solenoid is going to help you at all. Highly likely the cam ledges are damage and won't be able to be controlled properly anymore.
Yea I'm pretty upset I'm hoping for the best it's in limp mod and throw the only 2 codes and engine did not run for long after finding out engine sounds good just in limp mod hopeing for the best
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
Tomtomc23
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea I'm pretty upset I'm hoping for the best it's in limp mod and throw the only 2 codes and engine did not run for long after finding out engine sounds good just in limp mod hopeing for the best
Expensive fix I know the part is like 500
Appreciate 0