E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Headers or BMW Performance Exhaust (PE)

View Poll Results: Which one to get?
Headers 23 69.70%
BMW PE 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

10-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Headers or BMW Performance Exhaust (PE)

What to get? AA Headers or BMW Performance Exhaust (PE)? Both are about same price. Can only pick one for now.

I love PE sound, but on the other hand, I want more power.

Torn...

UPDATE:
I purchased headers and the tune. Headers will be installed in late December.

Last edited by W37V; 10-21-2015 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #2
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Izzzz you cray?! Headers!!

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
What to get? AA Headers or BMW Performance Exhaust (PE)? Both are about same price. Can only pick one for now.

I love PE sound, but on the other hand, I want more power.

Torn...
If you get the header I'd leave the rest of the exhaust stock, unless you like loud. The PE is only good for three or four horsepower while the catless headers, with a tune should provide about 30 horsepower.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

I don't even think the PE adds power, but headera are the obvious choice here.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
what if the headers weren't catless....ie afe? would that change your answers?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

I never heard headers in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Headers.. With stock exhaust it should stay relatively quiet. The pe adds sound but nothing else. Its like a factory BMW fart can
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Headers.. With stock exhaust it should stay relatively quiet. The pe adds sound but nothing else. Its like a factory BMW fart can
Hey, be nice, the PE is far from a fart can. . . unless you install headers.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
I have the AFE catted headers and knowing what I know now with the PE sitting on my garage floor, I would still do the catted headers and leave the rest of the exhaust stock; though I would probably do a secondary cat delete experiment and evaluate the sound. By the way, my mid pipes are sitting next to my PE on the garage floor. Given that exhaust sound likes and dislikes are very subjective, there is no right or wrong answer here.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Is your midpipes + PE Y pipe for sale? (I have no use for the muffler) just curious...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Is your midpipes + PE Y pipe for sale? (I have no use for the muffler) just curious...
Given that I installed the mid pipes on my e92 and had to cut a few inches off to do so, they are probably too short now for your e90. I've toyed with the idea of pairing my Dinan Y pipe with the PE muffler, if I do this I'd offer the PE Y pipe for sale.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs
Still headers.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
Hey, be nice, the PE is far from a fart can. . . unless you install headers.
Hey, I resemble that remark! Oh wait yeah I do. Dammit.

But it's a killer sounding combo, doesn't really sound like a fartcan muffler, I think.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Is there any combination where I can have headers and nice deep throaty exhaust sound?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #15
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
I have the AFE catted headers and knowing what I know now with the PE sitting on my garage floor, I would still do the catted headers and leave the rest of the exhaust stock; though I would probably do a secondary cat delete experiment and evaluate the sound. By the way, my mid pipes are sitting next to my PE on the garage floor. Given that exhaust sound likes and dislikes are very subjective, there is no right or wrong answer here.
Thanks. Good to know the catted headers are still a worthwhile mod. I'm assuming your endorsement is more related to performance than sound?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
GSTiDDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328XI

That's what she gives!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #17
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Thanks. Good to know the catted headers are still a worthwhile mod. I'm assuming your endorsement is more related to performance than sound?
Yes, there was a noticeable improvement in performance with the AFE catted headers. I truly liked the way the PE sounded with the stock exhaust, it was tame under normal driving conditions but had a nice tone under hard acceleration. Please keep in mind I never intended to go beyond the PE but this forum can sometimes be a bad influence on you. The chronological order of my exhaust experiment (which spanned about one year) went something like this:

Started with a stock exhaust and it was way to quiet.

Installed the PE and loved the way it sounded, especially under hard acceleration.

Removed the secondary cats and installed the mid pipes, the exhaust tone became right on the cusp of being too loud for me. I did this in an attempt to pick up a few additional horsepower.

Had the AFE catted headers installed and in my opinion the exhaust became obnoxiously loud, even under normal driving conditions.

Had 9 inch resonators installed on the mid pipes and they did very little to quiet down the exhaust.

Reinstalled the secondary cats and that toned the exhaust down enough to drive the car but it was obnoxiously loud under hard acceleration and in my opinion it was not even a cool sounding loud.

Researched exhaust options, as I did not keep my stock exhaust; if I had I would have reinstalled it. I even contemplated buying a used stock exhaust system.

Bought the Dinan exhaust, which helped to quiet things down but it was still a bit too loud for my liking.

I installed a baffle inside the single pipe portion of the Dinan Y pipe, which got me to were I am at now.

Again an acceptable exhaust tone is a very subjective thing and there are varying opinions on this. If I could mimic the exhaust tone of the PE with the catted headers, I'd be in hog heaven.
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      10-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #18
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

@Tom Droze, how does the dinan sound compared to the PE? Louder? I never really found too many YouTube videos of the dinan. It is quite pricier than the PE though.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #19
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
@Tom Droze, how does the dinan sound compared to the PE? Louder? I never really found too many YouTube videos of the dinan. It is quite pricier than the PE though.
I never had the Dinan installed with the stock exhaust manifolds, so I don't have that comparison. With the AFE catted HEADERS the Dinan exhaust was quieter as compared to the PE. From a build quality standpoint there is no comparison the PE muffler wins hands down. I do like the Dinan Y pipe better though. With stock exhaust manifolds I would chose the PE over the Dinan every day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
Yes, there was a noticeable improvement in performance with the AFE catted headers. I truly liked the way the PE sounded with the stock exhaust, it was tame under normal driving conditions but had a nice tone under hard acceleration. Please keep in mind I never intended to go beyond the PE but this forum can sometimes be a bad influence on you. The chronological order of my exhaust experiment (which spanned about one year) went something like this:

Started with a stock exhaust and it was way to quiet.

Installed the PE and loved the way it sounded, especially under hard acceleration.

Removed the secondary cats and installed the mid pipes, the exhaust tone became right on the cusp of being too loud for me. I did this in an attempt to pick up a few additional horsepower.

Had the AFE catted headers installed and in my opinion the exhaust became obnoxiously loud, even under normal driving conditions.

Had 9 inch resonators installed on the mid pipes and they did very little to quiet down the exhaust.

Reinstalled the secondary cats and that toned the exhaust down enough to drive the car but it was obnoxiously loud under hard acceleration and in my opinion it was not even a cool sounding loud.

Researched exhaust options, as I did not keep my stock exhaust; if I had I would have reinstalled it. I even contemplated buying a used stock exhaust system.

Bought the Dinan exhaust, which helped to quiet things down but it was still a bit too loud for my liking.

I installed a baffle inside the single pipe portion of the Dinan Y pipe, which got me to were I am at now.

Again an acceptable exhaust tone is a very subjective thing and there are varying opinions on this. If I could mimic the exhaust tone of the PE with the catted headers, I'd be in hog heaven.
thats what i am experiencing with afe header and PE, with secondary delete
sound level gone through the roof. good thing with slightly denser n51 secondary, i was able to quiet it down to where it sounded good.

trouble is denser secondary might rob few more hp then n52, since you tried mid resonator, any other suggestion without removing the PE?
      10-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #21
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650
Dinan exhaust is deeper and louder. If paired with headers it will sound like a small booom every morning and anything above 2K rpm the dead will poke their heads up
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      10-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #22
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTiDDY
That's what she gives!
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0