E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 328i Coilovers - worth it?

12-15-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
Bahooki
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
E92 328i Coilovers - worth it?

Yes, I've searched and read through multiple pages of people asking about coilovers. That being said, I imagine the first post will still be a link to a thread I somehow missed.

My question isn't about what to buy exactly, as much as it is about if it's truly worth it. I've read all around about how coilovers aren't an extremely useful mod for a street driven car, even with a lot spirited driving. That being said, I took Matt Farah's advice and invested in Michelin Pilot Super Sport (a decision I fully back. I only have a 328i, but I'm not sure if it's actually possible to break these things loose in the dry, and it's definitely not easy to break them loose in the rain.) These tires have really added a lot to my driving experience (coming from semi bald Bridgestone Potenza RFT's), and I'm totally happy with them. That being said, of course I'm looking into the future. Are coilovers actually worth the purchase? BMW obviously puts a lot of time and money into making a quality suspension, so will buying coilovers actually improve on that design? Lowness isn't really a priority of mine. While I'm fine with my car inherently going a bit lower with coilovers, I think the height looks fine as it is and offers decent clearance. And if coilovers will actually improve my experience, what is the "price threshold" at when they become better? I ask because there are $750 Megans and then there are $10,000 KW v3 Clubsports.

While I don't track the car and never will, I do a lot of 'sporty' driving. Almost every day after class I find the longest back road I can and run it a couple of times. I'm not pushing my car to the edge, but I'm definitely givin' it the beans. (Is that still hip to say?)

Anywho, I'm open to everything. From "why tha hell did u get 328 u idiot 335 is better performince mashine" to "ur a spoiled brat". I'm just a kid trying to learn more, so have at me.

Last edited by Bahooki; 12-15-2015 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: clarified title
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #2
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Get a set of Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs, sounds like that is all you need for your intended use.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #3
Bahooki
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Get a set of Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs, sounds like that is all you need for your intended use.
ECS has that kit for $1000, so would you find that better than coilovers for a similar price?

I love your e92, by the way.

Last edited by Bahooki; 12-15-2015 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 03:06 AM   #4
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahooki View Post
ECS has that kit for $1000, so would you find that better than coilovers for a similar price?
In that price range, I think you will find the Koni yellows and the H&R sport springs will out perform the lower end coilovers you are looking at. Additionally, if you want increased handling after you install the Koni yellow shocks and H&R sport springs, I recommend the M3 front control arms and the M3 (e93) 28 MM front sway bar. I would also recommend (based on cost and ease of install) the Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts. By the way, smart move on doing the tires first.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #5
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I'm pretty similar to you (although mine is a 335) and I went with H&R sport springs. I wish I had done it sooner. It looks so much better and wasn't too expensive. I have a video on it somewhere on my channel.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I'm pretty similar to you (although mine is a 335) and I went with H&R sport springs. I wish I had done it sooner. It looks so much better and wasn't too expensive. I have a video on it somewhere on my channel.
isnt only changing the springs super uncomfortable and specially the h and r compared to oem ?
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Bahooki
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
isnt only changing the springs super uncomfortable and specially the h and r compared to oem ?
I think it just puts extra wear on the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Bahooki
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
In that price range, I think you will find the Koni yellows and the H&R sport springs will out perform the lower end coilovers you are looking at. Additionally, if you want increased handling after you install the Koni yellow shocks and H&R sport springs, I recommend the M3 front control arms and the M3 (e93) 28 MM front sway bar. I would also recommend (based on cost and ease of install) the Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts. By the way, smart move on doing the tires first.
Alright, thanks. That definitely clears it up. I've never really known if shocks & springs would improve my performance like coilers or were more just for lowering the car on more a budget.

I had been looking at the control arms. I'm glad to see that's also a valid option... I'll definitely be looking at those down the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Bahooki
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay, thanks. I'll definitely take a look at that this afternoon. I'm hoping it's an install I can do with my mediocre ability
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahooki
Quote:
Okay, thanks. I'll definitely take a look at that this afternoon. I'm hoping it's an install I can do with my mediocre ability
I didn't do it myself as I had no clue how. If you can do it, that would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #11
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahooki View Post
rent a spring compressor for free from autozone, it can be done in 5 hours by a novice. just make sure you get shocks too.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

coilovers are still a benefit on street cars... you can adjust your car's height, and the damping depending on the coils you get... is it overkill for most? perhaps.. but coils are very flexible, where springs are what they are. Many running aggressive wheels use coils so they can dial in their suspension exactly.

With that said, springs and struts would be fine for your use... if I ever lowered my car, I would go with springs/struts too unless I got a really good deal on coils. Coils are awesome, but unless you plan on actually adjusting them the added features are coils aren't always worth the money.
      12-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Bahooki
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
coilovers are still a benefit on street cars... you can adjust your car's height, and the damping depending on the coils you get... is it overkill for most? perhaps.. but coils are very flexible, where springs are what they are. Many running aggressive wheels use coils so they can dial in their suspension exactly.

With that said, springs and struts would be fine for your use... if I ever lowered my car, I would go with springs/struts too unless I got a really good deal on coils. Coils are awesome, but unless you plan on actually adjusting them the added features are coils aren't always worth the money.
Adjustability would be nice, but I never plan on changing my wheels to anything more aggressive so I think I'm safe in that regard. I'm definitely leaning towards spring and struts now, though. It seems to be worthwhile purchase for my use.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Bahooki,

Here's an alternative you might consider: Instead of upgrading the suspension, consider going to one or more of the BMWCCA driving events. There are several reasons why this might be a good idea. First, your car's suspension, as you noted, is already quite good, and you've got excellent tires.

Second, the suspension upgrades would give you flatter cornering and a more responsive feel, but they would also make the ride significantly harsher (which would be a big or little issue, depending on the quality of the roads in your area).

Third, and most important, the driving events would give you a safe environment to really push your car and hone your skills--and without fear of running into trees, dogs, kids, or the police! These skills would transfer to your daily driving as well and give you excellent "muscle memory" reactions for things like skid control, off-road recovery, etc.

Fourth, if approached judiciously, the driving events don't add much wear and tear to your car. You'll take some life out of the tires and brake pads, but the engine, transmission, differential, suspension, and steering won't mind. (Just stay on track!)

Fifth and finally, I suspect you would find that $500 spent on a driving event would buy you far more satisfaction and driving fun than two or three times that amount spent on a moderate suspension upgrade.

Just my two cents. Let us know what you end up doing!

Rick F.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #15
Bahooki
Private
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Bahooki,

Here's an alternative you might consider: Instead of upgrading the suspension, consider going to one or more of the BMWCCA driving events. There are several reasons why this might be a good idea. First, your car's suspension, as you noted, is already quite good, and you've got excellent tires.

Second, the suspension upgrades would give you flatter cornering and a more responsive feel, but they would also make the ride significantly harsher (which would be a big or little issue, depending on the quality of the roads in your area).

Third, and most important, the driving events would give you a safe environment to really push your car and hone your skills--and without fear of running into trees, dogs, kids, or the police! These skills would transfer to your daily driving as well and give you excellent "muscle memory" reactions for things like skid control, off-road recovery, etc.

Fourth, if approached judiciously, the driving events don't add much wear and tear to your car. You'll take some life out of the tires and brake pads, but the engine, transmission, differential, suspension, and steering won't mind. (Just stay on track!)

Fifth and finally, I suspect you would find that $500 spent on a driving event would buy you far more satisfaction and driving fun than two or three times that amount spent on a moderate suspension upgrade.

Just my two cents. Let us know what you end up doing!

Rick F.
I had actually never thought about that. Thanks for the insight, Rick. I've seen the BMWCCA events around on the internet, but never really thought about it. I actually did the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience when it came to Seattle, and that was a lot of fun. I'd really like to be able to do it in my car, so I'm going to look more into that.
Appreciate 0