E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MY N53 (NOX, Injectors, rough run, sooty exhaust) Is running badly how do I diagnose

11-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #331
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: bmw330i e91 lci/ n53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranrobo View Post
That's a bit worrying. Mines is working well but I've only had it fitted for less than 100 miles so far.

It seems pretty well build to be honest, and yeah it is a Bosch sensor that it uses. Mostly everyone else who I've spoke to that fitted a NOXEM haven't had any issues at all.
I wish you more luck with it...I bet you do not want to experience the customer service level of these "profs" when you make a claim...
Perhaps they just sell a lower quality to central european consumers...and think that we shall be happy with it
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #332
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
New sensors are available for the oem nox sensor too, apparrntly. Ive read of people in germany having success via that route.
just try to ask those people in Germany how long has the success persisted...
I guess you mean the probes/sensors which are widely offered at Aliexpress ( I saw them also on German ebay...offered by chinese sounding sellers...but they currently dissapeared). Although I am very flexible with experimenting on my car I would not go this route
By the way...if you want to destroy your n53 there are also injectors available at Aliexpress...I have already heard abou a cost saving n53 owner who had a Black Friday thanks to those
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #333
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirka330i View Post
just try to ask those people in Germany how long has the success persisted...
I guess you mean the probes/sensors which are widely offered at Aliexpress ( I saw them also on German ebay...offered by chinese sounding sellers...but they currently dissapeared). Although I am very flexible with experimenting on my car I would not go this route
By the way...if you want to destroy your n53 there are also injectors available at Aliexpress...I have already heard abou a cost saving n53 owner who had a Black Friday thanks to those
Not aliexpress. The probe is an 8 wire NGK (iirc?) and can be bought separatrly. They were cutting the old probe off and attaching the new one. Will see if i can dig out the link.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #334
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Not aliexpress. The probe is an 8 wire NGK (iirc?) and can be bought separatrly. They were cutting the old probe off and attaching the new one. Will see if i can dig out the link.
well, we shall see
but I am 99% sure that NGK does not sell their nox probes to the consumer
and also- there are fake NGK nox probes on the market- you can recognize them by comparing with original- one has the ngk logo on the body laser printed radially. the other one axially...see the picture of the original...and always compare!
Attached Images

Last edited by jirka330i; 11-14-2020 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #335
kieranrobo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 330i

Quote:
I wish you more luck with it...I bet you do not want to experience the customer service level of these "profs" when you make a claim...
Perhaps they just sell a lower quality to central european consumers...and think that we shall be happy with it
No, I've definitely experienced the same crap customer service

I try to give them a break because English obviously isn't their first language, but any time I've emailed them I've mostly got a lot of rubbish back. Had to resolve a couple of issues myself because I couldn't be bothered trying to explain myself to them or make them believe me.

I certainly hope I don't have to make use of the warranty in the future!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #336
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

you guys talking about bimmerprofs? ive emailed them a few times and been impressed with their replies, not actually bought anything from them yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #337
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranrobo View Post
No, I've definitely experienced the same crap customer service

I try to give them a break because English obviously isn't their first language, but any time I've emailed them I've mostly got a lot of rubbish back. Had to resolve a couple of issues myself because I couldn't be bothered trying to explain myself to them or make them believe me.

I certainly hope I don't have to make use of the warranty in the future!
Rubbish is the fair description of my experience as well...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #338
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
you guys talking about bimmerprofs? ive emailed them a few times and been impressed with their replies, not actually bought anything from them yet.

yep...you are still in the Level 1- Marketing wash out....wait what will happen when you purchase and need something...that is Level 3- Pay and fu.k off

Last edited by jirka330i; 11-16-2020 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #339
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yep...you are still in the Level 1- Marketing wash out....wait what will happen when you purchase and need something...that Level 3- Pay and fu.k off
haha, noted. Glad i stumped up £400 for the original nox now!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #340
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
haha, noted. Glad i stumped up £400 for the original nox now!
well...£400 is definitely less than a sum of my own costs with noxem up to now...not taking into account my time...

also...if I had original nox exchanged by bmw garage (they have about 20% discounts for cars above 10 years here) I would pay about gbp 450 (that time in mid 2019...since nox is now bit more expensive) and if something went wrong within X months the claim/ exchange would be definitely easier with a chance of free replacement car; when I claimed noxem and requested them to cover aditional costs I had with the failed noxem they refused...and when I told them that I am dissapointed and would share that experience they responded that I was put on the black list for any future orders/claims (I guess that is customer service Level 5)...the same happened to the guy with probe failing within 2years...

my learning from that experience is to always calculate upftront...for risks and potential aditional costs when purchasing something experimental

Last edited by jirka330i; 11-16-2020 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:59 AM   #341
Hxm99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E93

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 4 series conve ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
So I have had my 325I E91 LCI for a couple of years and I like maintaining it myself, it quite a complex beast so here's the outcome of lessons I've learned along the way.
This is relevant to when its not running properly, it may have rough idle particularly when cold, has an excessively sooty exhaust or you suspect leaky injectors etc.

N.B. If your buying one the sooty exhaust is your first "tell" that theres a problem.

When I got misfire codes I tried the old school swap the coils around etc, if you car was running fine but then start with, but the symptoms start happening on cold starts. I hope this can help you can quickly diagnose the problem.

Firstly you need to equip yourself with INPA which is the BMW diagnostic tool, it also worth upgrading to the 2.023 loader:
https://bimmerprofs.com/msd80-loader-2-023/

With INPA always clear Short Term (F4/F1) and long term/history memory codes(F4/F3) IN THE DME menus. Don't forget to clear the History particularly with NOX errors!

These are the common problems:

- You have a sooty exhaust
- You have rough idle on cold start for a couple of minutes and then clears and works normally
- When the injectors leak more you will have misfire codes etc
- When they are leaking badly you have CEL lights on cold startup that clear on 2nd start after 2 minutes.
- You probably also have NOX errors, NOX issues won't normally cause rough running and certainly won't cause the cold start CEL light. However Nox sensors die quickly when the injectors start to leak and can in my experience be changed and then fail in a short order because the Injectors are leaking, so check you injectors first!
- High oil consumption, most likely PCV issues or a leaky rocker cover.

Checking for Injector issues:

Here's what you do:

- Let the car sit over night
- Pull the plugs, if you can smell fuel and the plug looks wet (not oil but petrol) then you have identified a leaky injector

Tools:

Spark Plug Tool:
You will also need a 12mm thin wall spark plug spanner 3/8" with an articulating head, This is because the plugs are at 5 degree angles to the bore of plug aperture. However Laser do a cheap tool on Amazon at £9;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spark Plug Torque : 23NM +-3
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-plugs/5rctKot

So you have leaky injectors:

Change all 6 injectors to revision 11 (revision11 are not compatible with other revs, some say per bank however I personally believe it better to do it right first time and bargain hunt to get the price down), also make sure you replace the decoupling rings (the little metal ring with 3 prongs on the injector).

Where to buy stuff at discount whilst still getting a warranty:

- At the moment Merlin Diesel Systems are the cheapest business seller, they will do 150£ per injector on Make me an offer (eBay), if you are lucky you can also combine this with a eBay 10% off day so £135ea.

- You can buy the decoupling rings from Harry Fairborn or Cotswold deliver in set of 6 for £42, pn 13537564751 x 6

- You will want 6 spark plugs, at the moment AutoDoc seem to be the cheapest at circa 6.50ea
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ngk/636500

- Depending in the age/condition of you coils you may want to change , there was a BMW recall in 2012 so you may be able to get a free set. DELPHI are OEM for the new rev coils
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/delphi/7908929

Injectors:

Tools:

To install the injectors I'd recommend buying a 14mm Common rail diesel tool - about £8 for the "Mercedes" one on Amazon (they are generic) and this will allow you to torque the lines rather than half ass it... Remember to grease the lines with transmission oil as per the TIS.

14MM Common Rail socket tool:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the TIS: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-lines/4N5n5Ly

Torques:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-lines/5lzDB5f

Before installing the new injectors, make sure you use you old injectors as a "BORE CLEANING TOOL", in essence pull the injectors up and downing their position, in my case 1-5 were easy to do and 6 had a bunch of deposits stopping it slide easily out and in, also clean the injector to remove scudge.
The injectors should smoothly click into place with hand force, make sure they do this before you uncap your new injectors as the PTFE seal will swell up! Do not use the bracet as tool to lever on the injectors, most likely you still have a smudge build up you risk damaging the ptfe seal and inturn recking your cylinder head.

If you have a really stuck injector a slide hammer will be required i did mine with a conventional body shop one (Clarke 9 piece kit for £20 will do) on the right hand side of the body, or there is a special tool that Laser make for the job.

Slide hammer (proper tool)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Petro...53.m1438.l2649

I preferred to remove the spark plugs and put the coils back in or tape up (to stop contamination) before I try and take out the injectors, this removes the air lock!

Remember to write down the 2 x 3 digit codes on the left side of each injector, these are required for coding.

Additionally you need to code the injectors and clear the adaptations : https://bimmerprofs.com/not-encode-injectors/

Don't forgot to clear the adaptations and go through the process to setup again - its makes a big difference..

Finally if you are using 2nd hand parts or have pulled your injectors you need new PTFE seals which are about £1.60 ea from H.B. or Cotswold, in addition you also need the following special tools, here is the cheapest place:

https://www.xxl-automotive.de/Spezia...0::162451.html

NOX Problems:

So injectors are fixed/ok, now on to NOX problems:

Firstly check if you car runs stratified, if it does and does so reliably then all is good.

Checking to see if your car runs stratified: https://bimmerprofs.com/n43n53-operation-modes-check/

This is also the reason why you may have a sooty exhaust, because you maybe are stuck in Homogen mode which is essentially a LIMP mode with over-fuelling.

If you car doesn't run stratified its probably down to faulty NOX sensor or NOX cat (an ageing Cat is the common on >80k), Check for NOX errors in INPA.

If you see NOX CAT Ageing then you NOX Cat is at the end of useful life circa 80K.

Your OPTIONS:

So you have a car with Less than 80K miles:

1. New BMW Nox sensor about £400
2. Replacement NOX probe 8 wire from the NOX shop £160 https://www.nox-sensor.shop/shop/nox...uct-6697701859

More than 80k miles, I don't want to worry about my NOX cat Ageing issues now or in the future:
3. Bimmerproffs NOXEM emulated about £320, great if you car has 80K miles+ and/or you want to work regardless of the ageing of NOX CAT

I'd like my 325i to be more powerful and I'd rather not worry about NOX system like Bimmerproffs solution:

4. Remap of 325i or 330I with NOX coded out £250, Maptech and ProMap, if you have a 325I this will make a big performance gain i.e. 265BHP and 45NM increase http://www.map-tech.co.uk/your-car.htm?car=674

Personally I'd recommend option 4, I used Maptech..

PCV problems:

- High oil conceptions
- Whistling!

Finally, Check your PCV valve, in fact if your car has a 100K miles then just replace it, they don't last forever.

- the traditional test is to put your finger over the breather hold on the PCV (round cap at back of rocker cover) - if it whistles and is sucking then the diaphragm is knackered.

Some good instructions here:

https://vanos-bmw.com/product/111275...53-11127548196
Options:
1. New valve Cover - About £400
2. New Diaphragm from Ebay £30.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Membrane-...53.m1438.l2649

3. If you need it in a hurry then Metzger N52 CAP fits it you cut the fins off and the the internal spiral with a Dremel https://www.autodoc.co.uk/metzger/12821714. I used black high temp gasket silicone to seal. you can also probably cut out the diaphragm.

If this was useful to you please post me REP :-)
Hello there
I'm currently looking at an N53 325i from 2007, car has full BMW service history and injector recall was done in 2012. 2 injectors along with the coil packs were replaced in 2017 again. Judging by the pictures the car has somewhat of a black exhaust. You reckon this may have been an issue of the past? such as injector issue or NOx(recall was done), or is this most likely a current problem and therefore I should keep away from this car? I was thinking of diagnosing the car using INPA, however, I am a bit of a noob when it comes to such complicated software
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #342
OliSharp
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 330i Highline MSport

Hi Hxm99

really you need to know what injectors are in the car now - ideally a full set of index 11. It'll take you about half an hour to remove the engine cover and check, and put it all back together. Pretty easy to do, just make sure you're 100% happy with the rest of the car before you do this.

Starting the car from cold should give you a good idea if there are any injector problems (it won't run smoothly). Make sure the car is actually cold though, if the seller has run it round the block before you check it this might not show up. Open the bonnet and put your hand down the exhaust side of the engine to check it's cold before you start it (don't burn your hand though!)

If you're going to plug in a laptop, check the smooth running values on cold start, then go for a test drive and check they're the same with a warm engine.
Appreciate 1
Hxm991.50
      02-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #343
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
well...£400 is definitely less than a sum of my own costs with noxem up to now...not taking into account my time...

also...if I had original nox exchanged by bmw garage (they have about 20% discounts for cars above 10 years here) I would pay about gbp 450 (that time in mid 2019...since nox is now bit more expensive) and if something went wrong within X months the claim/ exchange would be definitely easier with a chance of free replacement car; when I claimed noxem and requested them to cover aditional costs I had with the failed noxem they refused...and when I told them that I am dissapointed and would share that experience they responded that I was put on the black list for any future orders/claims (I guess that is customer service Level 5)...the same happened to the guy with probe failing within 2years...

my learning from that experience is to always calculate upftront...for risks and potential aditional costs when purchasing something experimental
definitely worth figuring the value of your own time/labour into calculations. In the UK the nox cost £400 and comes with a 2 year warranty from bmw. Noxem seems tempting but not enough value to make it worthwhile over oem nox. If noxem was around half price of oem i would try it.

Btw my CCV was absolutelt destroyed for over 10k miles and it didnt increase my oil consumption.. wierd
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:47 PM   #344
Hxm99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E93

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 4 series conve ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliSharp View Post
Hi Hxm99

really you need to know what injectors are in the car now - ideally a full set of index 11. It'll take you about half an hour to remove the engine cover and check, and put it all back together. Pretty easy to do, just make sure you're 100% happy with the rest of the car before you do this.

Starting the car from cold should give you a good idea if there are any injector problems (it won't run smoothly). Make sure the car is actually cold though, if the seller has run it round the block before you check it this might not show up. Open the bonnet and put your hand down the exhaust side of the engine to check it's cold before you start it (don't burn your hand though!)

If you're going to plug in a laptop, check the smooth running values on cold start, then go for a test drive and check they're the same with a warm engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliSharp View Post
Hi Hxm99

hello there!
I think it'll be hard to convince the owner to allow me to strip the engine cover
he did agree on a cold start, I'm viewing the car this Saturday, god willing. also if I run carly on the car the codes should come up right?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:22 AM   #345
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

It should tell you in the paper work what injectors were fitted.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much, if the cold start it good then you're good to go. I've got sooty exhaust tips but a smooth cold start... did have a rough cold start for a while but it made no difference, car still ran fine and did all the mode switching no issue.

I would recommend scanning the car with carly. If you've got nox sensor error codes which is possible, new sensors are £300 or so - so bare that in mind. They can be repaired for a lot less than that though.

Don't get too hyped on the injectors. I've got jndex 7 in mine. The only issue I have which is more complicated to fix is the NOx Cat aging code.
Appreciate 1
Hxm991.50
      03-04-2021, 04:33 AM   #346
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
definitely worth figuring the value of your own time/labour into calculations. In the UK the nox cost £400 and comes with a 2 year warranty from bmw. Noxem seems tempting but not enough value to make it worthwhile over oem nox. If noxem was around half price of oem i would try it.

Btw my CCV was absolutelt destroyed for over 10k miles and it didnt increase my oil consumption.. wierd
Please share more intel on your destroyed CCV...how did you realized, what were the signs etc. Usually, the oil consumption increases with broken CCV as the ventil stays open and allows more oil vapors to be sucked from crankcase into intake manifold where it partly condensates and floods small disa. Maybe you were lucky that the venil stayed in closed position?

As I have oil catch tank installed I regularly check the oil consumtion through this channel....and with working CCV it is up to 0,5l of oil on 10,000km. Some of my friends with oil catch tank diagnosed the broken CCV when the consumption of oil through CCV suddenly doubled...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 08:39 PM   #347
zets
Japan
Rep
Drives: e91lci 25i

ebay injectors from china

Hi. Does anyone know if this injector genuine OEM part?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29436073018...temCondition=3

If somebody bought it from this seller, share the experience please.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 02:38 AM   #348
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Genuine or not, the seller doesn't know his injectors. The part number he quotes is not for the BMW models listed.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 04:10 AM   #349
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zets View Post

Thank you.
Don't do it. They are not particularly cheap and are Chinese knock offs, not genuine.

Ml performance have them for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 04:54 AM   #350
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
Quote:

Thank you.
Don't do it. They are not particularly cheap and are Chinese knock offs, not genuine.

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.

Most importantly these are n54 injectors not n53
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #351
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Most importantly these are n54 injectors not n53
Erm...the part number quoted and shown on the injector is for an N53 injector.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:45 AM   #352
zets
Japan
Rep
Drives: e91lci 25i

Quote:

Delivery and custom clearance is quiet expensive. Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0