E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DPF Cleaner (Additive)

12-03-2018, 03:07 AM   #89
m_star01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 320i m sport business ed.

I used forte product n my e90 320d. On one occasion I as normal added the turbo cleaner I went to Oxford which is a good 1hr+ drive and 40 mins in my turbo started making a noise then lost all power. Long story short turbo went. I had regular services etc etc

This could be coiencdence or pure fluke I have not used since. Tell me I maybe overreacting but my 320d only did 47k miles and I only started using additives and that happened. Could be bad luck but just thought I share my experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #90
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Random question and only found this thread through searching in preparation for running my first diesel!!!

Is there an issue with clearing codes and warranty - if it goes to the dealer for something related to the DPF can they see dozens of logged and cleared faults?!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #91
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

once cleared i doubt it will be stored,but if there is a fault,,then irt will come straight back after clearing
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #92
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpom23 View Post
Random question and only found this thread through searching in preparation for running my first diesel!!!

Is there an issue with clearing codes and warranty - if it goes to the dealer for something related to the DPF can they see dozens of logged and cleared faults?!
Clearing codes won't affect your warranty, unless the warranty has some pretty crazy terms. There is really no harm in clearing codes though, so I can't see it causing any issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #93
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

My dpf back pressures were triggering the stage 2, 481A code again meaning above 45mb and using the c110 code reader to trigger an active regen was getting troublesome so I popped in a £6 bottle of carplan dpf cleaner into a full tank of fuel. It didn't seem to do much at first but after 1/2 tank I managed to use the c110 to trigger an active regen as I am now doing long trips in this car again (175miles each way). The back pressure has then not gone above 12mb for the last 1000miles and I noticed even though back pressure was still easily within limits before even a stage 1, 480A error, it automatically did an active regen today...the back pressure is now registering 0-1mb at idle!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #94
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

So do you think it's the dpf cleaner or long trips that fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #95
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

I was doing long trips before I put the dpf cleaner in and the back pressure was always hovering between 20-30mb .. obviously once the 480 error has registered, it would not actively regen ..I'm now getting 700+miles range!!! 54mpg on the dash but realistic about 52mpg as I do also hit some traffic...say for 1 he each way... crawling... pleases
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #96
Darkswarmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2del View Post
Hopefully this'll be the final update from me regarding my DPF :-)

So, in short, I'm now very confident that the issue is now fixed, and the DPF is as 'clean' as it needs to be to perform active regeneration when needed.

Firstly, here's what I've learned:
  • Fault code 480A is caused by increased backpressure at DPF. Once this fault is logged, the DPF will NOT attempt regenerate. It will also abort any regen currently ongoing.
  • Fault code 481A is caused by significantly increased backpressure. Once this is logged, the iDrive or OBC will log "Particle Filter! Possible to continue journey..." This will reappear within 10 minutes of engine being switched on, provided 481A is present.
  • Exhaust temperature must be 200'C for any regeneration to be attempted (this cannot be checked via OBC)
  • A speed of 40mph (in 5th) is sufficient for an active (self) regeneration.
  • At 40mph, on a level road, fuel consumption will be significantly increased during regeneration (for example, from 50mpg before regen, to 30-35mpg during regen - as displayed on swing-meter)
  • A DPF cleaner (additive) will help the DPF regenerate. It lowers the exhaust soot burn-off temperature from ~450'C to ~200'C, meaning the filter may begin to burn off soot even under normal driving conditions.
  • A DPF cleaner (additive) will not solve a DPF warning on it's own. Once the cleaner has run through the system in a tank of fuel, the car must be able to regenerate. Otherwise you are back to square-one.
  • The amount of fuel in the tank must be above a certain level. Some say 10ltrs, in my experience this was more like 40-50ltrs)

Here's what I did, this morning.
  1. Drove for 20 minutes at a normal pace, to warm the engine to >75'C
    • "Particle Filter!" warning appeared.
  2. On a quiet A-road, I began driving at a steady 40mph (cruise control set)
  3. Read fault codes;
    • 480A, 481A present.
  4. Cleared codes
    • 480A appeared within 10 seconds.
  5. Cleared codes
    • MPG dropped from 50 to 30 immediately.
    • 480A appeared within 20 seconds
    • MPG returned to 50MPG immediately.
  6. Cleared codes
    • 480A appeared within 40 seconds
    • MPG returned to 50MPG immediately.
  7. Cleared codes
    • 480A did not reappear
    • After 15 minutes, MPG returned to 50+

I drove for another 30 miles, and 480A did not appear. Fuel consumption has gone from an average of 35-40mpg (displayed on iDrive) to 54mpg.

I think it's over...

Man. Can't thank you enough for this information. After seeing the same "Particulate Filter!" warning on my dash and reading this thread, I knew to check if I had other faults to resolve first. I paid BMW of Irvine CA for a diagnostic (I didn't have a good reader on hand, away for Thanksgiving) fully expecting they would suggest a replacement. They did, just as you guys said. The tech there told me "Yeah they just go bad sometimes man." Bullshit.

I had to ask 6 times before they would give me the actual printout from ISTA. The codes were:

1) 4D32 Reducing-agent active-tank temperature sensor, plausibility
2 )4C00 Coolant Temperature, plausibility
3) 480A Particulate Filter System
4) 481A Particulate Filter System

#1 is covered under an extended manufacturer warranty apparently, so I'm having them do that work for free.
#2 After reading this thread I think this code is a good sign (my car might not be able to do a regen atm), and I am paying BMW to replace the temp sensor ($400). I would normally attempt to do it myself but I'm visiting in-laws 650 miles from home and tools.

For #3 and #4, I'm going to buy Carly for iPhone and try forcing a regen on Monday during our 650 mile drive back to Salt Lake. Thinking of adding the fuel additive as well but I wanna try without it first. I'll let you guys know how it goes and what exact steps I take! I have renewed hope I don't have to blow $5k on a 10k car...

Thank you all again for this forum and for the information. Makes owning a fun diesel BMW worth it... kinda
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #97
HenrykBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Dpf - 480a, 481a

It did work for me, and I was able to clear these codes after trying several driving cycles recommended in this post. I tried many times different cycles and was resetting codes. Finally, I went for a long drive 80mph for over 1h, and these codes were gone. DPF regeneration worked, and I get high mileage again, and it drives well.
Still have one more problem to solve: after driving for another 1/2 hour at 40-50 mph, I did get 4D16. I did clear the code and drove 150 miles again with over 120 miles at 80mph and didn't get any 480A code. In the last 20 miles at the lower speed, I did get 4D16 SCR system efficiency again.
I did replace the thermostat and two Nox sensors: one was replaced recently and one two years ago. Wonder if someone fixed the 4D16 lately?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #98
08-320d
Rep
Drives: 320d e90

I often find my DPF doing regens frequently. Once every 250 miles or so, sometimes even less. I was at one stage getting 4C5E - Particle filter system code too. As well I used to get this burning smell while it was occurring but it hasn't happened in a while now.

I had the pressure sensor replaced a couple of weeks back and the only thing I've noticed is that the soot mass isn't reading as high anymore. My ash mass is about 45g now.

I'm probably going to have it taken off and cleaned in the coming months as I reckon it's well overdue giving it's only done 105k miles in 12 years.
Appreciate 0