E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Upgrading the factory head unit?

12-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #23
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The logic 7 system has 7 total 4inch speakers and 6 tweeters.
and one of the 4 inch is in the dash. Its 9 channel system.
676 hi fi has 4 pairs of 4 inch speaker with tweeters.
your rear deck should have those to.
You should start reading the BMW stereo types links all this
info is in them and more.
Yeah i understand which speakers I have but im saying the logic 7 kit i sent a photo of includes more speakers than my car has space for, so would I just not include them?

I also found a video on youtube of a guy installing regular rockford fosgate speakers in his e9x. People have been saying this isnt possible but all he did was mount them on top of the door instead of inside it to clear the window. If this is possible with all 4" speakers, why wouldnt I just replace all the mids with nice new ones from rockford or kicker or something of that nature instead of spending $180 on used logic 7 speakers or even $500 on a speaker upgrade kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #24
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
Yeah i understand which speakers I have but im saying the logic 7 kit i sent a photo of includes more speakers than my car has space for, so would I just not include them?

I also found a video on youtube of a guy installing regular rockford fosgate speakers in his e9x. People have been saying this isnt possible but all he did was mount them on top of the door instead of inside it to clear the window. If this is possible with all 4" speakers, why wouldnt I just replace all the mids with nice new ones from rockford or kicker or something of that nature instead of spending $180 on used logic 7 speakers or even $500 on a speaker upgrade kit?
I don't think anyone is saying that you couldn't. A lot of people here have major brands like Focal or JL in the doors. Your budget and your ear discipline are the limit to your options. I've seen a dude put in a full range Focal Utopia set in the E90 and it sounds beautiful, but he spent over $6k on the whole setup.

I've seen mids mounted over the top of the door shell...I'm gonna pass, but to each his own. There are also more creative ways to take care of that problem with the right set of speakers. And you still need to make sure that the amp in your car can handle the requirements of the speakers you replace.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #25
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:

I don't think anyone is saying that you couldn't. A lot of people here have major brands like Focal or JL in the doors. Your budget and your ear discipline are the limit to your options. I've seen a dude put in a full range Focal Utopia set in the E90 and it sounds beautiful, but he spent over $6k on the whole setup.

I've seen mids mounted over the top of the door shell...I'm gonna pass, but to each his own. There are also more creative ways to take care of that problem with the right set of speakers. And you still need to make sure that the amp in your car can handle the requirements of the speakers you replace.
Ah okay. Well I guess now that Ive learned I can pretty much use any speakers I will pick out a nice set and install those myself and then see what I can do for the amp. Thats where I really need help as the amp is more technical and Im not familiar with the BMW systems. Any amp that would work as a replacement/upgrade to the stock hifi and is less than maybe $400 would be ideal, any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #26
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, If I got a 4 channel amp instead of a 6 channel like the stock one, could i just get component speakers so i get the same amount of speakers but on 4 channels instead of 6?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #27
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You have 6 speaker location hence the need for a 6 channel amp
2 doors 2 underseats and 2 in the rear on the deck or in the doors.
The underseats are an important part of the midrange because of
the tiny 4 inch doors.
Some people bypass the rear speakers as they contribute little to
the overall sound. If you have PDC the sound for that comes through
the rear speakers.

Component speakers are what you have now . (in the doors and rear)

You need some classes in Stereo 101 maybe you should go get
some local help . The things I recommended I did so because they are quality and work. If you want to experiment and try to make stuff fit that is your decision. Sorry that they are expensive I went through the same angst about the money
when I was putting stuff in . It was pretty easy to do simple modification before 2000 when cars didn't have so much interdependent electronics and off standard speaker sizes and setups. Not so now.
Technic used to be pretty good at low cost solutions some of his
builds are in those links. About the lowest he could do it for was
700 to 800 and that was nearly a decade ago.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-11-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #28
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Really seems like you're a candidate for the 676 Technics harness so you can reuse stock wiring in place as it doesn't seem you want to commit to re-running wiring for individual channels (nothing wrong with that). You are pretty much a prototypical solution that ctuna has listed in the threads he posted. Pair it with a prescribed amp and you're done: JL XD600/6 is really fairly cheap now. If you went with a 4ch with door separates off a crossover and the woofer on its own channel, I guess that could work if you just ran the rears back to stock speakers on deck power.

I have the rears on deck power with an 8ch to power tweets/4"mid/underseat mid separately and a bridged channel for the sub. Working on a mini-inline booster to get the rear PDC a little louder.

Last edited by bluewater328; 12-11-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #29
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have 6 speaker location hence the need for a 6 channel amp
2 doors 2 underseats and 2 in the rear on the deck or in the doors.
The underseats are an important part of the midrange because of
the tiny 4 inch doors.
Some people bypass the rear speakers as they contribute little to
the overall sound. If you have PDC the sound for that comes through
the rear speakers.

Component speakers are what you have now . (in the doors and rear)

You need some classes in Stereo 101 maybe you should go get
some local help . The things I recommended I did so because they are quality and work. If you want to experiment and try to make stuff fit that is your decision. Sorry that they are expensive I went through the same angst about the money
when I was putting stuff in . It was pretty easy to do simple modification before 2000 when cars didn't have so much interdependent electronics and off standard speaker sizes and setups. Not so now.
Technic used to be pretty good at low cost solutions some of his
builds are in those links. About the lowest he could do it for was
700 to 800 and that was nearly a decade ago.
Alright, yeah I understand. I have alot of learning to do as im 17 and have only had a beamer for about 6 months and Im willing to learn, it just seems like its gonna be alot. I think what I might end up doing is bypassing the rear speakers as Ive seen that answer many times throughout my research and it only sounds right when a 4 channel amp is alot cheaper and easier to find. Thanks for your help, everybody has to start somewhere (and somehow) I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #30
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really seems like you're a candidate for the 676 Technics harness so you can reuse stock wiring in place as it doesn't seem you want to commit to re-running wiring for individual channels (nothing wrong with that). You are pretty much a prototypical solution that ctuna has listed in the threads he posted. Pair it with a prescribed amp and you're done: JL XD600/6 is really fairly cheap now. If you went with a 4ch with door separates off a crossover and the woofer on its own channel, I guess that could work if you just ran the rears back to stock speakers on deck power.

I have the rears on deck power with an 8ch to power tweets/4"mid/underseat mid separately and a bridged channel for the sub. Working on a mini-inline booster to get the rear PDC a little louder.
Well I dont have PDC ( if when you say that you mean parking distance control), so I plan to bypass those. I have seen that JL amp alot and when i go to look at it, its about $550? I saw a few people got theirs for around $350 so Ill keep looking, but are there any solid 4 channel amps I could use that are cheaper? Also, you are right as I really dont want to re run wires. Ive had horrible experiences with that in the past with other vehicles so Ill be sure to look into the technic harness. Other than that if you or ctuna have any other suggestions or tips they are all appreciated greatly... thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #31
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also I forgot to mention If i got a 4 channel amp I would power the front doors and then the under-seat woofers, one on each channel and a door on each channel. I will do more research to see what you guys mean by deck power for the rear speakers though.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #32
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you don't have PDC, I'd just as soon forget about the rear speakers and just disconnect; as the only thing you'd need from there is the backup beeps. All the back speakers would do then for you would be the potential to create unwanted echos. Gongs (for non-PDC alerts) play off the front speakers anyway.

And yes, if you nixed the rears, you could get away with a 4-ch:
2ch - doors (use speaker manufacturers crossover to split to tweeters and 4" mid)
2ch - underseat mid/woofers.

Just make sure it runs enough power.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #33
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you don't have PDC, I'd just as soon forget about the rear speakers and just disconnect; as the only thing you'd need from there is the backup beeps. All the back speakers would do then for you would be the potential to create unwanted echos. Gongs (for non-PDC alerts) play off the front speakers anyway.

And yes, if you nixed the rears, you could get away with a 4-ch:
2ch - doors (use speaker manufacturers crossover to split to tweeters and 4" mid)
2ch - underseat mid/woofers.

Just make sure it runs enough power.
Alright awesome. Thats the answer I have been looking for I don't have reverse beeps or anything so it wont be a loss if I disconnect those speakers I guess. Anyway, what Ill do now is see if I can find a nice 4 channel amp and some aftermarket speakers and tweeters. Im assuming any 4 channel amp will work with the technic 676 harness and rear speakers not wired in, with the appropriate output for the speakers of my choosing. Thanks for the help guys, I know Ive been a pain. If you have any other helpful suggestions for an amp or speakers or anything else at all let me know as Im completely new to the beamer audio thing. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #34
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Alright. So Ive been looking around and i came across the Alpine MRV-F300 amp. It produces 50 watts rms per channel and its a 4 channel amp. Then I looked at speakers and it seems 2 way speakers are very popular, so would you guys recommend getting a pair of 2 way mids and leaving the stock tweeters, getting two way speakers and taking away the stock tweeters, getting two way speakers and upgrading the stock tweeters, or lastly getting regular mid speakers and upgrading the stock tweeters?

Update** I think I have found the speakers I want, and if I get them I will remove the factory tweeters. These speakers are the kicker 43CSC44 4" two way speakers and take 50 watts rms so they would be perfect for that alpine amp. But still, please let me know if you think this will work or if you have any other suggestions!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #35
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Coaxial speakers should only be used if there is no other option.
Ignore the speakers for now. ONLY buy speaker that are known
to fit.
Or get one pair of those L7 speakers.
There used to be and MB quart BMW three way set on sale a couple of
years ago but that has long passed.

One of the big problems with these cars is almost nothing will
fit due to the thin doors .
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #36
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Coaxial speakers should only be used if there is no other option.
Ignore the speakers for now. ONLY buy speaker that are known
to fit.
Or get one pair of those L7 speakers.
There used to be and MB quart BMW three way set on sale a couple of
years ago but that has long passed.

One of the big problems with these cars is almost nothing will
fit due to the thin doors .
Well as i said before I plan on top mounting them to allow more more speaker options. The plain mid range speakers are expensive and I dont wanna pay all that when I can get coaxial speakers for 1/5 of the price all the way to maybe 1/10 of the price. But, back to what you said, why wouldn't you recommend coaxial or 2 way speakers?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #37
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

They don't separate the highs form the mid frequency's
very well. There is also interference and different forms
of distortion caused but them being physically located together.

Do some research there are many articles like the following

https://stereochamp.com/component-vs-coaxial-speakers/

Last edited by ctuna; 12-11-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #38
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They don't separate the highs form the mid frequency's
very well.
Hm. Okay well with that amp picked out, which speakers would you recommend? Im not looking to spend any more than $100 for 2 mids and 2 tweeters or 2 two way speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #39
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

You won't find anything good for under $100, stock hifi will probably be better.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #40
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You won't find anything good for under $100, stock hifi will probably be better.
Would you recommend buying that amp and keeping the hifi speakers then? I dont know if they can handle 50 watts rms though.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #41
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would you recommend buying that amp and keeping the hifi speakers then? I dont know if they can handle 50 watts rms though.
You can certainly try that. There are a lot of car-audio shops that will say that for BMW owners. Upgrade the amp, listen to it, then decide if you want to replace speakers or if it was good enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #42
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

I'd recommend saving a little more and buying a GOOD set of speakers(not coaxial), but that's just me/mho.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #43
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

The hi fi speakers are 2 ohm that means 50 watts at 4 ohm rating
is something like 75 at 2 ohms. That being said I ran my Hi Fi of
the xd 600 for a few days and the rears are still stock . So that is running
them at 100 watts. If you don't slam the volume you probably won't
have a problem. Technics quick and dirty upgrade for the Hi Fi system
was to just put in a an xd 600 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #44
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If coaxial speakers provide sound better than the stock HiFi at all, in any way, then thats what I want to go with due to their price. And just by looking at them they look like they will perform better. So unless there is any big reason that I shouldn't I believe the set up I will go with is the 4 channel Alpine amp as mentioned previously and then those Kicker 4" coaxial speakers. Once installed I will take out the factory tweeters as they will more than likely not be needed any longer. Then I will have to figure out an upgrade for the woofers under the seats unless they can handle 50 watts a piece.
Appreciate 0