E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > So I have 29F4 AND 29F5 codes...

12-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

So I have 29F4 AND 29F5 codes...

So I have 29F4 and 29F5 codes. I replaced both post cat O2 sensors. Should I replace the precat O2 sensors. Or is it a cat issue and I need new ones?

The check engine light does come on but there is no loss in power.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The codes tell you what they tell you. It either says post cat or pre-cat sensors.. it's one or the other, not both.

BTW, post-cat sensors can still affect long term fuel adaptations. They are *mostly* for emissions, but not completely ignored (because the DME tries to match emissions targets, too).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
The codes tell you what they tell you. It either says post cat or pre-cat sensors.. it's one or the other, not both.

BTW, post-cat sensors can still affect long term fuel adaptations. They are *mostly* for emissions, but not completely ignored (because the DME tries to match emissions targets, too).
So I'll probably need a new exhaust manifold correct? Should I risk it with a High flow cat?
And clearing adaptions probably won't do anything right?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Actually can I somehow code it out with the Protool?
I'll try using a spacer first. Maybe that'll work.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

you can't delete errors with 'coding'. that is flash tuning.

you could try clearing errors resetting adaptations, it's not going to hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Could be MAF sensor connectors. Try removing and re-seating the connector a bunch of times to clean the contact points and I bet that will make the CEL go away. I went as far as replacing the connectors and it worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Could be MAF sensor connectors. Try removing and re-seating the connector a bunch of times to clean the contact points and I bet that will make the CEL go away. I went as far as replacing the connectors and it worked like a charm.
Wouldn't I throw codes for the MAF then?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Wouldn't I throw codes for the MAF then?
You would think so but I went on a troubleshooting journey to get to that solution. I don't have time to spell it all out here right now but the intermittent connection on the MAF created all these weird related codes like the ones your getting. I just kept getting the O2 sensor related issues that changed from one bank to the other at random. The best part of my suggestion is its free to try and super easy to do. Just unplug and plug the connector in a bunch of times to clean the contact points before your next longish drive. Don't clear the codes, but if after one or two drives the CEL goes away you know its this. The bad thing is you already spent the money on new O2 sensors. I was about to do the same before I miraculously came across this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905209

See page two for a link from PhaseP that ultimately lead to me fixing my issues as per the above. I know the codes don't exactly match up but at this point its worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Delete the MAF. Problem sovled.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
You would think so but I went on a troubleshooting journey to get to that solution. I don't have time to spell it all out here right now but the intermittent connection on the MAF created all these weird related codes like the ones your getting. I just kept getting the O2 sensor related issues that changed from one bank to the other at random. The best part of my suggestion is its free to try and super easy to do. Just unplug and plug the connector in a bunch of times to clean the contact points before your next longish drive. Don't clear the codes, but if after one or two drives the CEL goes away you know its this. The bad thing is you already spent the money on new O2 sensors. I was about to do the same before I miraculously came across this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905209

See page two for a link from PhaseP that ultimately lead to me fixing my issues as per the above. I know the codes don't exactly match up but at this point its worth a shot.
Hmm I'll give it a shot. Do you think I should put electrical grease?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Hmm I'll give it a shot. Do you think I should put electrical grease?
I did when I replaced the connectors, can't hurt as far as I'm concerned. Since the fix I've been CEL free for a year.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #12
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

I would also check exhaust leak close the O2 sensors.
Look for any black sooth at the first junction between header pipes and mid pipes that come right after the rear 02 sensors. Also any black sooth on any of the welds close to any of the 02 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:29 AM   #13
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
I would also check exhaust leak close the O2 sensors.
Look for any black sooth at the first junction between header pipes and mid pipes that come right after the rear 02 sensors. Also any black sooth on any of the welds close to any of the 02 sensors.
Good point. The gaskets in the exhaust were changed because they were leaking badly.

I managed to put a 2.5" extender on the sensor that was giving me problems (the others were left alone.). And a different code for the sensor showed up about 2 weeks ago. The original code popped up a few days ago. So maybe the extender is too long? But at least the service soon hasn't showed up and managed to pass inspection. So progres I guess?

Does anyone know if I can gut the cats or get catless headers and put in O2 extenders so codes don't show up?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Don't gut the cats. That will result in worse performance.

If you just want the codes to go away, get them deleted.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #15
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't gut the cats. That will result in worse performance.

If you just want the codes to go away, get them deleted.
Codes or cats deleted?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

codes
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #17
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
codes
How though? Is it possible with the Protool? I'm assuming it's not the same as clearing them.

Edit: I think I get it now. So if I were to get a new exhaust manifold and go catless BPC should be able to take care of any codes with a tune?

Last edited by gunnerxq; 01-14-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0