E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 pinging/rattle sound under load/idling

12-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
CameroN7887
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

N51 pinging/rattle sound under load/idling

Hello everyone, I've been chasing a rattle that is tied to engine rpm that starts around 1500-2000 rpms and goes up to about 4000-5000 rpms that I can only hear in the cabin while driving down the road or idling in park. Both situations my windows are up, no music on nothing like that or else the noise will be drowned out. If I let off the throttle the sound disappears and won't happen in those rpm ranges unless I'm pressing the gas. I replaced Vanos solenoids and the belt tensioner/idler pulley/serpentine belt to no avail. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

I did manage to record a video but unsure how to share it, if someone can tell me how I will gladly!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:12 AM   #3
R.Thillman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameroN7887 View Post
I did manage to record a video but unsure how to share it, if someone can tell me how I will gladly!
Quote:
I have same issue with a n51 and auto trans. Any answers to this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Thillman View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Possibly could be a loose heat shield by the exhaust somewhere or an exhaust bracket rattling around, that's gonna be my first thing to check when I get under the car in a few days. Mine is also auto
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Thillman View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Other than the heat shield or exhaust rattles, I pulled the upper DISA valve and tested both of them using INPA and they both tested fine and the upper valve looked good so I'm at a loss at this one so far, if you find anything keep me in the loop!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Raakhuga
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI

Garage List
Maybe Some part of the gearbox ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
Raakhuga
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI

Garage List
I don't know what engine you have but on this website there are Some possible causes for rattling of the engine/its components and video's on iT. Might be worth checking out
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raakhuga View Post
Maybe Some part of the gearbox ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raakhuga View Post
I don't know what engine you have but on this website there are Some possible causes for rattling of the engine/its components and video's on iT. Might be worth checking out
I have the N51 engine as it states in the title

Possibly yes, these past few days it hasn't been happening so that's the really confusing part I think maybe something in the exhaust expands when it gets hot/contracts when cold and something is rattling somewhere but it's a pain in the butt haha
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:53 AM   #9
maxor
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW 328i

Same issue here, off throttle goes away, on throttle reappears.

Gonna see if i can take a look at it one of these days when i get a new vent line from FCP.

Usually, if you put it in park, have someone rev a little bit, check under and around the car see where the noise is coming from.

From what people say it could be a loose heat shield. Doesn't sound serious.

Let us know your findings!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:08 AM   #10
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxor View Post
Same issue here, off throttle goes away, on throttle reappears.

Gonna see if i can take a look at it one of these days when i get a new vent line from FCP.

Usually, if you put it in park, have someone rev a little bit, check under and around the car see where the noise is coming from.

From what people say it could be a loose heat shield. Doesn't sound serious.

Let us know your findings!

I'm hoping it's something simple as that, it's super erratic though like some drives it happens sometimes it doesn't so it's pretty confusing. I popped the hood once and was revving it in park and it sounded like it was forsure coming from the driver side wheel-well, almost like coming from the engine bay near the intake so maybe somethings loose near there I'm not sure, work schedule has been pretty crazy so haven't had time to get it jacked up yet unfortunately but I will definitely report back once I get it in the air when/if I find something!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
maxor
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping it's something simple as that, it's super erratic though like some drives it happens sometimes it doesn't so it's pretty confusing. I popped the hood once and was revving it in park and it sounded like it was forsure coming from the driver side wheel-well, almost like coming from the engine bay near the intake so maybe somethings loose near there I'm not sure, work schedule has been pretty crazy so haven't had time to get it jacked up yet unfortunately but I will definitely report back once I get it in the air when/if I find something!
Same here, For me it goes away after the car has been driven a bit or when hot. Let me know your findings, won't receive my coolant hose until next Thursday with the holidays and i'm not brave enough to turn it on.

Very possible that something is loose, steady rpm's while checking the engine bay should help you figure out where its coming from. Requires 2 people, buy a friend a beer after
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Same here, For me it goes away after the car has been driven a bit or when hot. Let me know your findings, won't receive my coolant hose until next Thursday with the holidays and i'm not brave enough to turn it on.

Very possible that something is loose, steady rpm's while checking the engine bay should help you figure out where its coming from. Requires 2 people, buy a friend a beer after

Seriously haha! I've heard something about an exhaust bracket somewhere that mounts to the transmission that's a common breaking point but I'm not sure if I'd need to take it to the dealer or if I could check that myself? Never really dove under the car like that except to open the drain plug
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
maxor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Seriously haha! I've heard something about an exhaust bracket somewhere that mounts to the transmission that's a common breaking point but I'm not sure if I'd need to take it to the dealer or if I could check that myself? Never really dove under the car like that except to open the drain plug
Its possible, Only way to check it is to actually figure out where the noise is coming from.

First step would be to verify if the noise is coming from above or below, you don't want to have to put the car up on ramps and then take off the splash shield cover underneath if you don't have to.

Below are some instructions on how to remove the spalsh shield

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...d_Removing.htm

Then its just a matter of figuring out where its coming from
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:06 AM   #14
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Its possible, Only way to check it is to actually figure out where the noise is coming from.

First step would be to verify if the noise is coming from above or below, you don't want to have to put the car up on ramps and then take off the splash shield cover underneath if you don't have to.

Below are some instructions on how to remove the spalsh shield

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...d_Removing.htm

Then its just a matter of figuring out where its coming from

Would it be possible that something in the water pump could be rattling like that? Would I hear it that audibly in the cabin if it was? I took it to firestone where a buddy of mine works and put it on the lift and removed the splash guards and hit around anywhere and didn't find anything rattling but we didn't really know where to look. We found that I had a very slight coolant leak coming from the top of the engine from what looked like a leaking hose but that was all. All the exhaust seemed fine, but I was thinking about maybe a intake valve sticking or something to that nature? Im not very knowledgeable about that part of the engine but I'm not sure if that would be more audible or throw a code of some sort but this has been bugging the hell outta me because it doesn't sound good whatsoever!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Here's a link to a video of the sound if anyone can get a better idea of what it could be. Sounds very like metal on metal to me which makes me think it's an exhaust bracket or something in the exhaust hitting something, thank you guys!

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 02:26 AM   #16
R.Thillman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

engine/trans hollow whine

Quote:
Here's a link to a video of the sound if anyone can get a better idea of what it could be. Sounds very like metal on metal to me which makes me think it's an exhaust bracket or something in the exhaust hitting something, thank you guys!

Quote:

That's pretty hard to diagnose from a video but I would check engine mounts/trans/exhaust hangers and check if they are still intact and if any aftermarket suspension is tightened all the way. Otherwise my problem seems a bit different no performance, transmission or any noticable differences than my dad's e90 n51 328i gm auto .My issue seems only low rpm based and MAYBE when I build more oil pressure the sound goes away with the engine or transmission as more oil is pumped through. My issue sounds like the engine is hollow with a little whine. After about 3k rpm it's sounds fine I feel like it's either something with a pulley/ tensioner, vanos chain (most likely not), or auto trans(gm). Going to post a video asap. I know it's just a sound but it's starting to get a annoying. Any other feed back thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0