E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Small scratch on bumper, Insurance claim.

05-02-2019, 05:22 AM   #1
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

Small scratch on bumper, Insurance claim.

Hi, I popped to the doctors yesterday and when I can out there was a man standing by my car saying he had bumped my car with his car. Very good of him as the last 3 drivers that have done this had just drove off.

I told him thanks for being honest and that it wasn't really very much damage and not really worth bothering with. We swapped Name, address phone number and left it at that.

I had no intention of pursuing this minor scratch repair. This morning he phoned me and said he has contacted his insurance company and requires my insurance details. I told him I would phone him later.

This guy seems to be very honest and genuine unlike most but this is ridiculous.

I do not wish to pursue this due to the impact it will have on my next years insurance premiums. Literally the scratch/mark on my car is tiny.

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

If it wasn't your fault and your not claiming for damages on your own car then the worst case scenario is a "notification to insurance" which shouldn't do anything
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
If it wasn't your fault and your not claiming for damages on your own car then the worst case scenario is a "notification to insurance" which shouldn't do anything
I didn't know to be honest, got enough on in life to worry about my premiums going up.

The guy re-contacted his broker and canceled it before they processed it. He was really honest, I have quite a bit of car park rash on my car now(not my doing) and this guy to be fair got quite upset about it and admitted it. Very refreshing to be honest.

I have never claimed on car insurance, I have full no claims which are protected, they do ask if you have been involved in an accident even if no fault of your own and then load you anyway. But I didn't know how much.

I have given a written statement to the guy saying I do not want to pursue it further and will not pursue any recourse with regards to the incident.

I did however email my local BMW dealership and asked for a quotation for the repair, they asked for pictures and then supplied a quote.
Attached Images

Last edited by criscarp; 05-03-2019 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: address on pic
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscarp View Post
I didn't know to be honest, got enough on in life to worry about my premiums going up.

The guy re-contacted his broker and canceled it before they processed it. He was really honest, I have quite a bit of car park rash on my car now(not my doing) and this guy to be fair got quite upset about it and admitted it. Very refreshing to be honest.

I have never claimed on car insurance, I have full no claims which are protected, they do ask if you have been involved in an accident even if no fault of your own and then load you anyway. But I didn't know how much.

I have given a written statement to the guy saying I do not want to pursue it further and will not pursue any recourse with regards to the incident.

I did however email my local BMW dealership and asked for a quotation for the repair, they asked for pictures and then supplied a quote.
It's a shame car insurance is the way it is, it feels that your in a no win situation with them. I've been told by insurance companies that even if your in an incident that's not your fault they still can rise it due to statistics, that is that the little incident may make you become more "nervous" as you could have gotten shook up so theres some crazy algorithms they seem to have that just about justifies any scenario that could involve increase in premiums.

And my gosh, BMW never fail to surprise me. It's no wonder I've never come out of that place with nothing more than nuts and bolts, and even they're crazy sometimes Haha. But hopefully the damage is very minor as your car judging from the side pics looked really nice! I don't know if you noticed on my car but theres paint scraped off the drivers side front bumper? It happened while I was working at the NHS and while parked in the car park they had contractors in so when I found out I couldn't track who done it, and of course insurance the way it is it just wasnt worth pursuing anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

With prices like that, It wouldn't take much to wright my car off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
It's a shame car insurance is the way it is, it feels that your in a no win situation with them. I've been told by insurance companies that even if your in an incident that's not your fault they still can rise it due to statistics, that is that the little incident may make you become more "nervous" as you could have gotten shook up so theres some crazy algorithms they seem to have that just about justifies any scenario that could involve increase in premiums.

And my gosh, BMW never fail to surprise me. It's no wonder I've never come out of that place with nothing more than nuts and bolts, and even they're crazy sometimes Haha. But hopefully the damage is very minor as your car judging from the side pics looked really nice! I don't know if you noticed on my car but theres paint scraped off the drivers side front bumper? It happened while I was working at the NHS and while parked in the car park they had contractors in so when I found out I couldn't track who done it, and of course insurance the way it is it just wasnt worth pursuing anything.
No I didn't notice the marks on your car tbh.

Yes I read that if you have had a claim with no lose to yourself that you are 50% more likely to make a claim on your car insurance in the next 12 months. Shocking and thats why they load you.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

A bit of T-cut on that and I don't think I or anyone else would notice it. I can't believe BMW have quoted for a new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscarp View Post
A bit of T-cut on that and I don't think I or anyone else would notice it. I can't believe BMW have quoted for a new bumper.
Thats brilliant, could you get a picture so I could compare? Ive got to go down this route myself once everythings done.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Thats brilliant, could you get a picture so I could compare? Ive got to go down this route myself once everythings done.
There are still a few marks but not too bad, the original paint on the bummer is quite thin. The lacquer on the body metal panels is way thicker.

Maybe I should have gone through the insurance, I panicked about my premiums a bit. I have got two quotes for my renewal and there is only £30 difference with a bump not of my fault when the car was parked.

I was expecting it to go up from £250 to £1200. At least I know now for when the next person bumps my parked car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

You did a really good job to be honest, I am really surprised the premium took such a small impact, as I say having spoken to a few on my journey to getting insurance after all of my claims I've been told a number of times even people with no fault claims can struggle and it is of course on their for 5 years :/

While there are other things that can be done, have you considered a paint pen from BMW/Online? I was going to purchase a paint pen for mine (Black Sapphire) as the person who scuffed my bumper took it all the way to the plastic but I think with a few strokes of that pen and a little clear coat it may be hard to notice unless you knew what you where looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Oh and you where correct about buycarparts.co.uk I purchased on Wednesday/Thursday then went on an online chat on Friday and went through the order details and they said "24 to 48 hours" so I said will Monday be the latest despatch date and they said "correct" so Monday comes and nothing? Start another chat on Tuesday and the chap said

He continued to say something about having to wait for supplier to say its ready can take up to a week but we can tell you it will be a couple of days.. but given what I've read online about people waiting in excess of a month, having incorrect parts delivered, being declined refunds due to x,y and z and I just thought sod this I can see in a week or so more problems and delays so I asked for a refund.. purchased from a chap in Poland instead for £119.99 on eBay, its estimated for 14 - 17th but at least I can rest easy knowing for sure it will arrive and plan ahead
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:28 AM   #12
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
You did a really good job to be honest, I am really surprised the premium took such a small impact, as I say having spoken to a few on my journey to getting insurance after all of my claims I've been told a number of times even people with no fault claims can struggle and it is of course on their for 5 years :/

While there are other things that can be done, have you considered a paint pen from BMW/Online? I was going to purchase a paint pen for mine (Black Sapphire) as the person who scuffed my bumper took it all the way to the plastic but I think with a few strokes of that pen and a little clear coat it may be hard to notice unless you knew what you where looking for.
Yes, £30 difference does not seem much and It was on GoCompare, carnt remember which company though, maybe If I had taken out the insurance and then they ask for more details they may say premium is higher? Who knows? But £1200 for the bumper repair is worrying, I thought that if an insurance repair cost was 50% of the value of your car it is considered written off. So that repair and then hire car cost during repair and admin fees. My car would be written off.

No I have not considered the paint pens, I tried to fix a key scratch on the side of my car with just lacquer because its not all the way through the paint, but it looked worse, so I removed it. I suspect the same would happen with the pen it wont be flat enough and light reflection may make it look terrible.

I have a dig scrape down to the plastic on my front bumper also from the same car park on a previous visit as this incident. Also no my fault but the person did not hang around.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:41 AM   #13
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

buycarparts, took a month to send my front top strut mounts, same bull shit. They told me they were in one of their many warehouses and waiting for them to get to dispatch "Tomorrow" was the usual response. It went on forever as I was waiting to put my struts back together. Stuff from Poland arrives pretty quick about 3 working days not including day of dispatch.
Appreciate 0