E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Miss fire I think

08-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
TylerShubert24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Miss fire I think

I have 07 335i and just recently it has been shanking and has a lack of power. Service engine soon light is blinking but no codes are being stored. I'm using inpa to read codes. I have catless downpipes, intake, muffler delete, charge pipe and bov but the car is still on stock tune. Could this be a problem that I'm on stock tune? Also is it fine to drive it bc it's my only car atm. Any suggestions to fix this should help a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Yeah, catless DPs and no tune is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
TylerShubert24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but I've been running like this for almost a year and never had this problem just wanna make sure that if I tonight that'll fix the problem
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
TylerShubert24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerShubert24 View Post
Quote:
I
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but I've been running like this for almost a year and never had this problem just wanna make sure that if I tonight that'll fix the problem
Tune**
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

There's no way for anyone here to tell if you tune tonight that it'll fix your problem. Have you done any logs since you put your downpipes on? Have any idea what your AFRs look like? STFTs? LTFTs? Have you pulled your plugs to see what they look like? With no tune, the DME thinks you're running super rich because you have no cats and both your front and rear O2s are seeing the same exhaust fume content...this means it's probably leaning the shit out of the mixture and it's surprising you haven't had a problem already.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
TylerShubert24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There's no way for anyone here to tell if you tune tonight that it'll fix your problem. Have you done any logs since you put your downpipes on? Have any idea what your AFRs look like? STFTs? LTFTs? Have you pulled your plugs to see what they look like? With no tune, the DME thinks you're running super rich because you have no cats and both your front and rear O2s are seeing the same exhaust fume content...this means it's probably leaning the shit out of the mixture and it's surprising you haven't had a problem already.
Haven't done any logging bc I haven't need to daily the car since like four months ago. So I'll start with that. And I get someone couldn't tell me for sure that if I tune it will fix it. Thanks for the input by the way I appreciate the help. Any reason why the car won't store any codes tho ?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
TylerShubert24
Private First Class
Rep

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] update car finally gave me some codes. Fuel mixture and misfire codes. So I'm thinking it's just a tune issue ? I'm gonna pull the plugs and I'll get back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] update car finally gave me some codes. Fuel mixture and misfire codes. So I'm thinking it's just a tune issue ? I'm gonna pull the plugs and I'll get back.
I have NO experience with Cat Deletes, but I would offer some observations and ask for opinions from others:

1) Your Mixture Too Rich (Gemisch zu fett) condition is ONLY on Bank 1.
2) ALL THREE Bank 1 cylinders have had "misfire" (Verbrennungsaussetzer); Injection WAS SWITCHED OFF (Einspritzung wird abgeschaltet).
3) There is NO Fault Code saved related to Mixture OR Misfire in Bank 2.
4) Since you have INPA, I would suggest connecting to MSD80, and rather than selecting DME > F4 > F1 > F1 Read Fault Memory (the screen you attached), instead go to DME > F4 > F1 > F3 Fault Memory with (mit) Freeze Frame
5) ALL of your Faults say "Fehler momentan NICHT vorhanden" = Fault is NOT Currently Present. I don't know if engine was running (smoothly) when you read those faults, but if it was, there is a HIGH likelihood that the "Too Rich" condition on Bank 1 occurs ONLY when there is a misfire condition on Bank 1. Also, if Misfire occurred at High RPM & Load (when extra-rich fueling is needed and provided by DME to prevent detonation & piston damage), that FURTHER increases likelihood of "misfire" causing momentary Too Rich condition (BEFORE DME switches OFF the injector for misfiring cylinder).

Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data will tell you such things as (a) how many times each fault has occurred, the mileage at which each of the last 3 occurrences caused the Fault Code to be saved, and Engine Parameters such as Temp, RPM & Load at the moment the code was saved. IF the misfire faults occurred ONLY at RPM in range of 5,000+ RPM, and WOT load, my first SWAG would be excessive Plug Gap on cylinders 1,2,3 (Bank 1).

You could educate the rest of us if you saved a ScreenPrint of each pertinent INPA screen as a jpg file, pasting the ScreenPrint to "Paint" and SaveAs a jpg file in folder of your choice. Then attach jpg to post here.

Chicken or egg? (A) Is misfire causing too rich condition, or (B) is too rich condition causing misfire? When the misfire is serious/ prolonged enough to cause injector shutdown (to protect the Cats you don't have ;-), my SWAG would be "A", but you can use INPA to get better Data to do more than GUESS.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
TylerShubert24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
I have NO experience with Cat Deletes, but I would offer some observations and ask for opinions from others:

1) Your Mixture Too Rich (Gemisch zu fett) condition is ONLY on Bank 1.
2) ALL THREE Bank 1 cylinders have had "misfire" (Verbrennungsaussetzer); Injection WAS SWITCHED OFF (Einspritzung wird abgeschaltet).
3) There is NO Fault Code saved related to Mixture OR Misfire in Bank 2.
4) Since you have INPA, I would suggest connecting to MSD80, and rather than selecting DME > F4 > F1 > F1 Read Fault Memory (the screen you attached), instead go to DME > F4 > F1 > [COLOR="DarkRed"]F3 Fault Memory with (mit) Freeze Frame[/COLOR]
5) ALL of your Faults say "Fehler momentan NICHT vorhanden" = Fault is NOT Currently Present. I don't know if engine was running (smoothly) when you read those faults, but if it was, there is a HIGH likelihood that the "Too Rich" condition on Bank 1 occurs ONLY when there is a misfire condition on Bank 1. Also, if Misfire occurred at High RPM & Load (when extra-rich fueling is needed and provided by DME to prevent detonation & piston damage), that FURTHER increases likelihood of "misfire" causing momentary Too Rich condition (BEFORE DME switches OFF the injector for misfiring cylinder).

Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data will tell you such things as (a) how many times each fault has occurred, the mileage at which each of the last 3 occurrences caused the Fault Code to be saved, and Engine Parameters such as Temp, RPM & Load at the moment the code was saved. IF the misfire faults occurred ONLY at RPM in range of 5,000+ RPM, and WOT load, my first SWAG would be excessive Plug Gap on cylinders 1,2,3 (Bank 1).

You could educate the rest of us if you saved a ScreenPrint of each pertinent INPA screen as a jpg file, pasting the ScreenPrint to "Paint" and SaveAs a jpg file in folder of your choice. Then attach jpg to post here.

Chicken or egg? (A) Is misfire causing too rich condition, or (B) is too rich condition causing misfire? When the misfire is serious/ prolonged enough to cause injector shutdown (to protect the Cats you don't have ;-), my SWAG would be "A", but you can use INPA to get better Data to do more than GUESS.

Please let us know what you find,
George
I will look into this and get back thanks for all the great help guys
Appreciate 0