E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread

11-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #925
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
After 5 months of waiting my Rays ZE40's are finally enroute to me from Melbourne!

It's bittersweet as they'll arrive on Monday, I was hoping to partake in the Alpine Vic Drive with the lads which is this weekend...

If only they had arrived a few days earlier

Cant help bad luck, but cant wait to get these rims, wack a few coats of gyeon rim ceramic coating on them and get them mounted up and finally hand over the 18" OEM rims to the guy who bought them off me a month or so ago!
FINALLY !!!!
Appreciate 1
DR-JEKL897.50
      11-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #926
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I was planning to make Vince’s Alpine run trip, the rims were shipped out express by TNT on Thursday afternoon and I was hoping for next day delivery so I could fit them on Saturday and then start the trip on Sunday & meet the guys in Omeo. Unfortunately the rims arrived from Melbourne on Monday..

So in the 5 months I’d waited for them, it turned out I missed the trip by 1 one lousy day…

Anyway not to dwell on the negatives, they’re here at long last!

Since they were to be shipped on a Monday I was at work (and my wife wasn’t home) I assumed the courier would leave a slip in my mailbox and I’d collect them from my local TNT depot. I’d just taken a bit of my lunchtime sandwich when I got an email that TNT had delivered the rims, scrolled down and seen ATL by sender. WTF!

Just under $4k worth of rims were left on my front deck.. Had to race home and thankfully they were still there..

I wasted no time in unboxing them for a quick perve!

Later that night I started to detail them in lieu of the tyres being mounted up.

I’ve been using kamikaze ceramic coatings a lot lately, their stance rim coating is great stuff but damn its expensive. The gyeon rim has good ratings and is significantly cheaper so decided to go with gyeon.

Being a multispoke wheel it takes quite a long time to wash these rims during routine car washes. I’m a big believer in coating rims as I’ve found by pressure washing this removes 90% of the muck easily then all I have to do is use a wash mitt and car soap to keep my rims looking pristine. Being a metallic almost black like hue, any swirls defects from washing could stick out whereas with a hard durable ceramic coating this will minimise marring & swirls.

I’ve dabbled with nanolex in the past, but found the durability is lacking I’ve had a high quality wax provide more durability but the ceramic coatings are a lot more durable and will last 2+ years.

Like with any form of detailing it’s important to prep the surface to ensure you get a good finish prior to applying any form of sealants (this ensures a durable bond is achieved) since these rims are brand spanking new all that was needed was a good spray with gyeon prep (love this product!) then I laid out 2 separate coats of the gyeon rim (It took me about an hour to do 4 rims per coat, then by the time I finished the last wheel I put a 2nd coat on the 1st wheel)

By layering two coats this drastically increases the durability of the product from 1 year to 2 years. Since the wheels are perfectly clean it makes sense to do two coats now as it’s a whole lot easier rather than 1 coat now then in 12 months having to remove the wheels from the car decontaminate the rims then put a 2nd coat on.

Some ceramic coatings can be tricky to apply in humid warm weather (they have quick flash times) but I can say the gyeon rim was great to apply and remove once flashed.

Once the 2nd layer of gyeon rim had cured, I then applied two coats of carpro reload. This is a fantastic product, which is basically a sacrificial layer that protects the ceramic coating. Think of it as a quick detailer applied to a conventional wax, it promotes a slick glossy finish and adds protection. (this product is cheap and can be diluted & used as a standalone quick detailer/sealant)

The rims came with some neat anodised air valves (I actually like the contrast of the red against the black rims) but alas you have to shell out $300 for the centre caps… (they’re bloody great caps though made of aluminium and with nice gaskets)

Reading the install manual had to laugh at the comments! (#4)

After any coating its best to give it 24-48 hrs before use (keep out of the rain etc) so this worked out well for me as I was too busy to get tyres fitted in the next few days.

I normally use my local bridgestone tyre shop nearby, but I have no chance of fitting the four rims and four tyres into the corolla (my daily driver) so I either had to wait until I could use my wife’s car or do two separate trips to the tyre shop.. Then I recalled seeing a mobile tyre fitter truck driving past, I gave him a call and he was happy to take the time to ensure he doesn’t scuff my new babies and best part he’d come to my house and fit the AD08R’s for $160.

So the tyres should be getting fitted up tomorrow then I’ll have them fitted!

Fingers crossed my heavily rolled rear guards clear the tyres OK and the -2.5 deg camber up front provides enough clearance also!
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      11-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #927
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
I was planning to make Vince’s Alpine run trip, the rims were shipped out express by TNT on Thursday afternoon and I was hoping for next day delivery so I could fit them on Saturday and then start the trip on Sunday & meet the guys in Omeo. Unfortunately the rims arrived from Melbourne on Monday..

So in the 5 months I’d waited for them, it turned out I missed the trip by 1 one lousy day…

Anyway not to dwell on the negatives, they’re here at long last!

Since they were to be shipped on a Monday I was at work (and my wife wasn’t home) I assumed the courier would leave a slip in my mailbox and I’d collect them from my local TNT depot. I’d just taken a bit of my lunchtime sandwich when I got an email that TNT had delivered the rims, scrolled down and seen ATL by sender. WTF!

Just under $4k worth of rims were left on my front deck.. Had to race home and thankfully they were still there..

I wasted no time in unboxing them for a quick perve!

Later that night I started to detail them in lieu of the tyres being mounted up.

I’ve been using kamikaze ceramic coatings a lot lately, their stance rim coating is great stuff but damn its expensive. The gyeon rim has good ratings and is significantly cheaper so decided to go with gyeon.

Being a multispoke wheel it takes quite a long time to wash these rims during routine car washes. I’m a big believer in coating rims as I’ve found by pressure washing this removes 90% of the muck easily then all I have to do is use a wash mitt and car soap to keep my rims looking pristine. Being a metallic almost black like hue, any swirls defects from washing could stick out whereas with a hard durable ceramic coating this will minimise marring & swirls.

I’ve dabbled with nanolex in the past, but found the durability is lacking I’ve had a high quality wax provide more durability but the ceramic coatings are a lot more durable and will last 2+ years.

Like with any form of detailing it’s important to prep the surface to ensure you get a good finish prior to applying any form of sealants (this ensures a durable bond is achieved) since these rims are brand spanking new all that was needed was a good spray with gyeon prep (love this product!) then I laid out 2 separate coats of the gyeon rim (It took me about an hour to do 4 rims per coat, then by the time I finished the last wheel I put a 2nd coat on the 1st wheel)

By layering two coats this drastically increases the durability of the product from 1 year to 2 years. Since the wheels are perfectly clean it makes sense to do two coats now as it’s a whole lot easier rather than 1 coat now then in 12 months having to remove the wheels from the car decontaminate the rims then put a 2nd coat on.

Some ceramic coatings can be tricky to apply in humid warm weather (they have quick flash times) but I can say the gyeon rim was great to apply and remove once flashed.

Once the 2nd layer of gyeon rim had cured, I then applied two coats of carpro reload. This is a fantastic product, which is basically a sacrificial layer that protects the ceramic coating. Think of it as a quick detailer applied to a conventional wax, it promotes a slick glossy finish and adds protection. (this product is cheap and can be diluted & used as a standalone quick detailer/sealant)

The rims came with some neat anodised air valves (I actually like the contrast of the red against the black rims) but alas you have to shell out $300 for the centre caps… (they’re bloody great caps though made of aluminium and with nice gaskets)

Reading the install manual had to laugh at the comments! (#4)

After any coating its best to give it 24-48 hrs before use (keep out of the rain etc) so this worked out well for me as I was too busy to get tyres fitted in the next few days.

I normally use my local bridgestone tyre shop nearby, but I have no chance of fitting the four rims and four tyres into the corolla (my daily driver) so I either had to wait until I could use my wife’s car or do two separate trips to the tyre shop.. Then I recalled seeing a mobile tyre fitter truck driving past, I gave him a call and he was happy to take the time to ensure he doesn’t scuff my new babies and best part he’d come to my house and fit the AD08R’s for $160.

So the tyres should be getting fitted up tomorrow then I’ll have them fitted!

Fingers crossed my heavily rolled rear guards clear the tyres OK and the -2.5 deg camber up front provides enough clearance also!
Great looking wheels Shane and the wheel preparation is impeccable as usual. Hopefully, the tyres go on without any scratches. Now that you won't be doing any sudden acceleration, braking or turning, you won't need the upgraded turbos and extra power. I guess this is how the manufacturers cover themselves. Any rim failure is the drivers fault.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #928
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Where can you get these products Shane??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #929
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Great looking wheels Shane and the wheel preparation is impeccable as usual. Hopefully, the tyres go on without any scratches. Now that you won't be doing any sudden acceleration, braking or turning, you won't need the upgraded turbos and extra power. I guess this is how the manufacturers cover themselves. Any rim failure is the drivers fault.
Lol exactly! some people would take this as gospel and drive like nannies thinking they may damage their pretzel like rays rims if they accelerate or brake too hard lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Where can you get these products Shane??
PM'd you a list of required products mate!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:19 AM   #930
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol exactly! some people would take this as gospel and drive like nannies thinking they may damage their pretzel like rays rims if they accelerate or brake too hard lol

PM'd you a list of required products mate!
Thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #931
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Pics, pics, pics
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #932
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
Pics, pics, pics
what he said
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:53 AM   #933
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

What tyre specs are you going for? Will be interesting to see how the rears pan out, especially if you are going wider than 265mm.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #934
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Mounted them up!

Tyres are 245/40 265/35 (these tyres run big for the size and are damn square!)

I'll get some decent pics on the weekend
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #935
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Mounted them up!

Tyres are 245/40 265/35 (these tyres run big for the size and are damn square!)

I'll get some decent pics on the weekend
The wheels look great on the car Shane but the front wheels look like they are protruding past the guard. It could be just the angle of the last photo that makes it look that way. I hope they don't touch because they look mean.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #936
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Looks good, might need a tad more low or perhaps it’s still sitting high after being up on a jack.

Tyres look meaty that’s for sure, no spacers on the car correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #937
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Noice

Same comment as Coupes though, will the feont fit under the guard under load? photo could be skewing perspective but they don't look like they will
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #938
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Yeah the rays offset sizes suck!

Fronts were 9.5" +40 or 9.5 +20. I'd actually ordered +40 but Vince advised that they'd hit the strut, so managed to change my order at the last minute to +20.

So I need to dial in a bit more negative camber to aid in guard clearance and reassess!

It doesn't scrub hitting 40 km/h speed humps at 60 km/h but yeah high speed turn mid corner bumps it'll definitely scrub as is.

With the ride height, looks like the front is sitting a bit lower than the rear, I might actually raise the front to suit the rear.. I'm not into slammed cars but do like a meaty tyre on a wheel with concaved spokes
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #939
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Front and rear pics from above (yes steering wheel is straight/centered)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #940
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

I would have gone for the +40 and added a 10mm spacer, fit would have been perfect and no camber adjustment needed.
      11-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #941
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Tad of camber will have you sorted with the front fitment, may also reduce scrubbing. Rears look pretty spot on - the slightest amount of poke looks great imo, just needs a slight drop and it would be sitting perfect at the expense of more rubbing hehe

It is very sexy, I like the meaty fronts very much
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #942
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
I would have gone for the +40 and added a 10mm spacer, fit would have been perfect and no camber adjustment needed.
Spacers suck IMO but yeah in hindsight would have been a better option! Hindsights a bitch at times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
Tad of camber will have you sorted with the front fitment, may also reduce scrubbing. Rears look pretty spot on - the slightest amount of poke looks great imo, just needs a slight drop and it would be sitting perfect at the expense of more rubbing hehe

It is very sexy, I like the meaty fronts very much
Yeah thats the thing having such agressive fitment looks kinda gay having it sit so high but TBH I'm not into stance more so aggressive concavity and an OEM like ride height for clearance... (I'm old!)

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 11-10-2018 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #943
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What’s your camber set at front and rear ?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #944
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Look great Shane. Worth the wait mate
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #945
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Look great Shane. Worth the wait mate
yeah looks a lot better than the crappy oem 18" rims lol still prefer the silver 359M but 18 tyres are a lot nicer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
What's your camber set at front and rear ?
Currently neg 2.5 up front zero toe neg 1.5 rear 0.5mm toe (was running neg 3 prior to ohlins install)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #946
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

So I recently had my rims fitted and TBH been too busy to take the car for a twisty rd drive!

Last week end I got her out to do a log (finalising the 98 map) and took some quick snaps with my phone:

The tuning has gone well, and TBH I’m surprised how strong the car feels on just 98 with conservative timing and boost!

These turbos spool so fast Tim was having troubles on his initial tunes (to maintain smooth boost control in an attempt to try & rein them in from overboosting) so they’ve been different from RB’s/Pures which have bigger wheels which spool more progressively later on in the rev range.

Spool v's RB's (VTT's on the left)

My next step is to start planning to tune on E40 direct injection only.

I understand why guys go PI, but personally I don’t need 400+ RWKW I’m after responsive tune with holding decent boost to redline. I think that PI in its current guise is still somewhat crude, and its quite expensive bit of kit also!

So my plan is to start tuning on E40 DI only and I’ve got a stage 3 LPFP to go in. Tim is happy to try and see how the stage 2 LPFP goes if I wish to commence E40 tuning, but I’ll see how I go I might just wait it out until I get the stage 3 in (a strong LPFP feed into the high side fuel rail apparently assists the HPFP from crashing)

Since my car was in the workshop getting the turbos fitted at the time of the airbag & blower recall I didn’t get it done straight away. I decided to get it done last week, and it had been 6 years since I’d set foot into my local BMW dealer! (the car was under warranty and I had a starting issue yet they still charged me, vowed to never go back!)

Must say they were reasonably efficient and well organised, made me smirk when they’d said they gave it a wash and vaccumm (I’d washed it and vacced it a few days prior) and apparently the guys in the workshop say they see a lot of E9X’s but they’re all quite knocked around its rare to see one as tidy as this one. They were confused about the seats and the idrive (M3 novillo and NBT) but yeah it was great to get the old airbag out as the airbag roundel was looking ordinary (the chrome sections were looking ordinary) the new airbag cover looks really nice against the nice clean matte novillo M3 tiller!

I've got a driveday organised next weekend, so am looking to get her out for a blast!!
Appreciate 1
Pete.J321.50