E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Issue with low mileage suspension noise

06-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
09328i
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i e90

Issue with low mileage suspension noise

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2009 328i rwd 6mt from a dealership out of state. The car only has 22 thousand miles on it. When I received it from the shipper, I noticed it has a suspension noise in the driver's front side. It is between a "squish" and a "squeak"

I took off the sway bar mounts on the bottom, and put some synthetic grease on the bushings, as I have had a car make noise there before. That didn't solve the problem, so I took it into a local European specialty shop to diagnose. They said that 3 of the 4 control arms were shot. They quoted $1,200 to replace the 4 parts and alignment.

I didn't want to pay $1,200 for $280 worth of parts and removing 4 bolts, so I ordered the control arm kit from FCP Euro and did it myself. I didn't notice any issues with the control arms when I removed them. When I backed out of the driveway after the replacement, the noise was still there, and nothing changed.

I am glad I didn't spend $1,200 for the shop to replace the control arms and then tell me something else was needed. The downside is, I still have to diagnose what is wrong to decide what additional parts to throw at it. I am thinking it could be the struts, but want to see if it could be anything else before I order those parts also. When you push down on the car when it is parked, it doesn't really make any noises, just when going over bumps on the road. It is pretty loud with the windows down.

If I have to replace the struts, I plan on getting new dust boots and reusing the bump stops, springs, and mounts. Will that be ok?

Any suggestions and thoughts on diagnosis? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by 09328i; 06-24-2019 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Content
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Video or sound clip would help..

Spring seated correctly?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

+1 on video or sound clip.

Just did struts and a bunch of the supporting hardware on all four corners. I too had a squeak when going over bumps; it was worse in the winter/cold weather, and wasn't too noticeable once things warmed up. But my car also has about ten times the mileage of yours and was still on the original suspension, so none of that surprised me.

For a car with only 22k miles on it, I'd be shocked (see what I did there?) if yours was already due for replacement, but I guess it is possible.

Assuming you opt for replacement: I'd actually suggest re-using the dust boots if they're in good shape, but replacing the bump stops, which should really be replaced anytime you're changing shock absorbers.

I'd like to think that at your mileage you'd be able to re-use almost everything else, but it's worth doing a visual inspection and looking for dry rot etc. The bearing should be okay I would think, but again: take a look.

Good luck!
      06-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I'm guessing the squish noise doesn't sound like air or a hydraulic sound?
      06-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
09328i
Rep

I will see if I can get a decent video.

As far as the sound, air - no, hydraulic - possibly.

As a side note as I am thinking about this, how exactly would the shop diagnose that 3 out of 4 of the control arms were failed? There were no issues with the bushing, boots, rubber, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
09328i
Rep

I have tried to shoot a few different videos, but it doesn't pick up the sound.

When the car is parked and you try to compress the struts by pushing the car up and down it reacts stiffly and doesn't make any noise. The noise only happens when you hit bumps when you are driving. (With a more severe jolt)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
FLYIN4D
In The Lane Next To You
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT Coupe

That sounds exactly like the problem my son's S197 Mustang had. It had broken strut mount brackets. The car did everything your car is doing. Found out it had been wrecked.

For your car, I'm at a loss wondering how the hell the control arms were wore out by 22k miles! The hosed you, but at least you have all new ones now.
      06-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
09328i
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far. Your recommendation about the top strut mount is one of the things that makes me want to make sure I diagnose it correctly.

It doesn't make sense to have any suspension failure at this mileage, but I don't want to end up replacing all of the control arms and both front struts, only to have the issue be a mount and then me not buying that part to replace.

If there are any other minor suspension pieces that I should be looking at first, I would like to know how to do that also.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09328i View Post
I am thinking it could be the struts, but want to see if it could be anything else before I order those parts also. When you push down on the car when it is parked, it doesn't really make any noises, just when going over bumps on the road. It is pretty loud with the windows down.

If I have to replace the struts, I plan on getting new dust boots and reusing the bump stops, springs, and mounts. Will that be ok?

Any suggestions and thoughts on diagnosis? Thanks in advance for your advice!
Wow, I have the exact same sound on my car but only when it's cold. Once I start driving the car and the suspension parts start moving, the squeaking stops. I installed new end links because the boots were torn, and also greased the bushings yet the sound remains.

Looking at the design of the strut mount, I can see how that would cause the squeak. There is a rubber insert around the bearing, and I can see how the rubber would get compressed over time and move aroudn inside the outer part of the mount. With the low mileage on your car it isn't likely the whole strut is shot but maybe just the mount; despite the low mileage that rubber *is* 10 years old, so it's possible that it degraded over that time.

I'm subscribing to this one to see the outcome. Please keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #10
Bmw2009
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i xdrive

The noise you hear is the rubber were the springs sits on
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:30 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

It's just the accordion boots on the struts. They shrink and pop off the lower strut housing (inside the spring). They make a squishing sound that you hear at low speed.

Why in the hell would you think suspension components were "shot" at just 22,000 miles. No offense, but that just makes no sense. Don't take your car back to that shop, they are either complete dumbasses or ripoff artists.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
09328i
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions. The issue isn't the strut boots. One was compressed, so I took them both off. That didn't solve the issue.

How could I diagnose if they were the rubber spring pads?

I don't think anything should be failing at this mileage, but diagnosing so far has been so hard!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw2009 View Post
The noise you hear is the rubber were the springs sits on
Hmm now you got me thinking.

I done a suspension refresh on my 2010 E90 with 130k and have squish sound front left when driving over speed bumps at slow speed. I cant seem to replicate it if i bounce that corner by pressing.
Was looking forward to nice quite ride

Prior to the sound i replaced the following

Shocks/struts all 4 corners Sach brand with new bump stop and boot.
All the supporting rubber mounts at rear.
Front strut mount, both control arms and sway bar links.

Only thing i left to replace is sway bar bush or the rubber the strut sprints support.

Running out of ideas what to replace.. don't really fancy removing the springs again unless i really need to
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #14
09328i
Rep

Sayek, I think we have the exact same issue, and I am hoping to avoid replacing everything and still not finding the problem.

I cannot replicate the sound when bouncing the corner. I started with the thought that it was coming from the sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sayek, I think we have the exact same issue, and I am hoping to avoid replacing everything and still not finding the problem.

I cannot replicate the sound when bouncing the corner. I started with the thought that it was coming from the sway bar.
The sway bar bush is not that expensive so i would have just replaced it just rule it out.. but it means i have to get under the car and remove the engine splash guard.
Lot of crap to remove just to get access to the bushes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #16
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It's just the accordion boots on the struts. They shrink and pop off the lower strut housing (inside the spring). They make a squishing sound that you hear at low speed.

That's a possibility also. The side that's making noise i had a lot of trouble pushing the bumpstop and boot inside the spring.

I think next time i remove the wheel will check. May i ask should the boot move freely within the spring?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #17
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My wife's 2009 328i has the same kind of noise described here - on sharp bumps you hear it with the windows down, cannot replicate it by bouncing the car when parked. 105K-ish miles, original suspension parts, steering and everything else is tight and LCAB are all good.

After reading this thread, I'm not going to worry about it until the ride or handling starts to suffer.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:37 AM   #18
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
My wife's 2009 328i has the same kind of noise described here - on sharp bumps you hear it with the windows down, cannot replicate it by bouncing the car when parked. 105K-ish miles, original suspension parts, steering and everything else is tight and LCAB are all good.

After reading this thread, I'm not going to worry about it until the ride or handling starts to suffer.
LOL I only hear it when passenger window down.
Its just annoying for me because I just refreshed most of the suspension parts.
I will just not open the passenger side window or if open put on the radio
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 12:43 AM   #19
badmanners
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Wow, I have the exact same sound on my car but only when it's cold. Once I start driving the car and the suspension parts start moving, the squeaking stops. I installed new end links because the boots were torn, and also greased the bushings yet the sound remains.

Looking at the design of the strut mount, I can see how that would cause the squeak. There is a rubber insert around the bearing, and I can see how the rubber would get compressed over time and move aroudn inside the outer part of the mount. With the low mileage on your car it isn't likely the whole strut is shot but maybe just the mount; despite the low mileage that rubber *is* 10 years old, so it's possible that it degraded over that time.

I'm subscribing to this one to see the outcome. Please keep us updated!
I have the same noise you report, creaks badly when cold and then the noise goes away. Replace the strut brace and steering rack bolts to no avail, suspect it's the strut mounts but seems odd the sound goes away. Guess I'll have to do them to eliminate them. Sway bar links seem OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
09328i
Rep

I don't believe that mine goes away when it is warmer or after driving for awhile. It is definitely annoying to drive with the windows down and embarrassing to drive by someone you know.

I ordered sway bar endlinks and bushings. Since I spent enough money on the control arms, these parts are probably the next least expensive to tackle before I start tearing into struts, strut mounts, spring pads, etc.

I am surprised that so many other people are having this issue! I wasn't able to find much in my search for noises that were not "clunking".
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
09328i
Rep

I replaced both sway bar bushing and end links today, and that did not fix my issue either.

Any other suggestions that you may have before I go buy struts, strut mounts, spring pads, bump stops, and strut boots?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I replaced both sway bar bushing and end links today, and that did not fix my issue either.

Any other suggestions that you may have before I go buy struts, strut mounts, spring pads, bump stops, and strut boots?
Seriously dude, HOW bad is the noise? You are going to go spend near $1,000 on chasing a noise in the suspension that you only hear at low speeds, on a car that has just 22,000 miles on it? Trust me, from a 30-year veteran of BMW 3-series ownership, if such a situation like suspension noise is bothering you, you are in for a long haul my friend. My experience with four (4) BMWs tells a story that all BMWs exhibit strange noises and behaviors that will appear, then go away, to never appear again, or happen periodically; it's just the way BMWs are.

I think you said you already replaced the control arms and sway bar links on an apparently undamaged 22,000-mile car. You are going to drive yourself nuts. Just let the fucking car break in. 22,000 miles is so far from wearing out anything on an E9X it borders on ridiculous.

Not a flame, I'm just trying to inject some sense into what you are doing.
Appreciate 0