E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Wheel Bearings

05-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Wheel Bearings

Hey all, I actually have an E82, 128i, but I have been running into some problems at the track. I am going through front wheel bearings/hubs like they were cheap beers. The set that were on the car when I got it were toast after one event. I bought cheap ones off Rock auto (mediumish grade) and they lasted two full events, and the third event, one of the hubs completely sheared off leaving me on the wrecker. The other has since gotten loose, and will need to be replaced before I drive it again.

I am currently planning on getting three from FCP (*** brand), and just return them as needed, and have a spare on hand.

two questions-

Are there any preferred brands over others?

I have looked at pictures of the M3 front wheel bearing/hub, and the bolt pattern for the flange looks the same. Any chance anyone has compared M and non-M side by side? They are different part numbers, and the M version does look heavier.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

I know which brand you're talking about (rhymes with gag), it should be good quality. If you install them correctly and they are still failing after a few events, then I would say you have deeper issues to look into.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I can't really think of what the deeper issue would be though. I mean, I jump a lot of curbing, so I know that life will be shortened, but two events is not acceptable. I normally expect a year at least. And installation is simple, so I cannot imagine there being an issue with that. And yes, the brand does rhyme with gag. Not sure why it won't display.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

When you install new bearings, do you have any vibrations remaining in the wheel?

I buy cheap stuff from RockAuto all the time, but wheel bearings for the track is not an item that I would do that for. Rotors, oil filters, etc, sure. But most of RockAuto's bearing brands are sub-OEM.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No, they start out fine. I agree though, I was in a rush, and had several things to fix, so I pretty much tacked on the wheel bearings to an order. Really hoping it was just a case of old stock bushings that were ready to go, and cheap junk from RA, and when I put the better bearings in, all will be well.
Appreciate 0