E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AMP Upgrade - Static/Hiss in speakers after install

12-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
tylerzgl
Rep
Drives: E90 335D E82 135i

AMP Upgrade - Static/Hiss in speakers after install

Hi all,

I've just installed a JL audio 600/6 amp using a technic PnP kit. Everything seems to be working good so far.

The only thing i've noticed is that there is a slight audible hum/static/buzz at low volumes. I dropped the gain all the way and it is still present.

I've disconnected the RCA to the amp and the hiss disappears. I've read into this a bit and it seems like to be a HU issue? I have a 2010 335D with idrive CIC. Is there a good way to diagnose this before searching for a idrive headunit?

Also I have a Mr12Volt CIC Carplay box.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 01:26 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Try re seating the Head Unit connector.
Also did you change some of the speaker.
The stock speakers would be running at 100 watts rma.
Which tends to raise the noise floor.

Can I assume you where coming from a Hi Fi 676 system?
Because if you where coming from a base system it has full
speaker level outputs.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Check your ground point. This one it’s super random sounding but if you have any cig lighter usb chargers plugged in, unplug and see if the buzz is still present. Some low quality chargers have just enough “noise” to enter the audio system via RF interference.

Edit to clarify, check the head unit ground. Like ctuna mentioned above, the head unit connector ( visually verify that none of the pins got pushed out of the socket) such as the ground.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #4
tylerzgl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Try re seating the Head Unit connector.
Also did you change some of the speaker.
The stock speakers would be running at 100 watts rma.
Which tends to raise the noise floor.

Can I assume you where coming from a Hi Fi 676 system?
Because if you where coming from a base system it has full
speaker level outputs.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll find some time to take out the head unit.

Forgot to mention car is a hifi system 676, however I did swap all the mids,subs, and tweeters to logic 7 speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 07:47 AM   #5
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

I had a similar hiss/hum some years after my installation. (JL 600/6 also)

I pulled the temp control panel & radio, found nothing obvious, replaced everything, and the problem was resolved.

It was likely a loose ground or connector which was resecured during the reinstall.

Note: the original installation didn't involve anything in the dashboard, so this seems to be something that can happen over time through normal operation.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #6
tylerzgl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I had a similar hiss/hum some years after my installation. (JL 600/6 also)

I pulled the temp control panel & radio, found nothing obvious, replaced everything, and the problem was resolved.

It was likely a loose ground or connector which was resecured during the reinstall.

Note: the original installation didn't involve anything in the dashboard, so this seems to be something that can happen over time through normal operation.
Just pulled out the head unit and reseated all the connectors with no luck. Going to maybe put back the stock amp and unplug the cci box to see.

Took our the CCI Box and still has the same issue. So i guess it narrows it down to the headunit or amp now?
Im using the Technic PnP Harness, don't think they are shielded RCAs. Not sure if that would be the cause of this as well

Last edited by tylerzgl; 12-17-2022 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0