E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Side Skirt Attachment

12-26-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
ifjd073
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Side Skirt Attachment

Hey there folks, I was recently under my car (E90 sedan) while it was on a lift and noticed that the plastic bolts/screws along my driver side side skirts are almost all missing. As I poked around - literally sticking my finger into the holes I couldn't feel the receiving "nut" side of the attachment points (leading me to think that maybe they were removed at some point.

Does anyone know how the receiving side of those points is constructed? From ReaOEM it looks like there is a plastic nut-type receiver for that bolt, but I can't tell what that plastic nut item is affixed to. I have a 4 post lift and a quickjack, neither of which allows easy access to the attachment holes - so I guess I'll have to buy a good old fashioned floor jack to have unencumbered access to those holes.

But before I get started, just wondering if anyone had an idea, since everything I see around side skirts just shows people unscrewing the bolts and screwing them back in.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

The side skirt is held on by white plastic clips, square on the skirt side and round on the body side. I'd suggest buying new ones and make sure they're secured.
      12-27-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

It uses plastic T30 bolts that screw into some type of plastic 1” long nuts. The nuts are clipped into the body.

You need to remove the side skirt and peel back the under carriage cover to snap those plastic nuts into place.
They’re mostly to keep the bottom of the skirt from flapping around from air as the clips on the side of the skirt are what holds it in place.

See the second picture in this listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15458358668...mis&media=COPY
Appreciate 1
BB_cuda759.00