E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N55 boost pipe leak

01-26-2023, 02:33 PM   #1
mariokadett
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 n54 2007

N55 boost pipe leak

Hi,

I just bough an e91 N55 and everything is fine except that I can hear the turbo spool very loud which, to me, sounds very much like a boost leak. (I had an e91 N54 so far with no comparable noise at all)

very similar to this video:

So I checked under the car and the boost pipe is full of oil at the turbo outlet and oil dropped on the parts underneath it.
A confirmation to me that the leak is from there.

I disassembled the boost pipe to check that it is not broken, it isn't. The seal seems to be in a good shape (as far as I can tell just looking at it).

One thing is surprising to me, the boost pipe doesn't really snap on the turbo, it is pretty "floaty" and even once the clamp is back on, I can turn it a bit but also move it by 5-10° like a ball joint.

So I have two questions, is it normal that the pipe is that "loose" and is there any chance that I need to snap it on better to make it tight?

When I look a pictures of the turbo, there seem to be only one groove and no chance to assemble it wrong but who knows..

Unfortunately I can't do logs as my dedicated phone died recently..
Car has some power but feels like it's struggling to make full boost.
it is not tuned yet and I compare to my N54 stage 2+ MHD though..

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding this turbo outlet assembly!
Mariano.
Appreciate 0