E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Spings? - 2006 E92 SE 335D

07-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #23
kfitzy78
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

eibach pro!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #24
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

^^What are your reasons bro?
      07-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #25
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoute90 View Post
Wow that looks good, what's the specs on your wheels and tires.
Thank you. 19x8.5 et30 and 19x9.5 et30.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
Gdoute90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Thank you. 19x8.5 et30 and 19x9.5 et30.
What size tires you running?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #27
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
CSSNMS: That Stance looks sick bro! I'm just reading everywhere that you get what you pay for and springs alone will not suffice... which is the only thing that's putting me off from buying the Eibach Pro Kit. The Eibach Coils are little over budget and so are KW coils ... personally, for my daily drive of around 50 miles p/day, coils would be an overkill. I'm not looking for a slammed look either, just a neat drop to make it pleasing for the eye - you know what I mean?

I'm def not planning on tracking the car whatsoever. With this in mind, are springs / shocks alone good enough?

Would you say get H&R Springs with decent shock to get a lowered drop and maintain comfort to some extent OR.. get Eibach Pro Kit for a modest drop when comared to H&R and stick with original shocks...???

Only problem I may see is that the Eibach's drop (as many people have complained) is not what they expected, but looking at your's it perfect I'd say.. esp on RFTs and DD.

What do you suggest as top 3/4 from these coilover kits and top 3/4 springs..?

Coilover Link:
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...y=coiloverkits

Spring Link:
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...oweringsprings

and strangely, what's the difference betwwen coilover kits and suspension kits (see final 3rd link below)

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...suspensionkits

P.S. I have the SE 335D Coupe (E92) so not sure if ZSP is ruled out - any other way to check and whether these may differ to the ones you guys have in the States, seeing as I'm in the UK?

Remembering I'm on 19" OEM Alloys...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712744
.. and plan on sticking with RFTs until all are worn out, which doesn't seem likely in the next 6-12 months...

Thanks again.
Wow, there's a lot to cover here....

Because you don't track your car, most of what you are asking/looking for someone else to tell you boils down to personal preference i.e. stance, how low you want to go etc, one shoe does not fit all when it comes to springs, shocks and coilovers. If it were that simple there would only be one offering of each (springs/coilovers). For those that purchased EPK springs that were not happy with the drop, well, that's their prerogative, it's nothing against EPK springs; they just wanted a lower ride height and or a stiffer spring set-up. I for one would not go any lower -- it just would not be practical for a daily driver as I would be scraping everywhere I go.

As to your quality comment, coilovers are not the benchmark of quality. There are a lot of folks (kool-aid drinkers) on here that believe just because they bought coilovers their system is "better" or if you did not buy coilovers you're buying shit -- Well that just isn't the case. If it were, the suspension gurus at BMW, Porsche etc would be putting coilovers in their cars. That being said, there are good coilovers, great coilovers and bad coilovers. KW's are not the pinnacle of suspension systems. The benefits of coilover as described previously are they are a match shock and spring and they offer various degrees of adjustability (ride height and rebound/dampening control). The aforementioned comes in handy if you track your car and when making adjustments to rebound and or dampening you really need to know what you are doing. If you buy a good quality spring and shock set-up the cost will exceed or come close o many of the coilover offerings out there. The added cost for a good quality coilover is not only derived from the materials namely in the tubing and other internal bits to include all of the valving etc and everything that goes into making them adjustable -- they are just more costly to produce. You will also find that most coilovers will run stiff even on their softest setting. And FWIW, to adjust coilovers it's not as simple as just pushing a button. Anyway I think you get the point...

All that being said, Eibach is a large reputable manufacturer of suspension systems. In my experience they make a great product. Eibach also designs and tests all of their suspension systems in-house for a specific application. H&R also a good reputation in the industry. They both offer quality product and at the end of the day it just boils down what you are looking to get out of the set-up. H&R lower and stiffer ride than EPK. EPK a more modest drop that will offer a more stock-like zsp ride. Both shocks should be paired with a shock designed for a lower ride height and the spring rate of that particular spring. EPK offers a package (shock and spring) or you could go with the Koni FSD and EPK. The Koni FSD's will not be the best match with the H&R's though.

As to the various offerings in the links you posted, first you need to figure out what you are looking to get out of your set-up, budget and all of that good stuff. Focus on the reputable name brand companies e.g. Eibach, KW, Sachs, Bilstein , Koni, AST, Swift etc, then do your research and just when you think you've done enough research, do some more. Look for common complaints for those products that are of interest to "you" e.g. google "KW coilover noise." You may want to check out some of Harold's offerings at HP Autowerks http://hpashop.com/BMW_c108.htm

Regarding your car, call your dealer and give them the VIN#, they should be able to tell you what options your car has such as ZSP (sports package).

That's all I got, it's your call at the end of the day. Good luck!

Last edited by cssnms; 07-11-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow, there's a lot to cover here....

Because you don't track your car, most of what you are asking/looking for someone else to tell you boils down to personal preference i.e. stance, how low you want to go etc, one shoe does not fit all when it comes to springs, shocks and coilovers. If it were that simple there would only be one offering of each (springs/coilovers). For those that purchased EPK springs that were not happy with the drop, well, that's their prerogative, it's nothing against EPK springs; they just wanted a lower ride height and or a stiffer spring set-up. I for one would not go any lower -- it just would not be practical for a daily driver as I would be scraping everywhere I go.

As to your quality comment, coilovers are not the benchmark of quality. There are a lot of folks (kool-aid drinkers) on here that believe just because they bought coilovers their system is "better" or if you did not buy coilovers you're buying shit -- Well that just isn't the case. If it were, the suspension gurus at BMW, Porsche etc would be putting coilovers in their cars. That being said, there are good coilovers, great coilovers and bad coilovers. KW's are not the pinnacle of suspension systems. The benefits of coilover as described previously are they are a match shock and spring and they offer various degrees of adjustability (ride height and rebound/dampening control). The aforementioned comes in handy if you track your car and when making adjustments to rebound and or dampening you really need to know what you are doing. If you buy a good quality spring and shock set-up the cost will exceed or come close o many of the coilover offerings out there. The added cost for a good quality coilover is not only derived from the materials namely in the tubing and other internal bits to include all of the valving etc and everything that goes into making them adjustable -- they are just more costly to produce. You will also find that most coilovers will run stiff even on their softest setting. And FWIW, to adjust coilovers it's not as simple as just pushing a button. Anyway I think you get the point...

All that being said, Eibach is a large reputable manufacturer of suspension systems. In my experience they make a great product. Eibach also designs and tests all of their suspension systems in-house for a specific application. H&R also a good reputation in the industry. They both offer quality product and at the end of the day it just boils down what you are looking to get out of the set-up. H&R lower and stiffer ride than EPK. EPK a more modest drop that will offer a more stock-like zsp ride. Both shocks should be paired with a shock designed for a lower ride height and the spring rate of that particular spring. EPK offers a package (shock and spring) or you could go with the Koni FSD and EPK. The Koni FSD's will not be the best match with the H&R's though.

As to the various offerings in the links you posted, first you need to figure out what you are looking to get out of your set-up, budget and all of that good stuff. Focus on the reputable name brand companies e.g. Eibach, KW, Sachs, Bilstein , Koni, AST, Swift etc, then do your research and just when you think you've done enough research, do some more. Look for common complaints for those products that are of interest to "you" e.g. google "KW coilover noise." You may want to check out some of Harold's offerings at HP Autowerks http://hpashop.com/BMW_c108.htm

Regarding your car, call your dealer and give them the VIN#, they should be able to tell you what options your car has such as ZSP (sports package).

That's all I got, it's your call at the end of the day. Good luck!
Best advice I've had ! Top man -- thank you!
I think I'm pretty much decided. Seeing your car's stance and with OEM Shocks, I think EPK is also going to be my choice... final confirmation to be posted in a day or two's time!

Thanks once again dude.

Sam.
      07-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #29
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

One Last Thing

Quote:
Best advice I've had ! Top man -- thank you!
I think I'm pretty much decided. Seeing your car's stance and with OEM Shocks, I think EPK is also going to be my choice... final confirmation to be posted in a day or two's time!

Thanks once again dude.

Sam.
Sam - Let me clarify,,, I purchased these shocks (BMW Performance shocks) and replaced my OEM base (non zsp) shocks when I purchased the springs. The intent was to pair a shock that could handle the lower ride height and higher spring rate of the EPK springs.

If your shocks are NOT sports package shocks, you will likely not be happy with the ride quality (bouncy) unless you replace the shocks esp since your shock have 45k miles on them -- they likely have softened up some over that many miles. I can't emphasize this enough - the importance of pairing springs and shocks that match.

Last edited by cssnms; 07-11-2012 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #30
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sam - Let me clarify,,, I purchased these shocks (BMW Performance shocks) and replaced my OEM base (non zsp) shocks when I purchased the springs. The intent was to pair a shock that could handle the lower ride height and higher spring rate of the EPK springs.

If your shocks are NOT sports package shocks, you will likely not be happy with the ride quality (bouncy) unless you replace the shocks esp since your shock have 45k miles on them -- they likely have softened up some over that many miles. I can't emphasize this enough - the importance of pairing springs and shocks that match.
Oh I get you now... thanks man, I'll delve into this deeper.
Did you just call up your dealer to get part numbers for the BMW Perf Shocks or is there a site online I could use to find these perhaps?
      07-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I get you now... thanks man, I'll delve into this deeper.
Did you just call up your dealer to get part numbers for the BMW Perf Shocks or is there a site online I could use to find these perhaps?
The "old" performance shocks are no longer available (at least here in the states). There are "new" performance shocks, but they are rated for an even higher spring rate and would likely not pair well with the EPK springs. They are designed to go with the BMW Performance "yellow" springs.

The altenative shocks mentioned above include, going with the shock/damper package that Eibach put together or pairing the EPK springs w/Koni FSD's.

Another option would be to purchase BMW ZSP shocks (if you don't already have them), but personally if it were me I would go with Eibach shocks (which are Bilstien brand shocks) or the Koni FSD's - has lot's of favorable reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #32
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

To OP: I am in a similar situation in that I want to modestly lower but maintain very good ride quality while improving handling. I am leaning toward the eibach pro system which is the pro-kit springs and matched pro-dampers. From all the reviews I have read on this system, most everyone is happy with them except the people that were looking for either a very low set up OR wanted something more track capable, neither of those qualities define me and from your posts, you niether.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #33
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
To OP: I am in a similar situation in that I want to modestly lower but maintain very good ride quality while improving handling. I am leaning toward the eibach pro system which is the pro-kit springs and matched pro-dampers. From all the reviews I have read on this system, most everyone is happy with them except the people that were looking for either a very low set up OR wanted something more track capable, neither of those qualities define me and from your posts, you niether.
I feel ya man.. doing a search here it seems that pro system doesn't actually exist in the UK... :s maybe have to buy the springs and shocks separately afterall....

I'm not looking for a very low setup, but enough to basically clear most of the visible gap but not compromise TOO much on the ride comfort... I'm gonna' be speaking to a local guy who has done LOTS of mods on E9x and beyond (on this forum) and get his advice too so will post back up once I've done that...

I also rang ACS dealer over here in the UK who quoted an extra £100 (in total £300) for their ACS genuine lowering springs... besides the brand, it's effectively the same as the Eibach pro kit but £100 dearer. He said the ACS springs lower the car some 10-15mm MORE than standard M SPORT... anyone know how much the EPK lowers in comparison to MSPORT / SE? I'm on an SE BTW...

Getting closer to pulling the trigger on something now!!
      07-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #34
myfly335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 sport pkg ALL BLACK

Garage List
2011 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes that is my car w/EPK springs and BMW performance shocks.

The ride is stock-like albeit slightly stiffer, w/significantly less body roll and squating during acceleration. It is very compliant and relatively comfortable for daily driving.

Does your car have the sports package (zsp)? If so, you have zsp shocks.

Hey what tire size are you running in rear and front thanks.?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #35
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfly335 View Post
Hey what tire size are you running in rear and front thanks.?
235/30/19 and 265/30/19 rear
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #36
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I feel ya man.. doing a search here it seems that pro system doesn't actually exist in the UK... :s maybe have to buy the springs and shocks separately afterall....

I'm not looking for a very low setup, but enough to basically clear most of the visible gap but not compromise TOO much on the ride comfort... I'm gonna' be speaking to a local guy who has done LOTS of mods on E9x and beyond (on this forum) and get his advice too so will post back up once I've done that...

I also rang ACS dealer over here in the UK who quoted an extra £100 (in total £300) for their ACS genuine lowering springs... besides the brand, it's effectively the same as the Eibach pro kit but £100 dearer. He said the ACS springs lower the car some 10-15mm MORE than standard M SPORT... anyone know how much the EPK lowers in comparison to MSPORT / SE? I'm on an SE BTW...

Getting closer to pulling the trigger on something now!!
You should consider contacting one of the US e90 Post forum sponsors -- many will ship to the UK. It might be a little more, but if you can get what you want it might be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #37
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You should consider contacting one of the US e90 Post forum sponsors -- many will ship to the UK. It might be a little more, but if you can get what you want it might be worth it.

I'll def consider that. The only I know top of my head just because the name has cropped up so many times on threads is.. **********S which if I do go down the route, will contact.

In addition, are there any other decent sponsors you guys know of which you can recommend who ship this side?

Thanks again buddy for all ur help!
      07-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #38
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'll def consider that. The only I know top of my head just because the name has cropped up so many times on threads is.. **********S which if I do go down the route, will contact.

In addition, are there any other decent sponsors you guys know of which you can recommend who ship this side?

Thanks again buddy for all ur help!
I purchased my spring from Eric at Supreme Power. He priced matched too, not sure if he sells the kit though.

SupremePOWER
1025-B Ortega Way - Placentia CA 92870
714 632 1951 x225
eric@supremepower.com
Eric Nareshni

OR

You can buy directly from Eibach

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...092.780/3269.0
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
AndyDaBoss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg 08' E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Go H&R sport. For the price you'll love it. Ride quality isn't really any different than stock IMO. Less body role is a + in my book but I guess not to other people. Yes the car rides slightly bumpier but people are making it sound way worse then it actually is.
sorry this is off topic and sorry for thread jack but i was wondering if h&r race springs sit lower with the regular i models than xi models ?

Appreciate 0