E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP.... rear window won't go up..

12-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

HELP.... rear window won't go up..

HELP.... it's about to rain outside and the right rear window doesn't go up.....I encountered this issue once a few months ago, but I figured that was a glitch, but today it happens again....

any idea? has anyone have this issue? the car is E90 06
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhiep View Post
HELP.... it's about to rain outside and the right rear window doesn't go up.....I encountered this issue once a few months ago, but I figured that was a glitch, but today it happens again....

any idea? has anyone have this issue? the car is E90 06
I have a 2006 E90 with no window problems, but I recall reading that there was a BMW bulletin on a window quandary similar to yours - I have not kept the reference. It was likely posted on BimmerPost or on BimmerFest, and it acknowledged that there might be some built in fusing problem(s). BTW, I assume that you have tried the usual remedies. Most people first try to use the manual controls to move the window into one of the extreme positions (all the way up or down) then they hold the manual control for something like 30 seconds - it is supposed to re-establish the reference point for the window servo.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I have an 06 and I had that problem on Day 2 of ownership. They had to replace the window regulator
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
I have an 06 and I had that problem on Day 2 of ownership. They had to replace the window regulator
+1

My passenger side window stopped working and they had to replace the regulator, too. I've never had a problem with any of the windows since then.

As an aside, it took the dealer a few days to get the regulator, so hopefully they have one in stock and ready for you.

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Common problem on many BMWs, unfortunately.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
e90sgm335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
I have a 2006 E90 with no window problems, but I recall reading that there was a BMW bulletin on a window quandary similar to yours - I have not kept the reference. It was likely posted on BimmerPost or on BimmerFest, and it acknowledged that there might be some built in fusing problem(s). BTW, I assume that you have tried the usual remedies. Most people first try to use the manual controls to move the window into one of the extreme positions (all the way up or down) then they hold the manual control for something like 30 seconds - it is supposed to re-establish the reference point for the window servo.
Holy crap........! this worked...! Sry, newby here, Im Dustin in mt.juliet tennessee. Tonight i was at the carwash with some friends and i was asked if my windows roll down and up with my key fob. so i checked it out, only go down. but when i went to roll them back up with the door controls, my drivers side rear window wouldnt go up. it would move up an 1/8 inch then back down. I come across this post in google search, and tried it out and it worked, So thanks you so much for recalling that post and sharing it here.
Forever greatful, Dustin.(2slow2405)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sgm335i View Post
Holy crap........! this worked...! Sry, newby here, Im Dustin in mt.juliet tennessee. Tonight i was at the carwash with some friends and i was asked if my windows roll down and up with my key fob. so i checked it out, only go down. but when i went to roll them back up with the door controls, my drivers side rear window wouldnt go up. it would move up an 1/8 inch then back down. I come across this post in google search, and tried it out and it worked, So thanks you so much for recalling that post and sharing it here.
Forever greatful, Dustin.(2slow2405)
So how did you fix it? every now and then i get the same problem but i usually get it back up after a while. but i would really love to know how to permanently fix it. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
+1

My passenger side window stopped working and they had to replace the regulator, too. I've never had a problem with any of the windows since then.

As an aside, it took the dealer a few days to get the regulator, so hopefully they have one in stock and ready for you.
Yep, I just replaced my second rear window regulator (different window each time). I wonder how long until the front window regulators go out.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have somewhat of a similar problem.. At one point my passenger rear window would not roll up, and if I tried to roll down it would shoot down. So I ended up replacing the regulator (not at the dealership). The window now rolls up and down no problem, but when I do auto up, it touches the top, pauses, and rolls back half way down. To get it up all the way, I have to click it up inch by inch until it is sitting at the top. Is this the same kind of issue with letting the window re-learn it's path because I tried the techniques and it wasn't working, maybe I was doing them wrong though. Do i need to disconnect the battery and try again? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
I have this problem and it gets pretty annoying so what do you mean manual control? How do I do this?? I hope you're still an active member lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #11
Mavericks30
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I guess everyone may have a different issue and therefore the repair or fix may be different for everyone. I have a 2006 325i and I couldn't get the rear driver's side to roll up. It turned out to be the regulator. I have a Schwaben scanner so I was able to initialize it but the problem came back where if I rolled it down sometimes it wouldn't roll back up and then the same thing happened to me on the rear passengers side so I got to drive back home 20 miles in 32 degree weather with both rear windows down. I went on this thread and what worked for me was mentioned earlier by a poster pg3 bottom of page

"Now, all you need to do is...roll down your window with the one-touch function, and once the window stops, you will see that the window is not fully in the door (a small amount of window left, this happens only when you have the "window bounce back problem"). Now push the window in with your fingers and roll up your window back up with the one touch function...and wala...you just re-set the window minimum position and the problem went away."

This worked for me but my symptoms were a little different, windows were all the way down where I couldn't see them even if doors were open or shut. However, you could hear the motor trying to work when I opened the door. So what I did was run my finger from front to back all the way to give it more clearance and then they both came back up. The windows did not come up even with the car parked for a couple of hours until I manually did this. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:57 PM   #12
brtrvu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Common problem on many BMWs, unfortunately.
Hows so?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:58 PM   #13
brtrvu
Enlisted Member
Rep

How to test window’s regulator?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 11:06 PM   #14
brtrvu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Reset and recalibrate doesnt work! Front driver and front passenger windows doesn’t respond, windows doesn’t go up or down! Thank for any help or idea
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 11:07 PM   #15
brtrvu
Enlisted Member
Rep

This happened after programming new battery using icarly
Appreciate 0