E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Looking for some info on mufflers for bmw

07-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Alex613Eter
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330xi

I have a 330xi and I'm looking to improve the performance by adding an aFe cold air intake, deleting the resonator and adding a high flow muffler. I wanted to know if anyone knows about installing the muffler, if someone can suggest a muffler, what are the right steps to installing it and if there are any hidden issues I might encounter doing this. Thanks to anyone taking the time to answering my question.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Cold air intake would hurt performance. If you want performance just delete secondary cats and leave muffler and resonator in place. This is dyno tested to work. You can do a carbon filter delete of your intake as well. If you want to spend more can get an AA tune and a primary delete.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Alex613Eter
Rep

Will deleting the cats prevent me from passing emissions test? Also is deleting the carbon filter bad for the intake? i alsofigured out that the aFe cold air intake will not even fit my 330xi, it turns out hat finding a cold air intake for this car was a "beach" haha. Found the short ram injen air intake would fit it. Took me a couple of days to find out. I wated to delete the resonator and replace the muffler mostly for sound. Please let me know what I should do. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex613Eter View Post
Will deleting the cats prevent me from passing emissions test? Also is deleting the carbon filter bad for the intake? Thanks
Dinan wrote an article saying the carbon filter is useless. It won't harm your car. Just leave the stock filter. K&N hasn't been proven to be so much better.

I don't know how they test over there but it won't trigger any sensors in the engine. So you won't fail the computer test. If they do a visual test then it would fail that.

You can ask whoever is cutting them out to put flanges on it and use vbands to swap back when needed or you can weld them back in when needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex613Eter View Post
Will deleting the cats prevent me from passing emissions test? Also is deleting the carbon filter bad for the intake? Thanks
Yes you will fail emmission testing if you delete primary cats. It is also possible to fail by removing the secondary cats if your location does a visual and notices them missing.

No, deleting the carbon filter does not hurt. It has also a negligible benefit also.
      08-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Dinan wrote an article saying the carbon filter is useless. It won't harm your car. Just leave the stock filter. K&N hasn't been proven to be so much better.

I don't know how they test over there but it won't trigger any sensors in the engine. So you won't fail the computer test. If they do a visual test then it would fail that.

You can ask whoever is cutting them out to put flanges on it and use vbands to swap back when needed or you can weld them back in when needed.
maple carbon cut out and k&n filter did make a difference in performance for my car, just letting you know.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
maple carbon cut out and k&n filter did make a difference in performance for my car, just letting you know.
carbon cut out, I know about but other than butt dyno how can someone tell if the k&n makes a difference. I have seen dyno's where k&n does worse than stock air filter.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
Yes you will fail emmission testing if you delete primary cats. It is also possible to fail by removing the secondary cats if your location does a visual and notices them missing.

No, deleting the carbon filter does not hurt. It has also a negligible benefit also.
your sig shows the full meal deal of mods. Have you dyno'd?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
your sig shows the full meal deal of mods. Have you dyno'd?
Still waiting on the black colored headers at this time. I made the sig a few months ago and went ahead and added it. I do have dyno's but wasn't going to post anything until the final one with headers.
      08-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Alex613Eter
Rep

How about improving the sound, what do you guys suggest?
Appreciate 0