E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

10-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #441
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi Special Edition

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Any other Canadian BMW having this ticking issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #442
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flicks28 View Post
There has been a service bulletin. It is to bleed the engine. But it doesnt work, after a few weeks it will start all over.
I had it, then i brought it to the dealer to bleed it. And now i have no ticking noise. And BTW my dealer told me its normal, and almost all of the 3 series have the same problem, because thats how the engine was built from Germany. And they told me that the noise comes from an air gets stuck in the valve and make that noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 02:59 AM   #443
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
There has been a service bulletin. It is to bleed the engine. But it doesnt work, after a few weeks it will start all over.
That's retarded. That explains exactly why when I drive to my dealer it won't work replicate. Driving on the interstate between 2000-3000 rpm for well over the 'bleeding' procedure time. Why didn't the service bulletin just say to take a joyride on the interstate for 15 minutes.
      10-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #444
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
That's retarded. That explains exactly why when I drive to my dealer it won't work replicate. Driving on the interstate between 2000-3000 rpm for well over the 'bleeding' procedure time. Why didn't the service bulletin just say to take a joyride on the interstate for 15 minutes.
I drive it on the highway every weekend too, so it probably won't work for me either, but if you record a video of the ticking noise, you can at least show them when are you are at the dealer and get it documented.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #445
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtype0 View Post
I drive it on the highway every weekend too, so it probably won't work for me either, but if you record a video of the ticking noise, you can at least show them when are you are at the dealer and get it documented.
I did this and the SA didnt want to look at it. He only wanted to see it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I've got the same problem as you as I have to drive about 25 highway miles to get to the dealer and by the time I get there, obviously it doesnt tick. I go back November 1st for an oil change and will be leaving the car there to try and get the sound to replicate. You may have to leave the car there for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Bimmer View Post
I had it, then i brought it to the dealer to bleed it. And now i have no ticking noise. And BTW my dealer told me its normal, and almost all of the 3 series have the same problem, because thats how the engine was built from Germany. And they told me that the noise comes from an air gets stuck in the valve and make that noise.
Thats what my SA said to that it is normal, until I told him it went on for 15+ minutes. He then told me it was not normal. It depends where you are on mileage. My first ticking sound came at 4500 miles and once I hit 10000 miles it was 5 days a week. Im at 12000 now and the same thing is happening. Most other people saw a pickup in the sound around this mileage as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #446
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I did this and the SA didnt want to look at it. He only wanted to see it in person.

They did the bleeding on my car based on the audio mp3 that I gave them. Ofcourse, I did engage the Service Manager instead of just the SA. I suppose it helps if you engage management so that they are aware of your dissatisfaction with a vehicle that is considered "premium".
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #447
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 SG

I hear similar noise coming from the engine time to time. Only mine is more like knocking than ticking. It is embarasing to sit at the traffic light with that noise because it's so loud! It's very random and the annoying part is when I take it to the dealer they can't replicate the problem (the engine does not make the same noise). So far the dealer bled the engine twice in 2 separate occasions. They keep telling me that there there is air trapped in the engine or something of that effect which I don't buy. I already have 20K on my e90 and worried that the problem might get worse after the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #448
allentu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black on black w/alu trim

I did the head replacement and drove the car for maybe 2-3K miles after the new head exchange. So far, so good, no issues yet. But the only thing i can say about the replacement was...i used to get about 29-29.7mpg average daily, now i only get 27 MAX, same driving, same weight. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #449
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentu View Post
I did the head replacement and drove the car for maybe 2-3K miles after the new head exchange. So far, so good, no issues yet. But the only thing i can say about the replacement was...i used to get about 29-29.7mpg average daily, now i only get 27 MAX, same driving, same weight. What do you guys think?
How did you convince BMW to do this replacement? Did you get the ticking sound at the dealership and then they said, yeah its bad, or did they give you some difficulty? I take mine in Thursday and your the first I have heard to get this replacement. Glad you have not had the ticking sound again!

As for the MPG, Im not sure. You were getting extremely good mileage before ( I thought I was doing well with 26.4 mpg). Id reset your MPG reading and see what you get over the next few thousand miles. Maybe the new head does effect this, but I really dont know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #450
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Quote:
Glad to hear at least somebody got it fixed for good! (Fingers crossed ) Congrats! As for the mpg - with a new head you are going thru another (partial but still) break-in. See if you average improves with miles.
      10-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #451
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
At least you guys have the lemon law in the states. We Canadians are screwed since we don't have that law and our cars cost more.

I can only hope that the dealer will respect me as a customer and somehow repair or offer some options in hopes of winning me back as a repeat customer.
Anyone knows how the lemon law works in the states?

In addition to the ticking noise, I had the steering column replaced (it kept locking up and the engine would not start) which I heard was a common problem in 3 series, and the cigarette lighter was repaired.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #452
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-325 View Post

In addition to the ticking noise, I had the steering column replaced (it kept locking up and the engine would not start) which I heard was a common problem in 3 series, and the cigarette lighter was repaired.

I think its 3 times in for the same problem or 30 consecutive days at the dealer. You can always do a google search with your state + lemon law and it'll probably send you to a more legitimate site with better information.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #453
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:

In addition to Xtype0's note above, usually the car has to be < X months old when you file the claim. Also, at least in VA, the 30 days out of service does not have to be consecutive.

Anyway, if you know how to Google, you shouldn't have any problem finding information about your state's Lemon Law.
      10-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #454
allentu
United_States
Rep

ok guys, bad news...yesterday night, my "service engine light soon" came on. Im trying to contact the dealers, i'll inform you guys when i get more info

btw, the car drives normal and sounds normal, its just a light, but i rather play safe, afterall, its a $40K car
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #455
timber71
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Monaco Blue

Quote:
Any other Canadian BMW having this ticking issue?
Yep...if you go way back in the thread, I brough up this problem and provided the audio file for everyone to hear. At 12000km, Otto's BMW in Ottawa did some major repair engine work and it went away....until recently, when it returned as loud as ever. I went to Otto's and they did the silly "air bleed" thing, which did nothing. It will be going back again soon.
      11-01-2007, 01:59 AM   #456
allentu
United_States
Rep

after driving the car for maybe 3-4 days with the "service engine light soon" on, it somehow turned off today. Just in time, since i was about to bring it to the dealer for my appointment.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #457
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Still better to have them check it out. They can always pull the error code from the logs. Thats how they diagnosed a problem with my passenger side airbag sensor. Told them the light for the passenger airbag disabled light was occasionally on even though there was a passenger sitting there. They had 2 techs sit in it and the light didn't come on and I told them to pull the log and they found an error code and said the sensor was probably faulty or dirty and replaced the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #458
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
after driving the car for maybe 3-4 days with the "service engine light soon" on, it somehow turned off today. Just in time, since i was about to bring it to the dealer for my appointment.
Do you drive for short distances? According to the service bulletin, one of the reasons of the ticking noise is driving for short distances. It may have gone away if you had taken a longer trip on a highway/expressway (that's essentially what "bleeding the engine" process is, isn't it?)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #459
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you drive for short distances? According to the service bulletin, one of the reasons of the ticking noise is driving for short distances. It may have gone away if you had taken a longer trip on a highway/expressway (that's essentially what "bleeding the engine" process is, isn't it?)
Took my car in today, again, and just got a message from the SA. Said they couldnt hear the tick but they did the bleeding thing anyway. It ticked like crazy this morning when I drove it in which was the most frustrating but I had to drive 25 miles on the highway. I told them I already did the bleeding sitting in my garage and it came back the next day. The SA at first said there is no service bulletin after I told him there was one in July. He still denied it until I pulled out the copy I have. He then told me that BMW does not have a fix for it, all that can be done is the bleeding.

I'll be writing a letter to BMWNA now. Im not sure if that will help, but what nonsense. Maybe if I take it to a different dealership I will get a different response.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #460
Xtype0
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

I'll be writing a letter to BMWNA now. Im not sure if that will help, but what nonsense. Maybe if I take it to a different dealership I will get a different response.
I think most dealerships will give you the same response, best to write to BMWNA. I'm very tempted myself to contact BMW Canada but I don't want to start from the bottom up, need to figure out who would be the best person to contact.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #461
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think most dealerships will give you the same response, best to write to BMWNA. I'm very tempted myself to contact BMW Canada but I don't want to start from the bottom up, need to figure out who would be the best person to contact.
There used to be a BMW Customer Service rep floating around on this board or bimmerfest.com about 5-6 months ago and they seemed to be quite helpful to members but they probably disappeared after they started getting 100 PMs every day. There was also a member here who just cut to the chase and got the phone number of one of the VPs at BMWNA. He thought he would be blown off but the VP was impressed he went straight to the top and actually help this person get his problem resolved.

I'l be searching more this weekend and if I find anything, I will post here. I would think BMWNA is represnting the US and Canada. I'll pick my car up in the morning, hoping to hear the tick right there at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #462
allentu
United_States
Rep

I've only had the car since june of this year and i've manage to put around 9K miles on the car. 75% of my driving is usually on freeways going 70-90mph and overall average of 41+ mph. Its enough bleeding. I know it may be a hassle, but look at it this way...you may be able to use the lemon law pretty soon if you have to bring it in a few times. If i got a new car from the lemon law, i wouldn't mind. I rack up miles pretty quick
Appreciate 0