E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stopped to fill up gas/petrol... then engine wouln't start

10-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Stopped to fill up gas/petrol... then engine wouldn't start

Yesterday, I stopped at a BP petrol/gas station to fill up. Once the attendant closed the filler cap, I went through the normal procedure of starting the car. It wouldn't start. The gauge cluster showed an error icon that I've never seen before..... on the iDrive screen there was a more descriptive explanation of the problem. I didn't write down the whole story because I was still puzzled, but it read something like:

Electronic Lock Wheel (ELW) error. The engine cannot be restarted. If possible, please do not stop the engine.

- This error made no sense because my engine was off at the time .

- I do not remember if the abbreviation said ELV or ELW... but it's one of the two.

The radio continued to play. I could also switch off the iDrive screen using the start/stop button without any problems, but the car wouldn't start in about 5 attempts

So, in desperation, I stormed out of the car, locked it and went into the shop to buy "sweet nothing"... I was just trying to give the car(and myself) some time to "cool off"

After about a minute or two, I went back, and tried to start the car and I got exactly the same error and the car still wouldn't start . At this point I was getting really angry that I would have to call BMW On Call for assistance on a car that is barely 8000km old :mad: .

Well, I attempted to resolve the problem myself.... my first attempt was to stick the keyfob in its designated slot.... pressed the clutch... and pressed the START button, and the car came back to life .... I drove for about a kilometer and switched off the car.... removed the keyfob and restarted using CA and the car started without any issues.

This is the second problem I've had that is resolved by starting the car with the keyfob in its slot..... last time I could only unlock doors with CA and not with the keyfob .

Maybe the software update will solve these minor problems..... I certainly hope so. Other than that, she is still great and I still love her
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

I sympathise with you. There is nothing like being let down by your baby. Glad you still love her and her glitches. My car will have CA, I will be interested to see if I have the same issues.
      10-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
I sympathise with you. There is nothing like being let down by your baby. Glad you still love her and her glitches. My car will have CA, I will be interested to see if I have the same issues.
Thanks JamieA.... the consolation for me is that at least I've been able to resolve my minor problems without having to visit the dealer.... the joy I get in driving my car far outweighs the little issues I've experienced so far.... I think these are software bugs that can be resolved easily.... it's certainly no cause for concern for those considering Comfort Access.

Hopefully your car will have the latest software updates and will not have these issues.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0