E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > custom intake project (experiment)

10-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
BMW_E90
Major
Rep
Drives: 325i

custom intake project (experiment)

made a cutsom intake with my friend cause we were bored. it came out pretty ghetto. but we're going to buy the real supplies and tools and make a "real" one. this one was just a experiment. we're thinking of buying some steel piping and have the whole piping, fromt the throttle to the filter be 3 inchs of steel, and also get a better filter; perferably the apexi filter.
but this experiment project was fun. performance wise was ok and also sounded like it was supercharged
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 02:21 AM   #2
7ma?
Rep
Drives: e90

wow that looks pretty coool.......you should set up a tutorial in the DIY forum......
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
BMW_E90
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ma?
wow that looks pretty coool.......you should set up a tutorial in the DIY forum......
thanx i think ill put a diy when i get the final project done the right way

here is a video clip of my car after the custom intake: custom intake
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 03:05 AM   #4
7ma?
Rep

wow thats a nice sounding engine.......i can hear the intake...
how long did it take you to build the intake and put in on?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 04:09 AM   #5
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

you probably lost net horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 04:54 AM   #6
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
you're really loosing horsepower justto tell you.
you're sucking in warm air. and warm air just slows you down.
that scoop in ur grill takes cold hair and throws it into ur intake box that way your not sucking in that warm ass engine heat that you're sucking right now
      10-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #7
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

But now it SOUNDS like itīs supercharged. Ainīt that great. And superchargers sound lousy.

To some people perception is more important than substance.

And sure, anyone with a hacksaw, a toolshed and an airfilter from the 60s can easily improve the engine performance on such a low tech underengineered motor such as the N52

Really, why not leave well enough alone?
      10-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
no not THAT kind of tierfreund
So what kind of "animal friend" are you?? (thanks to Mac OS X Translator widget)
      10-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA

So what kind of "animal friend" are you?? (thanks to Mac OS X Translator widget)
The harmless kind.
      10-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Steel conducts heat as well. So if you use a steel intake, the engine heat will radiate to the intake tubing and heat the air as it passes through..

10-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #11
RodyP
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 19 Bmw M5 Competition

looks good but is it faster ?...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
ek9hatch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
looks very interesting...i might go and attempt to make one too
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
BMW_E90
Major
Rep

yea i people were commenting on the intake.. so i was thinking aluminum 3 inch piping all the way and making a fiber glass vent/box to the filter from the stock vent the e90 has right (the one that goes from the grill to the intake) so cold ait goes in.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

You need some sort of heatshield in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ma?
wow thats a nice sounding engine.......i can hear the intake...
how long did it take you to build the intake and put in on?
all e90 owners should let someone trustworthy do a fly by on them. you will be suprised of how the engine sounds with the stock intake. i can describe the sound as a kind of whistling/supercharger sound that is heard pretty clearly through first gear.
      10-23-2005, 11:10 PM   #16
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

could you make me something like this ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #17
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

sure i can, mail me a money order for $200.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 03:41 AM   #18
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Alot of you say intake for E90 will cause in loss of horsepower.
Does anyone have proof of this or any read-worthy technical data regarding this?

Cause really, and usually. Free-er flow intake supposed to give you more
horsepower. Unless BMW design is completely advanced that the intake
tubing is absoutely tuned to the max, which I doubt it. Because if it really is,
it wouldn't be so quiet.

btw, that does look pretty ghetto, but cool idea and kudos to you for brave attempt.
Its just "proto-type" so I'll let go of the design. You had the right idea though.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 05:13 AM   #19
RodyP
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 19 Bmw M5 Competition

i tried one too but i think you lose a lot of power, but sounds great
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 05:51 AM   #20
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Alot of you say intake for E90 will cause in loss of horsepower.
Does anyone have proof of this or any read-worthy technical data regarding this?

Cause really, and usually. Free-er flow intake supposed to give you more
horsepower. Unless BMW design is completely advanced that the intake
tubing is absoutely tuned to the max, which I doubt it. Because if it really is,
it wouldn't be so quiet.

btw, that does look pretty ghetto, but cool idea and kudos to you for brave attempt.
Its just "proto-type" so I'll let go of the design. You had the right idea though.

Youīll need to spend some time in the auto industry (especially with quality german automakers) to understand how foolish the assumption is that you could better something like the stock intake on an E90 with some home made thing. Development on such a seemingly simple thing as an intake can easily occupy 3 full time engineers for at least a month. And thatīs only finetuning for a particular engine/model. No wonder developing a new model can easily cost several billion dollars.

In detail: The design of an intake will typically be done by a team of engineers and prototyping will incorporate such technics as finite element analysis, wind-tunnel-testing and rapid 3d prototyping.

Sure the set of parameters the engineers will try to optimize is different from what the home-cooker (or even an aftermarket tuner) is interested in. First priority for the automotive engineers is to protect the engine and the MAF with proper air filtering even under extreme conditions, second priority is to keep the intake noise down. But then next on the list is horsepower, torque and fuel efficiency.

The aftermarkete intake builder on the other hand only cares about power and sound. But his resources are limited.

Sure, in theory, by negating filtering and noise priorities you can build an intake that should be more free flowing and hence offer a very slight power advantage. (Hence, in motor racing the stock intake and filter is often the first thing to go. But then, racecars donīt run on dusty/sandy streets or in winter with salt and snow, and the engines have a far shorter lifespan). But with a trial and error approach you often arrive at a solution that offers no power increase (or even a loss in power) and still offers the engine (and mostly the MAF that reacts really badly to unclean air) less protection.

Youīll often find that such mods are argue for with things like "it feels a lot faster" and "it sounds great". Psychology 101 will tell you that anyone who has taken an effort will unconsciously lie to himself to justify the effort. And the butt dyno is so ridculously inacurate, anyone who refers to it immediately disqualifies himself. Besides, a different, louder or even more agressive engine sound will allways make a car feel a lot faster. On of the problems the E90 faced during introduction was that E46 owners felt it to be slower on a test drive, while it actually is (at least a bit) faster. Problem is, the E90 is quieter. A Merc 600 will equal the acceleration Performance of many Ferrari, but the Ferrari will allways feel a lot more rapid.
Even dyno testing suffers from the old Psch101 syndrome. Dyno testing has so many parameters that numbers are hard to reproduce. Even small differences in test setup can lead to differences in output of single digit percantages. The only way for dyno test of performace mods to be scientifically significant would be to take a batch of at least 10 cars and have them all dyno tested (5 with the mod and 5 without) on the same dyno by someone who doesnīt know which is modded. And so itīs a double blind test, the driver taking the car to the test may not know which is modded either. Then repeat with the 5moded cars turned back to stock and the 5stocks modded. Only then could the results of such a test become relevant. Not exactly the kind of resource that the aftermarket has...

As for the intake pictured here, there are at least two errors that would probably make it cause a drop in horsepower. One is the fact that it draws air from close to the engine. And the N52 engine runs extremely hot, so itīll be sucking far hotter air than the stock intake. Also the Aluminium or steel tubing will heat up and thereby transfer engine heat to the air flowing in the engine. Warmer air equals less power.

But even the airflow itself, Iīm not sure if itīll really be better than in the stock intake. Aerodynamics can be incredibly complex. What looks more free-flowing to the eye may not be. Visiually, less obstruction would seem like less drag, but well lead air can go through quite some obstacles with very little drag while an open area can have turbulences that actually cause a lot of drag. The stock intake takes cool air from in front of the radiator (Which is cool despite the radiator thanks to the very high air flow in this area by being directly in the airstream of the moving vehicle. It actually is even slightly compressed by the vehicles forward moevment (a very slight ram-air effect) and is then lead smothly and gently toward a very big square airfilter that it flows through unidirectionally (contrary to the aftermarket solution shown here which is circular and where the air has to flow from all sides just to collide with eachother on the way further to the MAF) and then on in a clean stream to the engine. All parts are made of plastic which isolates the air better from the engine heat than metal.

Also, the N52 in 330 version has a three stage intake manifold that optimizes clyinder filling by changing the length of the intake pipes depending on load and rev. It uses resonance effects of the air to maximize the filling. The "intake" is part of the total intake pipes and calculated into the ecuīs switching points for the variable intake. Changing the "intake" can play havoc with the desired resonances of the variable intake and therby cause overall or least partial loss of torque and thereby power.

And thatīs just the obvious Iīm stating here. There may be other effects that I donīt know about or havenīt thought about. But somme of the above may be of little relevances as well. Point is, I donīt know and I donīt think the guys with the hacksaw know either. Theyīre out to be different at any cost

In short, I donīt think modding the intake of a N52 engine is a worthwhile engagement. You may get lucky and get a very insignificant power gain, but allways at the cost of engine life through less perfect air filtering. In most cases, youīll only get a different sound and no power gains or even a loss in power. In any case you will void your warranty unless youīre as immoral as to change back to the stock intake when problems occur that might be intake related and go on and offload your ignorance at the cost of the manufacturer (and thereby all BMW enthousiasts since warranty costs are calculated into the price of the product).

So to anyone who has to hacksaw around at his fine Bavarian, thatīs fine with me. Just donīt tell me you got any power gains unless you can prove them in a manner stated above, or Iīll simply ignore it. But most importantly, do so at your own risk. If the MAF starts to show trouble, buy a new one out of your own pocket and we can still be friends.

Btw. my preaching does not mean Iīm free from temptation. There were times when I myself was in search of more power on a budget. Some of the sermon up there is based on my own bad experience. Some of the others on insight into the complexities of automotive engineering, which is sometimes far more trivial than one might expect and then again sometimes incredibly more complex.

Last edited by Tierfreund; 10-24-2005 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #21
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Great post tierfreund !! I agree 110% and although I'm not an engineer at all, from my experiences in BMW ownership, I've seen exactly what you are talking about. The So-called Butt-dyno is so inaccurate and people really fool themselves into thinking something is faster just because they paid 300$ for it and now it sounds different. And even when aftermarket intake manufacturers release dyno results which show massive HP gains, I really believe they take the best run with the aftermarket intake and compare it to the worst run of the stock one. With that said, most of this seems to apply to the M52-M54.. I would like to see dynos and see what can be extracted from the new engine, you never know what may be done, but I think BMW has done what can be done for the most part
      10-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #22
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Also, the N52 in 330 version has a three stage intake manifold that optimizes clyinder filling by changing the length of the intake pipes depending on load and rev. It uses resonance effects of the air to maximize the filling. The "intake" is part of the total intake pipes and calculated into the ecuīs switching points for the variable intake. Changing the "intake" can play havoc with the desired resonances of the variable intake and therby cause overall or least partial loss of torque and thereby power.
Great post Tierfreund.

I also wanted to add that the 325 models sold outside the US and Canada also have this 3 stage intake on their N52 2.5l engines.