E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > n55 Misfires & Valvetronic Codes after replacement

03-28-2024, 12:34 PM   #1
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

n55 Misfires & Valvetronic Codes after replacement

Hi all,

Wanted to log my experience with a few different issues I'm facing in hopes of getting feedback and helping anyone that experiences this again.

Car - 2011 335i, 6mt, 88k miles, stock beside mppk and mpe
Recent maintenance - spark plugs, coil packs, oil pressure sensor, charge pipe, valvetronic servomotor all within 10k. See below for further explanation.

Last month - everything running fine until CEL. Codes were
2DCE (Valvetronic - no adjustment possible)
2EOF (Valvetronic - deactviated).

Took to my indy and he replaced the valvetronic servomotor itself and the valve cover gasket for $1300. He noted they had trouble reflashing the system and had to do so 4-5 times to get the valvetronic to relearn, and said I might have some weird quirks and might need a software update. As I planned to bring the car back 2 weeks later I was ok with that.

So far, in 8 cold starts, I've had the *cold start sequence to 1200 rpm* *after 30 seconds, dip down to 900 rpm (normal)*, then dip down to 500rpm for one second then catch itself, *then back to 700. This has happened every time and it seems to idle slightly rough but again, only on the first start of the day.

Any warm start, and once warm, car idles totally fine. In normal driving it is perfect. I should note for the lifetime of my ownership (15k) I'll get a crank or two longer than normal on warm starts (wondering if hpfp is on it's way or if it's the starter).

On a drive yesterday of 250 miles, I noted some hesitation betwee 4-6k at full throttle in 2nd gear on highway pulls. I'm on 225' older Blizzaks so I wondered if it was DTC stepping in. Tried full throttle once more and immediately got the CEL and some violent shaking with the following codes.

P0305 - cylinder 5 misfire
2eof - valvetronic deactivated
2d43 - valvetronic adjustment fault range
2fac - combustion miss, spark duration, cylinder 5
2efe - misfire, several cylinders
2fo3 - cylinder 5 misfire damaging cats
2eeo - fuel injection deactivation

I'm going back to the shop on Monday. I'm thinking there's correlation between the valvetronic replacement, immediate cold start weirdness, and the misfires. I'm not sure if my shop damaged an injector, or if a coil pack or spark plug is slighty off, or if the valvetronic needs to be reflashed once more or if it's the need for a software update. I'm leaning towards valvetronic reflash because of the fact that code keeps coming up

If it is an injector I'm hoping my guy will at least split the cost with me. Is that crazy?

I'll come back with a diagnosis but if anyone knows anything in the meantime, please don't hesitate to chime in. I've found countless threads where the above list of items (injector, coil pack, plugs, etc) was the issue. With that said, very few people have had valvetronic codes come up with the misfire.

Last edited by scotthilly; 03-28-2024 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:13 AM   #2
Raghza
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N55 DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This part sounds weird to me:
"He noted they had trouble reflashing the system and had to do so 4-5 times to get the valvetronic to relearn, and said I might have some weird quirks and might need a software update."

So were they able to successfully recalibrate the Valvetronic or not? If it couldn't complete for the first 3 times, it's doubtful that everything went fine the 4th time.

Since I've dealt with all possible Valvetronic issues myself for a while, here's what should be done in the following order:
1) Replace Valvetronic motor
2) Recalibrate
3) If this fails, update DME with the latest software
4) Recalibrate
5) If this fails, replace the Valvetronic eccentric shaft
6) Recalibrate
7) If this fails, repair or replace the DME
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 02:43 PM   #3
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghza View Post
This part sounds weird to me:
"He noted they had trouble reflashing the system and had to do so 4-5 times to get the valvetronic to relearn, and said I might have some weird quirks and might need a software update."

So were they able to successfully recalibrate the Valvetronic or not? If it couldn't complete for the first 3 times, it's doubtful that everything went fine the 4th time.

Since I've dealt with all possible Valvetronic issues myself for a while, here's what should be done in the following order:
1) Replace Valvetronic motor
2) Recalibrate
3) If this fails, update DME with the latest software
4) Recalibrate
5) If this fails, replace the Valvetronic eccentric shaft
6) Recalibrate
7) If this fails, repair or replace the DME
Thanks! That's my thought process as well. He told me they were able to but that it took a few efforts.

Either way, the car got taken back to him this morning. I'll update the thread accordingly with how it went.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 05:31 PM   #4
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep

Just got the car back after a few other things done.

Fortunately, a new ignition coil and software update fixed the issues and all is well. If anyone faces this issue fingers crossed the ignition coil or spark plug is to blame.

Unfortunately, this got rid of the MPPK flash the previous owner had done (he didn’t have it done at a dealer). So I’m back to figuring out, again, how to get the car running perfectly.
Appreciate 1
wrevilo23.50
      04-15-2024, 05:52 AM   #5
wrevilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i N55 6MT

That's progress.

I have my own Valvetronic issues, which manifest themself in hunting at idle and regular issues at constant, light part throttle where the car effectively engine brakes for a split second before regaining regular drive. This is visible on the Valvetronic live data, but I have no codes yet. I'll be replacing part 11377603979.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:11 AM   #6
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrevilo View Post
That's progress.

I have my own Valvetronic issues, which manifest themself in hunting at idle and regular issues at constant, light part throttle where the car effectively engine brakes for a split second before regaining regular drive. This is visible on the Valvetronic live data, but I have no codes yet. I'll be replacing part 11377603979.
Yep, as you probably know that's the exact part number I replaced. Hope it solves the issues.
Appreciate 1
wrevilo23.50
      04-15-2024, 09:04 AM   #7
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

just had those code this weekend, but the actuator dont make the typical funny noise when unlocking the car.
However the car might shutdown on the road...

I might simply adapt and test via ISTA+, it might run the electric motor all the way and maybe buy time.

I dont want to do this job right now. 100k miles issue are poping out. Not bad tho, this engine is all original.
Appreciate 1